New center console Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » New center console « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Prolific User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 13:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH17903 starting to come together.
Oil pressure, Ambient temp and Amp gauges in thier new home location.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, 03 April, 2019 - 23:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work Glen.

Not sure why this message never came through originally to my email......so what are you doing with the vacant holes left in the upper facia where the gauges were?

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, 04 April, 2019 - 21:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

got wateer temp and fuel

Trevor Pickering
Prolific User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, 05 April, 2019 - 01:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great work Glen

Did you manage to fit the mirrors Ok?

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, 05 April, 2019 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Trevor

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/35050.html?1553153859

Mike Thompson
New User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2019 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How do the side pieces of the console come off? I want to convert mine to black as well.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2019 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i dont know the correct terminology - but the 2 triangle knee pads on the side of the foot wells pull off, the black pads around the centre console come off via 2 screws on each side going through the visible holes. The veneer isnt fixed.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2019 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Glen,

They are called 'knee bolsters' (UK term) if referring to the horizontal ones just below the main wood facia/dash. Intended to protect knee caps in case of accident.

Depending on what year/model or what radio/tape is fitted in the wood centre console facia then the veneer IS fixed at the top using the radio or tape volume knobs fixings. At the lower base of the veneer is just a tab on the wood that rests in a groove to hold it.

When my 8 track packed up I had to get a second hand wood and made up some inserts so I could attach wood facia from rear as no knobs on the replacement unit. Frankly some Velcro would have worked too but I was having the wood re-veneered so it was not too much trouble.

You have to remove the two flat side triangular pieces in the footwell forward of the console facia wood veneer about where your leg shin would rest which again just clip out using same sort of clips as the door casings. Tease off gently as these are thin aluminium and easily distort. The right side comes away but the left side has all the electrical wiring for speakers etc attached so just let hang down.

When these are removed IIRC you will also have to remove radio & bracketry if fitted to then get easier access to the back of the sloping padded trim parts either side of the veneer.

You may also have to unscrew the air con switch panel just to make maximum access.

Ensure battery is disconnected as access to the rear is difficult and getting into the rear with metal tools might inadvertently catch a live supply down to earth.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2019 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ahhh - mine never had the cassette, it had been removed by a previous owner. Therefor no fixing. Thanks Steve

Mike Thompson
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2019 - 14:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was thinking about putting in a retractable cd/dvd/usb/fm player, but not sure what would happen as the DVD screen came out and hit the Air Con vent. And I'm not sure a Double Din would fit in the 8 track area.

DVD

Mike Thompson
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2019 - 14:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen Poolen

I forgot to say thanks for your help.

And Steve Emmott as well.

Mike Thompson
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2019 - 14:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I got to looking at Glen's it is no like mine. These pieces are only stained no Polyurethane on there yet. The little piece was below the ash tray and had a FM cassette player there. I'm putting a FM USB player there. No knobs just a single din, so had to be cut.

pieces

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2019 - 15:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The retractable screen hits the air vents - it cant go there. But i wanted one - ive got a reverse cam installed and i wanted a good maps option. Heres mine - the screen stop is adjustable so you can have it at a 45deg angle.

The biggest problem i can foresee - spilling drinks!

Mike Thompson
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2019 - 16:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen Poolen
Oh wow that's so cool, I never thought of putting it there. Thanks (I love the black, mine is that cream color. Eeuuw) I'm thinking of putting a proper door on the 8 track box like all modern cars have in the console.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2019 - 21:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do like the huge open feel of the console area - but i think modern practicality has taken over. my lid for that spot is pending.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 17:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steve Emmott

Do you know what they used on your wood to get such a glassy finish. Mine is coming out not as desired. Bubbles and uneven surface.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 17:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had my wood done by a pro - John Nicholls in a Melbourne suburb. Highly recommended.
https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/directory/listing.php?id=1180

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 21:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pyle audio products are garbage BTW.

Polyurethane will never match a rubbed finish like that of lacquer. It will be shiny but not flat like a piano finish.Rattle can lacquer can produce great results. Any top coat must be over a sealed surface so a sealer is needed. You could also dilute the topcoat to use as a sealer.

A professional finish is generally buffed on a wheel.

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Door caps You will rarely get a finish like lacquer and rubbed between layers and buffed on a wheel. You must use a sealer or diluted topcoat as a base. It's all about multiple coats, application (never a brush/poly) and final buff. You can get gloss but it's the flat finish like a piano that reflects the most light and looks factory.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 22:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike I have no idea what the restorers used for the lacquer but they look good.

If you are getting bubbles you may have a reaction with the stain material and top coat lacquer so a weak mix sealer as Robert says required first.

I would only give mine 9 out 10 though against that picture above that Robert put up. That finish is even better depth than what I saw coming out of the Jaguar wood mill using latest techniques.

I do believe though Jaguar moved to water based products for wood lacquer and body paint around the time I retired.

For sure the quality finish is created by several coats with fine rubbing down and polishing in between.

I did my current set on the car with standard yacht varnish as the lacquer on the top surface just cracked up on my original ones in the French hot sunlight....taken me 15 years to finally get the original ones redone and yet to fit them.

These are the ones I yacht varnished years ago myself. I will be selling these on 'as is' when my originals are re-fitted. Veneer is perfect they just need another top coat done.

These are the originals now waiting to be put back on the car

BTW I love to look at the burr walnut and find pictures within the burr. My door cappings have what appear to be swans but the picture is upside down and not showing main burr surface.

On Roberts look on the right hand side it looks like a Mexican's face with hat glasses and a moustache. Time now to look at the clouds

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 23:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The door cap set

Steve Emmott
Prolific User

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 23:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert they are a really good finish..... the centre joint/mirror is a nice feature......looks like a pumpkin on bonfire night

I'm just jealous.....

Now back to cloud spotting for me....roll on wine time

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 00:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Burls on wood are fascinating and no two are alike. Note: 2 of the door caps were "previously re-finished" in the past and the veneer was sanded thru to the mahogany base. The burl was expertly redrawn, colored and shaded to match the other bookmatched section on the same cap.
You cannot tell where the repair was made.
One day I will buy a RR and do a custom interior with exotic veneers.

Our cars can't hold a candle to the early Jaguar saloons. My Mercedes 600 Grand had acres of amazing wood.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 00:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steve Emmott you know if you take a little hit of LSD you'll get spectacular results on that cloud spotting. Or in a pinch and more legal take 6 tablets of dramamine. It is part of Pattern Recognition called matrixing or pareidolia. But I see a pig like guy in a large hat, guess a mexican pig. But a beautiful finish. What is that rubbing, and do I have to go to Thailand to get it right? :-)

Steve Emmott
Prolific User

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 01:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike I will have to try all that out one day, at the moment I can see a huge whale being chased by a tortoise in the sky.

Robert when I was in Detroit and working for Jaguar/AM under Ford ownership I met a guy who had a Jaguar XJ6 and so did his neighbour.

They swore that we were using photo coated plastic injection molding like Ford did on the wood 'effect' door trims where every one was exactly the same.

Both their door cappings and facia/dash looked the same. They were pretty pi55ed off thinking the woodwork was unique.

Indeed to the human eye they both actually did look the same. It was quite incredible and I too was amazed when I saw the two cars side by side.

Their cars were not even produced in the same month or the same colour or interior leather, but the veneer layers used for each car woods had obviously been done in the wood mill from sequential veneer layers.

Odds are no doubt quite high for it to happen to neighbours but for sure it was a hard sell to convince them they were genuine wood.

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steve pre-XJ as in 3.8's MK 9's beautiful interiors.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: