Spirit 3 Gas Springs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Spirit 3 Gas Springs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User
Username: free_spirit

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, 21 August, 2017 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,
Recently I replaced the rear gas springs on my spirit 3.
I did everything according to the tutorials available. Unfortunately I still have a very hard ride on both front and rear suspension.
I'm starting to think that there was probably nothing wrong with the gas springs that I removed and threw out.
I have searched the forum posts and can't find anything that describes my situation.
There are no warning lights on the dash.
Hoping now somebody can point me in the right direction.
My jaguar 420G is fabulous in ride quality compared to this.
Surely the rolls should equal or surpass this.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, 21 August, 2017 - 16:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think your active ride computer needs resetting.
Mike

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Monday, 21 August, 2017 - 17:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, were the spheres you fitted the same shape as the ones that came off? Any bar pressure printed on them?

You will need to put a ARC diagnostics device on and see what the ride computer is doing I'm afraid.

Many are programmed from the factory to go to sports mode at 12 to 15 mph. Much too low in my opinion.

We get them programmed so they stay in soft until about 15 or 20mph then normal until about 45.

The ARC computer will still put it in sports when cornering, accelerating and braking, so spirited driving is still safe.

Also check your front damper top mounting rubbers. Bake sure the top washer is tight and central. Anything else and the rubbers need replacing. Just replacing the top one with a new stepped one is usually fine.

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, 21 August, 2017 - 17:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Michael,
Am I correct in assuming that it's something that can only be accomplished by an authorized service garage or is there a special tool that is available.

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, 21 August, 2017 - 17:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
Yes they were the same shape as the ones I removed.
The new ones were purchased from the sphere shop UK, the part number was GMF1106 RR 16.5. For the rear.
I just assumed they sent me the correct item, I don't remember looking at any printing on them.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, 21 August, 2017 - 23:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mate
Yes I believe so ,maybe indipendants too.
It happened to a friend of mine after he had braked really hard and he said the suspension went solid.
Good luck
Mike

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, 22 August, 2017 - 18:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If there is a problem within ARC the system is designed to set dampers into stiff mode, for safety reasons. I think stiff is when there is no signal to the damper, which automatically puts solenoid into stiffest setting on damper, so it could be a fuse for ARC blown/ no feed to dampers?
As paul says, designed to be on hard at rest then reverts to soft at low speed. So system is on hard taking off from standstill, resists rear of car sinking if acceleration brisk.

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, 22 August, 2017 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gordon,
I Quickly checked that fuse after I read your response.
Unfortunately it wasn't going to be that easy. The fuse was fine.
So at the moment I'm trying to source an active ride diagnostic tool.

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, 23 August, 2017 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Again,
As I previously advised I have been trying to source the active ride diagnostic tool. I have now ordered same.
Could anybody tell me where the automatic ride control and power ECU's are located.
The workshop manuals don't apply to my vehicle as it is a Spirit 3 and I believe the glove box and fuse panel areas have been altered.
I removed one cover under the glovebox and that exposed only relays.
I tried to remove the back inside panel from the glovebox by removing 4 small screws and that won't budge.
I guess I need a blow by blow description to find the modules.
Thanks in anticipation.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you viewed this Charles?

application/pdfcomponent locations
Auto Ride.pdf (146.7 k)

Cheers, Paul.

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
Thank you, I have now located the actual control module. I want to find the power module to make sure there is a connection between the two as I believe there is no power going to the dampers.
Informative schematic, looks like the power module is right under the dash pad.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 - 16:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi. If you have the tool arriving soon I would hold fire and use that first instead of physically searching.

You can also probe the front damper connections in the engine bay - although you will need to run wires into the cabin to check whilst road testing before the rest box arrives.

Patience.

Also if you remove the arc fuse does the warning light illuminate? Does the ride feel different with the fuse out?

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, 31 August, 2017 - 12:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
I removed the ARC 15amp fuse.
Upon starting the car I noticed the Auto Ride warning, light up only momentarily. It was then replaced by two lit up bottom corners of the warning panel.
There was no apparent or discernible difference in ride quality with the fuse removed.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2017 - 17:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Press the cancel button. The warning should toggle back and to hidden with each press.

I suspect the only ride difference would be from around 3 to 10mph driving gentley, horizontally, and in a straight line. :/

Fingers crossed the diagnostics unit will shed some light on what is happening.

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2017 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm afraid no other warnings were in memory.
Without the Auto ride fuse. " AUTO RIDE " warning illuminates momentarily only to give way to the lit indicators. When cancel is pressed Auto ride re illuminates and stays on. Consecutive pressing of "cancel" only reverts back to lit indicators and then again to AUTO RIDE.
With the fuse replaced there are no warnings apparent at all.
Pressing cancel does not produce any either.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: