Shadow 1 GVM Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Shadow 1 GVM « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Irwin snusher
Yet to post message
Username: irwinsnusher

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know the Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM)for a 1967 Shadow 1?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 692
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 10:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Saloon, coupe, or drophead?

Irwin snusher
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 11:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

4 door saloon

Irwin snusher
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 11:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can find an unofficial site showing GVW of 2622kg.

However I was after some RR official literature to satisfy the DOT licencing people.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 14:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds a little high.

The handbook for my 1974 4 door saloon states:

Weight (car unladen but complete with oil, coolant and a full tank of petrol) 4797 lb (2176 kg)

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 14:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is an online copy of the handbook here:

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/handbooks/1975e.pdf

Check out page 20

This lists the weight as 4636 lb 2103 kg

Although the filename is 1975, page 4 states 1968. The reference to 1975 appears to denote a reprint.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3980
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 15:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further confirmation from Wikipedia:

Kerb Weight RR Silver Shadow: 4648lb [2108kg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Silver_Shadow

Kerb weight [Hemmings USA]: Curb weight -- 4,556lb [2066kg]

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/so-much-luxury-for-so-little-money-1965-1980-rolls-royce-silver-shadow

On the basis of this information, I suggest a GVM [laden] of 2300kg would be the upper limit.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 16:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My shadow had a plate on the drivers (RHS here in Australia) A pillar showing weights.
If 2300kg is the GVM and the kerb (do we know if this is a wet or dry weight?) or tare wight is 2108kg, that is a payload (including passengers and everything else you may want to carry with you) only allows 192kg.

Considering someone may want to carry 5 people at 80-90kg, this just doesn’t sound right.
The first figure of 2622kg sounds more plausible as this then allows 514kg payload.

A common Falcon or Commodore here in Australia allowed roughly 500kg payload.

I will see if I can dig out the pics.

Irwin snusher
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all for your responses. Patrick a picture of that plate would be much appreciated as I don't have one on mine any more.

Given the base weight is 2180kg with say 4 people at 75kg each and a tank of fuel 70kg and say 70kg of luggage, approx 500kg total, it gets up around the 2622kg quite quickly. Just can't find the official RR document to satisfy the DOT.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, 06 August, 2021 - 23:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Surely your DOT has gone through RR SS1 specs before for others - you cannot be the 1st.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, 07 August, 2021 - 12:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is what weigh bridge are for

David Gore

Post Number: 3981
Posted on Saturday, 07 August, 2021 - 15:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My estimate of 2,300 kg is based on a car ready to drive with no passengers or luggage, a full fuel tank and all other fluids.

I certainly don't think a Shadow carrying 4 Sumo wrestlers or 5 midget Weight Watchers are reasonable circumstances to determine vehicle mass.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Sunday, 08 August, 2021 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

GVM or GVW is a weight set by the manufacturer that should not be exceeded based on the engineering design of a vehicle.

Engine power & torque, transmission ratios, diff ratios and most importantly brakes, are designed with this weight in mind.
All of this also has to keep in mind;
Startability or Launchabilty:
The ability to start or launch on any uphill grade
Gradeability:
The ability to drive up a gradient without bogging down.

GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass] minus tare (the bare weight of an unloaded vehicle (maybe with or without all fluids, but will usually include spare wheel and tools) = maximum payload.
This maximum payload is anything else put into the vehicle, fuel, people, luggage (or a roof rack & its payload as one of our members has) etc.

To be honest, I have never seen a car fined for overloading in weight, but have seen them fined for overloading regarding number of passengers.

Also, a car is physically limited by its size, there are only so many big people a car can carry, and only so much a boot or trunk can hold. Trucks are not.

Let’s not talk about GCM or Gross Combined Mass yet.
This weight is the GVM + a fully trailer is the maximum weight the vehicle is designed to carry and tow.

In modern speak, this would usually be described at towing capacity.

I remember reading the GVM plate on a Daihatsu I was checking out for a friend. The payload ended up being in total 80kg.
He weighed 85kg.

In trucks this is extremely strict.
In cars I’m not so sure as I have never seen inspection crews weighing cars on the motorway here, but we certainly see them weighing trucks.

Here is a pic of a similar plate on my XJ12 Saloon.

The weights here seem to be a little odd.
The top weight I would say is it’s GVM
The next weight down I would say is it’s GCM
So this would indicate a towing capacity of 1500kg.
The weights marked 1 & 2 would usually indicate maximum axle weights.
1 = front axle shouldn’t exceed 1170kg
2 = rear axle shouldn’t exceed 1200kg
This is where weight distribution also comes into play,
Axle one probably doesn’t get effected to much, but front passenger weight will surely contribute to a fluctuation in this weight.
However axle 2 will be greatly effected by, fuel level, boot or truck payload plus rear passengers.

However axle 1 which is 1170kg max + axle 2 which is 1200 max, should equal 2350kg, but it equals 2370kg which is a 20kg difference.
I do seem to remember that cars have an allowable tolerance in these weights, which is where the 20kg may be.

David Gore

Post Number: 3982
Posted on Sunday, 08 August, 2021 - 15:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick,

You of all people would know the basis for nominating vehicle mass .

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Sunday, 08 August, 2021 - 18:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mate,
I have literally done thousands of weight distribution drawings for trucks.
If anyone is interested.
I can post similar ones I’ve found on the net.

All this aside.
Strange that some cars have a GVM or GVW rating, and dome do not.

I thought I was the only weird one looking at this on cars

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: