Mystery Wires and connectionsin the E... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Mystery Wires and connectionsin the Engine Bay - Silver Shadow SRH24545 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martyn Grattage
New User
Username: martyngrattage

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 07 November, 2017 - 09:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi i recently bought my car

Clearly visible was two wires and poor spade joins and taping

Is it a sensor of some kind right in the middle..??? The wires and connections appear to be ok.

More importantly There is two wires right next to this sensor missing connections

One is an old and large purposeful looking wire.
The other wire appears to go into the loom by the other sensor lead

So any advice on where or how it should be.

Also any advice on what symptoms this would create not connected.?

I will take a picture later today.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, 07 November, 2017 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Martyn, don't forget to post a picture to the thread showing our cars.

I think the picture of the wires will get you the answer.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Wednesday, 08 November, 2017 - 08:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martyn,

Also chassis number and year.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Wednesday, 08 November, 2017 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob the Chassis VIN number is SRH24545
Year 1976 don't know the month.

Pix would be helpful.

leonard stampton
Yet to post message
Username: 1000leonard

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 08:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mystery wire, I have one! I am a new user of this forum and realise that fitting a new starer motor has been covered extensively.
I recently fitted a Powerlite starter in place of the original Lucas to a 1977 SS Series 2. The motor is a 7.3:1 an Australian delivery.It works fine and cranks easily.
There was a thin brown and blue trace wire connected to the M terminal on the Lucas starter which goes off in the direction of the fan speed module. Unsure where to connect this wire I left it unconnected!
On the cars test run today I travelled without fan or air conditioner compressor. It was an important mystery wire after all.
Any help to where it should be connected would be great.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 08:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It goes on the big terminal that goes to the motor itself. So the output side of the solenoid on the starter.

Very important, yes, and good on you for asking and not just messing around and connecting the aircon up in a strange way to make it work. So bloody annoying when cars come in like that!!!

(If you're interested, when the wire is earthed (through the motor in this case) the air con can run. When the wire has power going to it the air con will not run (when the motor has a feed and cranking) and so gives the starter and car the best chance of starting and settling down before the extra drain of the air con compressor and blower motors kick in.)

Very important on the old power hungry Lucas starters, not so with the new type.

Have fun with her :-)

leonard stampton
New User
Username: 1000leonard

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 08:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks Paul for your v swift reply. I will connect the wire ASAP tomorrow morning and have a ready made excuse for another test drive!
I was more than interested to learn that the earth return is actually made through the starter motor windings.
I should have mentioned in my original post the car is SRH 31710. Regards

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 09:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Leonard,

yes a very unusual way to do something and very counter intuitive - almost as inventive as the workarounds I've had to sort out over the years!!

Any excuse is a good excuse to drive her!! :D

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: