IGNITION CONVERSION KIT OR IGNITION M... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » IGNITION CONVERSION KIT OR IGNITION MODULE FOR 75 SS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Michael Leedy
New User
Username: dleedy

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2021 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello:
It's been a very long time since I posted regarding my 1975 Shadow SRD22135. Reason being is my previous mechanic/friend passed away and the mechanic I'm using has had my car for a ridiculously long time. I brought him the car running well with a brake leak but was running fine. The plan was for this car being fixed up enough to be my daily driver and the mechanic has several RR's and he said he can fulfill my goal. The car no longer starts and Now the deal is I have to find a Ignition conversion kit or module.

I searched everywhere on line and found several kits that were for 75 Siver Shadows but the mechanic insists that he needs to get a direct fit for my exact car based on my VIN. I have little to no mechanical skills and not sure what to do. I included pictures he sent me? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

David Michael Leedy
New User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2021 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have messaged David asking him to resize this image so it can be downloaded and viewed in fine detail to allow appropriate responses.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 683
Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2021 - 10:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How did, or what did he test to come to the conclusion the Opus module no longer functions?
He should know there is a kit from PerTronix for the RR SSII and it has nothing to to with a specific VIN number.
My bet is he will screw it up and will blame another component, costing you cash and aggravation.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2021 - 11:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why would he start working on the ignition to repair a brake leak ?
Time to cut your losses maybe ?

I don't put up with crap like that anymore though, time for small claims court !

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2021 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Get your car and take it to somebody who knows what their doing,...

Graham.

David Michael Leedy
New User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2021 - 01:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3936
Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2021 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David,

Hopefully one of our Shadow owners will be able to advise further regarding the Pertronix conversion.

I don't have any experience with fitting electronic ignition to a Shadow and cannot advise further with installation of this product.

However, I would be seriously considering changing mechanics based on your comments - it is apparent to me he has little or no experience with converting conventional breaker ignition to electronic ignition. I would be contacting the US distributor for your preferred electronic system and requesting details of local to you installers of their system.

It is never good practice to let inexperienced repairers near a RR Shadow let alone pay them to learn on your car IMHO.

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2021 - 19:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David.
It might be worthwhile reading an old post of mine with lots of input from others in the forum. It is called "Fitting a Petronix Ignitor to a 1978 Corniche", and appears in this Silver Shadow Series section with the last posting of 30 August 2020.

Thanks John - I didn't have the opportunity to search the forum when I initially responded.

David

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2021 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I fitted pertronics to a 1981 Spirit. Very straightforward, came complete with base plate, so just swapped over the complete base plate assemblies. Used pertronix coil and only complication was picking up 12 volt supply pre ballast resister, as this became redundant. Unfortunately I do not have photos or the car now. Recheck timing after fitting and that the vacuum advance retard works.
Mark

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2021 - 21:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Call Tim at this company. They sell and install Pertronix in RR. Your guy has no clue.
Denison-Jayne Motors in West Chester, PA (610-436-8668)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3937
Posted on Friday, 21 May, 2021 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is the link to the thread mentioned by John Rowney above:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/38869.html?1597319176

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: