Removal of the crankshaft pulley Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Removal of the crankshaft pulley « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rowland Palmer
Experienced User
Username: rowland

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 11 December, 2017 - 11:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can I get some help from someone regarding the removal of the crankshaft pulley on my 1990 Silver Spirit. I have the seal leaking. I know I have to remove all the belts etc, and possible the water pump. What I really want to know is there special tools involved?
Thanks for your help
Rowland

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, 11 December, 2017 - 12:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Rowland...I daresay it's much the same as any other system.
Getting good access is the main thing and if you intend removing the water pump, it would pay to also remove the radiator or otherwise protect it with a cut down cardboard box.
Use of a good quality harmonic balancer remover
of the type that bolts to the pulley.
I had to do this to my 1998 XJ8 Jaguar for the same reason, it was of the circular type with centre screw.
The remover plate bolts to pulley and using a locking bar to prevent pulley rotation, you screw in the centre screw until pulley loosens.
After liberally dosing with Penetrine or similar...sometimes just starts to move....other times it lets go with a CRACK!!
I replaced the seal and also use a stainless steel
Speedy Sleeve as there is no point in placing a new seal on a crankshaft that's done over 200,000klm

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, 12 December, 2017 - 10:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rowland, the Rolls V8 from Cloud III to the last SZ Spirit/Spurs have a crank hub with 5 threaded holes. This makes it difficult to pull with a two, three or four slot puller. The hub is also retained with a slotted nut that requires its own socket.
There is a rumor that some knucklehead around here has the correct tools available...

BritishToolWorks.com

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, 12 December, 2017 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly
that link doesn't work ,but got the drift lol
Mike

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Tuesday, 12 December, 2017 - 20:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, also ensure that it's not the foam seal above the front cover that is leaking and running down. In any case it would probably be a goid idea to change it if it looks poor or is weeping.

Rowland Palmer
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2017 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
I believe your right that it is the foam seal on the front cover, because when I have a good look there does not appear to be oil coming from the seal. Next question what sort of a job is it to do ?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2017 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tedious. Ancillaries off first. Water pump and then Water pump volute housing off. New water o rings. Pump o'ring. Read the manual . If you are careful you can move the a.c. pump enough But don't stress any pipes.

Make sure your engine breather is clear first.

Rowland Palmer
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 14:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul,
I will order the parts and then go to town on it. If nothing else it will change the coolant

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, 21 May, 2020 - 01:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

by the way to anyone reading this thread for advise: NO. Changing the seal necessitates the removal of the complete front end of the engine (incl. timing covers). It's not as in many other makes a pulley job, the seal is seated internally into the rear of the front bottom timing cover. provided the pulley goes out nicely, it's a massive job.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: