Electrical Specification Changes Booklet Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Electrical Specification Changes Booklet « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 564
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 08:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a booklet I bought on eBay. It is the course notes for a workshop run by Crewe on changes to various electrical systems midway through the production of the Shadow series 1.

Glenn has converted it to PDF however it is still 5.8 megabytes so I can't upload it to the site.

Is anyone able to give advice on how to proceed on making this publicly available?

Jean-christophe Jost
Frequent User
Username: jc_jost

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 08:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff, thank you.

This website allows files up to 4go. I tried it once for my job it worked fine. File will remain publicly available for 14 days only.

https://www.grosfichiers.com/en/

Other solution : google docs (Brian uses it)

Other solution : send it to me I'll upload it to my website and publish a link.

Cheers,

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 565
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have managed to compress the file. The quality isn't great but I'll keep trying. Hopefully between us we can get a readable version up and going.

application/pdf
Specification Improvements and Electrical Diagnosis 1972 (2).pdf (1429.8 k)

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff

Many thanks for making this available. I really appreciate it.

Geoff

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 961
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 01:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes. Thanks for posting. Really clear diagrams. Would have been nice to be a fly on the wall at that seminar, or better yet, an audio of it!

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 02:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And thanks to Glenn too, who helped me with the mysteries of PDF :-)

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 07:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was there! Can’t remember much of actual course held at Hythe Rd, but ‘72 package start at chassis 13754. Easiest way is to kook at warning lights on facia, change from domed circular to rectangular black faced until illuminated. Lost copy of course notes unfortunately.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 568
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 08:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe they resurfaced on eBay Gordon? You could have made fifty quid if you'd kept them ;-)

Any interesing stories?

Alan Scard
Experienced User
Username: alanscard

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 02 November, 2018 - 02:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To all,
As my 1972 shadow is SRH 13952 this information is ideal for me. Many thanks for making it available.
Regards Alan

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, 03 November, 2018 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was curious about the page in the booklet about "Dual Intensity Lights" so perused the various electrical diagrams to try and figure out how they did this, especially for the indicator lamps.

I found the following: a relay included from 1972 and included in the "All cars built to 1973 Specifications.

But deleted by "All cars built to 1975 Specifications"

Perhaps they found that the idea didn't really work in practice?

It would be impossible to work out at this late stage the car numbers and markets to which, and when, these changes were applied but I am curious to find out where this mysterious relay was located as part of a project to "map" all the relay positions.

The relay appears in none of the Manual pages that I can see - unless it's hidden in a "Practical Wiring Diagram" somewhere. This seems unlikely as there are no "late" practical diagrams.

I'd also like to know if the "Stop Lamp Relay" has a dimming function - or for that matter what its purpose is at all (also where does it live?): presumably the "dimming" function on the indicators/stoplamps operated when normal headlamps were on and then ceased to function when "Fogs" were chosen?

This would have complicated things enormously in various markets. In Australia headlights are OFF when Fogs are ON. In the UK headlights must be ON when Fogs are ON (which is rather stupid if you've ever tried to drive in a real fog with your own headlight glare blinding you).

Anyone have any idea?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Monday, 05 November, 2018 - 09:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the boot. Left hand side up near the ram.

A Yellow(?) funny shaped relay box. Annoying as an annoying thing if somebody messes around with it or it starts to fail.

Imagine getting a car in where the lights only work when the headlights are on . . . imagine what the unknowledgeable would do! I've even seen feeds run all over the place from the instrument lights (so no lights when they're off or ignition off).

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, 05 November, 2018 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aha! So that's what that thing is. I'd always assumed it was for the "Stop Lamp Failure" warning light.

It also explains why my indicator lamps were brighter when I was testing the rear fog lamp I'd installed (a discreet LED bar beneath the rear bumper)

This raises 2 further questions:

1 - How does the Failure lamp circuit work? &
2 - Does the Stop Lamp Relay have a role in making it work?

Also where did Crewe hide this Stop Lamp Relay?

I've never played with it Paul but after 10 years of bending my mind (and back!) around the electrics on these cars I can imagine some nightmare scenarios - I've made a few idiotic mistakes I've needed to go back and fix in my time. I've also found a few previous owner dodges to make the headlights work instead of fixing the safety cutout circuit!

I think someone at some point didn't realise what the red button on the cutout box on the fuseboard was for and re-wired the engine bay to circumvent it. It took me over a year to put it all back the way it should be and get it to work.

It of course didn't help that I discoverd all this at the same time I was trying to install the latching relay modification to make the flasher switch on the indicator lever function as a High/Low beam switch to replace the quaint thing on the floor!

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, 05 November, 2018 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking at the diagram the Stop Lamp Warning Light does seem to depend on the Stop Lamp Relay.

And those White/Purple and Purple/White plastic wires snake over to the Dimming Relay to do something mysterious as well.

Oh God I hope nothing ever goes wrong with the thing!

Steve Emmott
Experienced User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, 08 December, 2018 - 04:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeff, this is one of the best informative booklets I have seen for a long time. It explains now why my handbook shows a door central locking cut out switch where I see others have said the position is a window lift cut out switch, as I looked and could not find the red buttoned otter switch on my car with the multiple window wiring going to it.

My chassis is SRH 13315 so just supercedes these modifications but it does help when trying to assist anyone else with electrical issues.

You deserve a contribution towards your costs....I will open one of my best French wines and say 'cheers' for sharing this valuable info.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, 10 December, 2018 - 08:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is true that as time went on, the factory realised that things needed to be made clearer to the network/general public. As time went on and the product was getting more complicated, I guess the technical authors could not keep up (just look at all mods on Shadow). It was/is really frustrating for the Tec./owner trying to find info out, made more difficult by the passing of 50+ years. Corniche is renowned for this. That is why the Forum is SO important for the future.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, 10 December, 2018 - 09:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is true Gordon. I'm fairly OCD with ebay searches for these sort of documents (which are nearly priceless for the owner/repairer)

I've seen others from similar RR courses but the new postage and tax increases in Oz are making it prohibitive to bid on them. We're looking at AU$30-40 before we even start!

Most turn up on the UK Ebay site so I'd encourage our UK members to keep an eye out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: