Fan clutches. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Fan clutches. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim Millard
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.185.94.181
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 02:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

According to receipts, the fan clutch on my car was replaced in 2015 with a genuine part costing $1100. It is now seized solid. Based on comments here, I have ordered this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fan-Clutch-LAND-RANGE-ROVER-1972-1991-P-N-2803-/302120042394?hash=item4657c1ff9a:g:So4AAOSwx2dYEY7W

We shall see.

Some years ago I replaced an 84 SZ fan clutch with a $70 unit from, I believe, an EB Falcon - worked perfectly.

If only there were a solution for early Shadows. I have memories of 420Gs having a very similar, if not identical fan clutch, which, by nature of the fan design, can easily be replaced by the larger type which I presume superseded the original. What about Hayden 2665, though? Refer -

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/haydenauto/documents/cat_hayden/2007-hayden-fan-clutch.pdf

I don't have one off the car to measure accurately but it seems close.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2690
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 03:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tim,

I recall helping to fit the Falcon fan clutch to a Shadow II at one of our Self-Help Days a decade or so ago and it was a perfect fit. I do not know if the same unit would fit a Shadow I as I never had the need to do a transplant on DRH14434.

I also recall there was a Jaguar fan clutch that reportedly fitted a Shadow I and/or II but I cannot remember the details; the 2nd hand Falcon unit was much cheaper due to its availability. This may be the Jaguar item you are referring to and may be an avenue worth investigating further.

Tim Millard
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.185.94.181
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 06:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Interesting. I believe that a S1&3 XJ6 coupling will fit a later Shadow 1, and that in turn this crosses over to a more generic part (much discussed on here).

Do all SSIIs have the big center hole as per the Landie coupling? I think a certain range of XJ6 S2 used this too.

The 84 Turbo which received the ($70 new) Falcon coupling had the big nut arrangement, quite separate to the SS1/SS2 arrangement.

All very interesting. Some couplings on other cars have the provision to add a little fluid (silicon?) to bring them back to life. In the absence of a suitable replacement (and if the XJS unit I mentioned in my previous post is unsuited) for early couplings, could this be an option?

My memory of the 420G item is that it was no more than 6", and quite short, but because the fan blades were quite flat, a later coupling could easily be fitted. A red herring perhaps.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 03:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I installed a replacement bought from Flying spares for about £350 I think. I have tested it on a recent rally in Morocco, and it seems to work well. I am not sure if they are meant to engage gradually or just on and off, but I can definitely hear when it is engaged, and find that in hot weather with the aircon on, it is engaged most of the time, only switching off after a good run on the motorway.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 05:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The item mentioned by Tim Millard is the exact viscous fan clutch identified by Christopher Williams earlier this year here:

http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/show.pl?tpc=17001&post=47148#POST47148

The photo in the listing Tim references even shows the ERC2849 embossed on it.

Since there is but one Crewe Original part number for the viscous fan clutch for this era you should be good to go.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: