Rear Suspension PART? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rear Suspension PART? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 02:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My mechanic has said this rear suspension part on my 78 Shadow needs replacing because the small end has broken. I guess I will try to find a used one,but not sure what to ask for. Any help appreciated! He said he could weld it but prefers not to.

Thanks!

Richard

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 05:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a kit or something to improve the strength of thi part. On early cars the small end habitually broke and caused major problems, so it was strengthened. Look in the catalogues(???). It might be MUCH cheaper than a new item.

It's called a Torque Arm and it is listed in the body parts section of the catalogue.
Alan D.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, 18 May, 2018 - 05:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On second thoughts it might be the body section below the rear seat - which is where the torque arm is attached - which was strengthened???

Someone who knows what they are talking about, please reply.

Alan D.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 292
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2018 - 06:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Alan,

I think what you are referring to is the differential carrier which is fastened to the boot floor through some rubber bushes. The bolts which go through the boot floor can wear away their fixing holes over time and, worse case, the diff carrier and diff can become detached with catastrophic consequences. The modification you refer to is to weld strengthening plates to the boot floor to prevent the issue. This has been covered extensively in these forums in the past. For information, I think the torque arm is alloy so can’t be welded.

Kind regards,

Chris

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2018 - 09:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The rear body mounting problem and modification is covered in the following thread:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17004/2407.html?1113311725

Also the following:

http://rrtechnical.info/finaldrive/FinalDriveCrossmember.html

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2018 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, Flying Spares carries new ($640USD) and used ($161) Torque Arms. The part number is RH2510.

http://www.BritishToolWorks.com

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 05:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From memory the front torque arm fixing to the body mounting did not require a mod.
The mod was to the torque arm itself with the aid of two spacers and plate that stiffened the arm.

The fist pix below is of the early type of arm.

This is the later modified type that can be carried out.
will take some pix of the one I carried out on the SS1.

The rear cross member mountings and body fixings are the other mods referred to in the link that David supplied.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the above picture also note the metal plates under the nuts and bolts fixing the torque arm mounts.

They must be fitted on the car side of the fixings to protect the torque arm and the mounting brackets on the car.

Cheers, Paul.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 05:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a relief - I KNEW there is a mod to the arm itself. When one joins the OBEs, sometimes the mind falters.

Alan D.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 06:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Holy cow!!....talk about a piece of village engineering

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 08:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have found a used arm from a 1967 Shadow that has been "rebraced". Would that work on my 78 Shadow?

Richard

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 09:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you go to the Bentley Heritage site and look up your car chassis number and the part, check it against what you may buy (again year for the part), if the part numbers are the same it can be interchanged.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: