Carburetor Bolt size Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Carburetor Bolt size « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mujahid Khan
Experienced User
Username: anjumkha

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 21 July, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SSII 1977
Can someone tell me the size of the long carburetor bolt, ( the only bolt that secures the carb to the manifold)

Help much appreciated.
Best regards
M Khan

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 679
Posted on Friday, 21 July, 2006 - 07:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is a 1/2"A/F bolt 6.7" overall length!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2006 - 02:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It could be a 3/8 UNF thread, and Bill has given you the overall length at 6.7" and the head size of 1/2" across flats. Why not simply remove a bolt from another bit of the car which suits the thread by hand, and trot off to your local industrial supplier with it to match the thread and obtain a suitable lengthed bolt ? In the worst case, why not obtain a threaded bar and cut it to length using a domed nut on top ? Why do you need one ? It's a fairly difficult item to misplace.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2006 - 09:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the thread size is 5/16 UNF.

3/8 UNF usually has a 9/16 A/F head.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, 24 July, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK OK I have just checked it is indeed 5/16"UNF thread size. We amateurs tend to use spanner size which usually keeps us out of trouble. I still want to know why the request - did you snap it?

Mujahid Khan
Experienced User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2006 - 03:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill:
I finally found the bolt. I had actually put in in a "safe" place, but I had forgotten.

The safe place was one of the holes in the shock absorber well!
MK

Mujahid Khan
Experienced User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2006 - 03:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes it is 5/16 and 6.7 inch long
MK

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 690
Posted on Thursday, 27 July, 2006 - 08:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well at least you found it. A couple of years ago I had occasion to replace the front flexible joint on the tail shaft of my Spur. Each joint is held on by a serries of special bolts which have hardened serated underfaces on both the bolt head and the nut flange. I lined them up on the floor as they were removed but when replacement came one was missing. Fearing the men in white coats would be around to collect me I purchased anothert bolt ($30!)and said nothing. Months later I found the bolt in the grass in the back yard! A recently arrived Cavalier was in serious consideration for vivisection!

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 28 July, 2006 - 07:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have put things in such safe places that I can find them either.

Miguel A. Garcia
Prolific User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, here you have an exploded view and a list of all carburettor components and spāres available at burlenīs
http://www.burlen.co.uk/partList.aspx?carID=9348

I hope it would be usefull!

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 724
Posted on Thursday, 24 August, 2006 - 07:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got to share this with you lot. A certain PVI has been driving me mad with complaints of petrol fumes. Well having replaced every rubber in the tank and fuel line department the problem persists although there is now no smell in the rear compartment! For display purposes the car is wheeled out for hoards of school children to view then put away again. I have insisted that each time this happens the engine is fully warmed up before switching it off as it tends to foul plugs given half a chance which is a separate problem! With the help and advice of an old hand I established that this model (1970)did not have the thick insulation block between the manifold and the carburetter/air horn assembly - just a little thin paper gasket. The current theory is that when the engine is switched off the hot engine boils the fuel and fires a fair drop of it straight out of the overflow which runs down the back of the engine. So you have hot fuel pooling under the car usually on macadam or concrete - hence the stink! So I ordered the insulating block - some hundred and something dollars. There is a longer bolt to accomodate this so I then priced the bolt - some $327!!!!!!!

Informed self-abuse comes to mind. It is a simple threaded long bolt as described above which I will have made next week and I suspect my fitter man will be too embarrassed to charge me! How and why, do they do it??????

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 26 August, 2006 - 01:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The insulating block could be a straight forward part to make by hand. Tufnol would be an ideal material -- easy to machine and holds shape well.