50000 series ambiant / outside temper... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » 50000 series ambiant / outside temperature display not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Tennison
New User
Username: fixstuff

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, 27 February, 2022 - 22:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The dash mounted outside digital temp display does not work/illuminate the 2 digital Time displays work fine.

Any idea on cause much appreciated.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, 28 February, 2022 - 03:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No such thing as a 50,000 series Shadow. What is your chassis #/VIN or year?

Mark Tennison
New User
Username: fixstuff

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, 28 February, 2022 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1981 Corniche DRH0050XXX = 50000 series

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 762
Posted on Monday, 28 February, 2022 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Much better

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3268
Posted on Monday, 28 February, 2022 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark Tennison wrote: "1981 Corniche DRH0050XXX = 50000 series."

But that's an SZ series car that so happens to still be in "SY series clothes." It should also have a full VIN from which a derived chassis number can be constructed. SZ Chassis Number Derivation from VIN

You need TSD4400, which can be downloaded from https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/technical-library/1980-1998

Brian

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, 28 February, 2022 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark's 50000 DRH chassis number is perfectly legitimate. It is a mineral oil corniche. Just as my JRH camargue is a 50000 mineral oil car.
To get back to the original problem. There is a ribbon in the circuit board that is folded. It is common for these to be fragile. You may find a loose connection on the board. They are fiddly.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 763
Posted on Monday, 28 February, 2022 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When looking for solutions. One should post the year and chassis/VIN/model to avoid confusion like this.
Want answers...give the forum the info

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Tuesday, 01 March, 2022 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And a 1981 mineral oil Corniche is an SZ car. The fact that it retains the "SY shell" doesn't make it an SY car. Ideally, this topic would be moved

Mr. Sprauer is right, and the actual forum conventions request that VIN/Chassis number along with make and model be stated at the outset. We often spend more time trying to wring this information out of people who guard it as though it's some kind of state secret that involves risk in revealing. It isn't, and there isn't any.

I tried looking in the workshop manual, but this is one of those cases where "the Crewe magic words" for the dash item in question are clearly not coming to me. And there are times when knowing what Crewe called something is the key to getting to the correct information about it. I even tried using the later IETIS in hopes that might aid me in finding it, but it didn't.

I have said the following on multiple computer technical forums, but it absolutely applies on automotive forums, too:

Specificity is necessary, not optional, when tech solutions are being sought.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Tuesday, 01 March, 2022 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

The correct chassis designation for the Corniche involved in this thread should be SYZ as it is an amalgamation of both the SY and SZ models in a "coach-built" vehicle and not a conventional "assembly line" SY or SZ model for this reason.

A compromise solution for the pedants amongst us would be to ignore the SY and SZ precursors and simply use the unique numeral chassis number to identify the vehicle.

I personally do not think it is appropriate to attempt to apply the SY or SZ designations to coachbuilt vehicles given their mixed heritage.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3270
Posted on Tuesday, 01 March, 2022 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I would have been happy to have nothing more than the last 5 digits of the VIN.

We received mixed information. If the car is a 1981 model year it is an SZ "mechanically and electrically speaking." The last of the 50K series mineral oil SY cars were produced in 1979.

But my main issue, in general, is that people don't want to give the simple, direct pieces of information that are essential to give accurate advice. Without a chassis number, for those that have them, or full VIN or derived chassis number from full VIN it's well-nigh impossible to be sure you're giving fully accurate information.

There is no reason, none, not to give a chassis number or VIN, which removes all question about what vehicle is involved.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4070
Posted on Tuesday, 01 March, 2022 - 11:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

You and I are "singing from the same song sheet" as a consequence of our decades of experience with R-R/B vehicles however we cannot expect new or recent custodians to have the same understanding.

It is our obligation to pass on our knowledge and experience to new custodians in the same way this occurred in the early periods of our involvement with R-R/B vehicles.

Even though I have not enjoyed the responsibility for a R-R/B vehicle for close to 18 years; I still acknowledge a continued obligation to contributing to the maintenance and furthering of the traditions and responsibilities associated with R-R/B vehicles.

My ongoing contribution to helping maintain this forum as a source of information, advice and, most of all, encouragement for existing and new custodians is but one example of the appreciation and ethos that comes from being a member of and exposure to the R-R/B world-wide community.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: