Rear Shock Bushing Replacement Coat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rear Shock Bushing Replacement Coat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Prolific User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not having a lift, I may have to get a shop to replace my rear upper shock bushings on my 79 Shadow. Would anyone have an idea as to the labor cost? I know the job is intensive.

Thanks!

Richard

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,if everything good/not seized 3-4hrs including bleeding rams/messing about. However if ram piston seized onto road spring top mount or if damper top nuts seized? British Tool Supplies? make a spanner to fit serrations on ram piston with long arm to assist undoing if tight, normally "C" spanner needed. How have you arrived at the diagnosis that the damper mounts are u/s as you cannot see them with the levelling rams in place?

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent question. I'm really not certain. My mechanic suggested they were bad. I will tell him to recheck everything carefully. I hear a knocking noise in the rear when I go over a bump. Otherwise, very quiet and smooth! Any suggestions what to check? I've thought about the exhaust.THANKS!!!!

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It could also be the differential carrier mounts. There are alot of bushings associated with the rear suspension. Do not rule out exhaust hangers since they weaken and move the geometry. The torsion plate bolted to the side of the diff has a double bushing that attaches to the pan and it is subject to alot of movement.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 01:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

*Ahem*
British Tool Works.
ram wrench
Kelly@BritishToolWorks.com
BTW

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 07:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,the cheapest and easiest way to check top damper bush is to get car on ramp, undo 4 off bolts that hold LOWER damper bush carrier onto trailing arm, extend damper under it's own pressure then carefully try to "rattle" the damper in it's top mount to feel any looseness/free play that would cause the noise. Use this time to try and feel if fault is in damper itself by feeling if any slackness between damper rod and body, it should just extend. As Robert says there are SO many things it could be.

Richard Greene
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 07:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent suggestions!

Ironically, I just got back from my guy and said he wanted to unbolt the lower damper and check for certain if the upper damper was loose/rattle while pushing up. I hope to know for sure this week! I will definitely update when I know more!

PS He is also going to install a universal cruise control and use the GM/RR original stalk. I will let you know more in a separate thread when it's installed/tested!

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 08:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The car has original cruise control. Why add another? The bellows usually go and certain Jaguar (XJS) may work.
Remove 4 bolts for the spring cup, undo the stem hardware and see what happens. The shock stem may be hitting the hole in the cup. Rear noises can be elusive and have to be tackled/explored one by one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: