Odd, seat/mirrors fault and other fun... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Odd, seat/mirrors fault and other fun.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 02:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry to be a pest, but my Brooklands 'R' continues to frustrate/annoy/delight me... fortunately the latter the most!
Today, I wanted to adjust my near side mirror and when the wand was moved, nothing happened. So I tried the drivers side and nothing happened... same with drivers seat, no operation on any adjustment and the seat heater was also inoperative. The passengers side seat woked perfectly.
I tried pressing everything in a desperate attempt to 'persuade' the old girl to play nicely but nothing worked.
Ho humm....

So I went and did a bit of shopping and when I returned to the car, just thought I'd press the wand for the mirrors, for fun if nothing else, and it worked.. and so did everything else! Seat moved, mirrors moved, heaters worked.
What is going on?
I am getting used to spurious message on the DIM (alarm occurred, frequent, air bag failure once, gearbox fault once,) but this is a new one!
Any ideas chaps?

I guess this is the joys of pressing a little used car back into daily service. My fuel consumption is horrific! But then I am used to driving a Honda hybrid!

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 04:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Likely an issue with a seat ECU battery or wiring to the ECU. Under each front seat is an ECU that controls the seat and mirror operations. The original NiCad batteries eventually die and often leak onto the circuit board shorting out functions. If the batteries have not been replaced I'd recommend having this done. Remove the seat bottom and check that all the wiring plugs to the ECU are clean and tight first. There are several posts on the seat ECU's on the forum, just do a seach on the topic for more details.

SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

If my memory is reliable, I think Richard Treacy has posted information on these batteries and their replacement.

A quick search produced the following links:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17002/7763.html

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17002/14453.html

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Battery replacement is a MUST.

It is a service item in my opinion. Change the battery and the ECU will last indefinitely. Get it changed BEFORE it starts playing up, or the damage will already be done by then and repairs are much more expensive than prevention.

We write a date on the outside of the ECU where it can be seen by looking under the front of the seat, makes life easier.

This also goes for some of the alarm ECU's.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

just cut out and throw away the ecu battery unless you use the memory function and regulaly switch off the isolator switch.
but do it now ,sounds like you may catch it in time.
If you do want to keep a memmory connect an external battery.
Mike

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2016 - 23:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I didn't take the good advice given and I have now had to have the seat ecu restored. Ho humm.... Now £411 lighter but seats, mirrors and and memory all perfect again. That's both front seat ecus now restored. I did ask about the drivers side being looked at when the passengers side was done, but was told to wait until it failed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: