Trac Fault/Speedo not working Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Trac Fault/Speedo not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all yesterday evening I was driving home In my Turbo R 60128 I had came round a round about and gunned it, as you would the road was a bit damp and there was a bit of wheel spin and the trac light went on and then off I proceeded without drama until I was almost home as I turned into my drive five to ten miles an hour sharp turn left The trac fault warning came on. I took the car out for a small journey today and noticed that the Speedometer was not working as well as this Trac fault sign any suggestions Electrics are Alien to me, Thank you.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

Any deep puddles driven through?

Does the light come on as soon as you start the engine or after you've driven a short distance.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 09:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul more or less when you start the engine then it does a system check then it comes on it wasn't until today that I noticed that the speedo also had stopped.

Richard.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 09:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is the ABS light on?

You could check the fuses behind the boot panel by the right hand side tail light. Maybe check tyre pressures to.

I'll check on the wiring diagram for the other fuse locations.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Didn't notice any ABS will check fuses tomorrow Thanks.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 442
Posted on Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 23:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul checked fuses in the boot everything ok.

Richard.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2016 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, is that the fuses were all ok or the car is OK now?

Hoping the latter , but hardly ever as simple as a fuse :/

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, 21 January, 2016 - 01:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi that means that the fuses are OK unfortunately.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2016 - 08:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I took the Turbo R out for a wee run to the shops when I was coming home I noticed that the speedometer was moving slightly and by the time I got home it was working perfectly Trac fault message still showing (one out of two aint bad)

Richard.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2016 - 10:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard...
Hmmm...from the peanut gallery comes my observation that it is an unfortunate state of affairs to have to pin hopes of a resolution on the chance that the problem simply going away since under such circumstances the "gremlins" could most unpredictably simply reappear whenever they so desire, thereby converting repairs and maintenance to a gambling event. I would hope that eventually a specific reason for the "fault" willl be discovered, thereby returning control of events to you.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2016 - 21:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi my parts came today part no 24203876 expiry date 01 April 2027 One would wonder why the part has an expiry date of eleven Years and the original part is in my car nineteen years in April makes you think about all these electrical parts giving up the struggle.

Richard.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 974
Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2016 - 22:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Damp is the probable progessive failing for a speed sensor after 2027.
The UK climate maybe worst than others.
Did you buy the Delco Remy type

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2016 - 22:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm told that is the sell by date. It's a farce really.

They can sell it on the 31st of march, but not on the 2nd of April.

More ridiculous red tape. Can you imagine how much waste this will cause plus the reluctance to stock any non fast moving parts ?? :-(

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2016 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick I bought them from Flying spares came in a crewe bag just a part number on the sensor. Total including postage and vat £88.15 for two.

Richard.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Tuesday, 26 January, 2016 - 01:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Agreed. The trend toward putting expiration dates on everything is both unnecessary and pernicious. There are plenty of items that have a literally perpetual shelf life.

I've seen things that would survive storage in open air and without any temperature control packaged in such a way that no air could touch it until the second coming and with an expiration date on it. It's beyond farce.

Let's not get into the fact that every manufacturer that marks a sell-by date, including dairies for heaven's sake, note that the sell-by date still gives you enough time to use whatever the thing is "before it would reasonably be expected to spoil." The vast majority of car parts cannot be "reasonably expected to spoil."

Brian

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, 26 January, 2016 - 02:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I think I am past my sell by date I jacked the car up and had a look at where these sensors are with a notion to replace them and decided to leave them until the car is being serviced by a Professional garage in a few weeks time while I was under the car I noticed a leak at the steering rack and a couple of other leaks and the speedometer has ceased to work again, Another day in Paradise.

Richard.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 975
Posted on Tuesday, 26 January, 2016 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"The vast majority of car parts cannot be "reasonably expected to spoil."

Rubbish, I can think of many on a RR if not used in the required time but used years later.
Distributor belt, thermostat, brake hoses, accumulators, hoses, drive belts, caliper seals and boots, trunnion boots they get hard over time and am told split if used!
Even new tyres the rubber gets hard.
Much much more on the cars parts but to many to list.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Tuesday, 26 January, 2016 - 07:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

You're entitled to your opinion. My statement, as stated, stands: The vast majority of car parts cannot be "reasonably expected to spoil."

No one said, "none can reasonably be expected to spoil." Rubber items being a clear exceptions. Wax pellet thermostats can sit for very long periods of time, unused, and still function just fine.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, 26 January, 2016 - 08:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian as you say "The vast majority of car parts cannot be "reasonably expected to spoil." with
"Rubber items being a clear exceptions"

If folk take that view then the danger of long term storage of accumulators bearings shock absorbers rams ETC will have failings written all over them.
Control valves long term storage will be another factor of failings.
To help you, Thermostats do have a shelf life.
Pleased that you agree that some rubber items have storage life!

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2022 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This post has saved me a lot of time and aggravation.
My speedo ceased to indicate and I was able to measure the pulse on the yellow/red wire from the ABS (after dismantling half of the car to gain access).
Replaced the crystal and electrolytic capacitor on the pcb. One working speedo.
Now I have to polish out the scratch I made in the clear plastic front and rebuild the car.
Regards
Darryl

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: