Oil leak rear of crankshaft Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Oil leak rear of crankshaft « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, 21 January, 2016 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have removed the transmission on my 1979 Shadow 2 and am in the middle of rebuilding it.
I noticed that a small puddle of oil was collecting under the car, right at the back of the engine.
On closer inspection it seems to come from the back of the crankshaft.
My engine still has the oil thrower system. I know there is kit to convert it to the later system with an oil seal. Unfortunatey this is quite expensive and doesn't fit into my budget at the moment.
I read that the oil thrower grooves fill with sludge and that it is the reason oil seeps past it. Is there a way to clean the oil thrower ?

Regards,
Benoit

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The oil thrower scroll only works when the engine is running. If the oil leak wasn't happening when the engine was running then it's working fine.

If the car is not level, that is the front much higher than than the rear of the car and the oil level on max then the oil will leak past the scroll.

The clearance between the scroll and crankcase is quite small. Poking it around is not a good idea. Suggest a bit of white spirit and a blow gun.

The modification is not simple to do. The lip seal won't work on the scroll and I believe a sleeve and drilling and tapping of the crankcase is required.

Scroll type seals are better than lip seals because they never wear out. The reason for lip seals is improved crankcase vacuum for emissions.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bob.
I'll leave it well alone then.

Benoit

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 972
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you still have a leak when useing the car a check of the flame trap first for blockage if ok then run the engine oil level in the sump lower just below the high mark of the dip stick.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 842
Posted on Wednesday, 27 January, 2016 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The max oil level mark is as it says the max. Meaning that it's ok to run at between max and minimum. All wet sump engines are like this. Other wise one would have to top up the oil every 100 miles or so.

This engine is not oil tight. Only fix when the engine drops oil when parked.

I have had many engines with scroll seals such as some Rootes engines and they don't go wrong. Unless as in the Rootes engine the timing cover is incorrectly aligned. The crankshaft pulley was slightly smaller than the timing cover hole and required a special sleeve to align ( or tape around the pulley boss). The cover bolts then nipped up the sleeve removed ( or tape ) and the pulley refitted. These never leaked. The rear seal was a lip seal.

The scroll on the Shadow is not adjustable like the Rootes engine because the design and tolerances naturally align the clearance bang on the money.

The Rootes engine was 4 cylinder in line 1500 or 1750 cc and fitted to the Hillman Hunter. Arrow series of cars. The Hunter was also made in Iran for the Middle East market. Not a bad engine. The go faster version was called the Holbay. Twin side draught Webers and 100 BHP.

HenryFijolek
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 58.173.53.213
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2022 - 18:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Shadow 2 was making an utter mess on the driveway from the rear main oil seal. I bit the bullet and purchased the modified crank case cover and seal, had it fitted and now the oil leak has stopped.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: