Lacquer-Stik, the Crankshaft Damper, ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Lacquer-Stik, the Crankshaft Damper, & a big thanks to Jim Walters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Sunday, 06 May, 2018 - 06:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few months back I had asked about how to get the markings on the crankshaft damper readable again for the purposes of timing. Jim Walters recommended using Lacquer-Stik for this purpose and I must say the result is great.

Here are "after" photos, from topside (where it matters most) and underside after the application of the Lacquer-Stik and promptly wiping off the excess:

From Topside

From Underside

One could use this for many other purposes, and it comes in multiple colors as well:

Easy Read on Lucas Relay

I can imagine filling in lettering on any number of things where the original color has worn away.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Monday, 07 May, 2018 - 05:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

just bought a stick.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 03:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you are filling lettering like on the ignition switchbox give it a very light wipe after applying then let it dry a day or two before polishing the background to remove the residue.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 04:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jim,

Thanks for that tip, too. When looking at reviews someone mentioned that it takes a couple of days to dry completely.

After my little experiment with that Lucas relay (which I know never had anything as far as fill-in on the lettering) it hit me that there was something else this would be great for:

Marking Sockets

The older I get the more frustrated I become when trying to read the markings on socket sets and, even worse, drill bits. Although yellow or red might be slightly better on chrome, white works quite well and is even more visible than the photo presents. For years I've been marking my metric versus SAE sockets with nail enamel so that I don't grab one when I mean to grab the other, and the filled in size designations are an important added bonus.

Brian

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 05:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great idea Brian! When I was a young lad working at a rental center in MD we had a small engine mechanic that had all of his tools (wrenches and sockets) painted different colors. I asked him what was up with that and he replied, "I can find any size wrench I need from across the room. If I need a 1/2 inch wrench I can tell you to get me the red wrench, or if I need a 9/16 socket you can bring me the blue one". This saved Harry a lot of time checking sizes. Thus allowing more time for Harry to drink Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and tomato juice.
The things we remember....

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 06:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian throw those sockets out and get the six sided type unless you like rounding nuts and bolt heads.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The use of a hair dryer or heat gun with continuous passing strokes will dry it out much quicker

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2563
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

You can still buy sockets in anodized colors at Harbor Freight, e.g, these deep sockets in metric sizes and SAE sizes (and they have regular ones, too). I actually have the deep sockets in both.

My problem is that there is overlap in the colors used and, since I'm not using these things on a daily basis, I don't ever remember what color goes with what size.

Perhaps beer and tomato juice would help me with remembering. Then again, perhaps not. [And there were plenty of drinkers of this mix in my hometown of Johnstown, PA, and the surrounding area. That and boilermakers.]

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: