No problems - so here's a solution. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » No problems - so here's a solution. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Dibley
Experienced User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2019 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recently there have been few "normal" posts about problems with cars (which are not self-inflicted, in a way) so here is a solution instead.

The T (SBH10630) was firing on six(???) cylinders. The traditional way to find the dodgy plugs is to detach the plug leads from each plug in turn till it makes no difference to the lumpiness - that's a bad one. This method makes more trouble - the energy built in the coil has to go somewhere, so it tracks across the distributor cap or rotor arm or the inside or outside of the coil. This may/does lead to later problems when a bit of dampness plus a burnt carbon track makes a permanent short somewhere.

I use a thin piece of steel wire pushed down the sleeve of a plug lead where it fits in the distributor cap so that it touches the metal ferrule with the other end sticking up in free air. The other bit of the tool is an insulated wire with a croc-clip on one end and a bare centimetre/half-inch the other end.

Method: Clip the croc-clip to a good earth - be sure it will not easily be dislodged. Start the engine and touch the bare end to the steel wire. If nothing happens you have something to investigate, if not, not, so stop the engine and move on. If light level is low enough you may see a wire-to-wire spark on a good plug.

This method avoids groping about under the hydraulic reservoir and/or burning your hands on hot engine bits and/or struggling to put back plug leads and/or cross-threading plugs which are in perfectly good condition.

Enjoy. End of lecture. It's my birthday tomorrow, I'll be OBET.

Alan D.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3362
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2019 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is tomorrow here so I wish you a Happy Birthday and that you will enjoy whatever the day brings.

I am now on a single digit countdown to gaining OBE privileges.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2019 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Happy Birthday Alan Dibley OBE. don't forget to turn up next Friday (CIDER DAY)

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2019 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Happy Birthday Alan. Thanks for the plug testing tip.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: