Right Front Brake Hose Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Right Front Brake Hose « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 04:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have re[laced my right front brake hoses but made a major mistake in not taking pictures of the original set up.

When I first fitted them in their "natural" position I found they rubbed against the top of the stub axle and the suspension damper. See pics 1 and 2.

So, I loosened the inner ends of the hoses and reclamped them with the hoses twisted away from the stub axle/damper. Pic 3.

It looks ok to me, but I wanted to check with you all to verify this and make sure I have not made any mistakes here.

h1

h2

The following pic show the current setup:

h3

I guess what I'm asking is, is it ok to "bend" the hoses like this?

Geoff

Rod Hebblewhite
New User
Username: velvet_green

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 05:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bottom pic looks right to me Geoff. As long as they are not fouling anything when on either lock they will be okay.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 618
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 02:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff...
As an alternate query...is it possible that if they were just a bit shorter (1 or 2 inches) that they would not need to be twisted (not that being twisted is necessarily a problem) and still long enough to not be stressed (pulled) at either full position and yet short enough to not foul the stub axle?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 06:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the hoses are the correct ones then to shorten them would not allow for the movement of the suspension on bump and rebound [DANGER] even if the hoses seem to be ok on steering lock to lock.
Can take some pix of the ones on the SS1 if that helps.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 08:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The white line is a visual indication that the hose is not twisted

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 08:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One is one isn't !

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Monday, 02 October, 2017 - 02:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for all your replies.

I've found a picture of the left side front hoses and they too are quite close to the damper. I guess this is how the setup is designed.

I will leave the hoses on with the slight twist to allow a greater clearance and see if I can find any pics on the net.

I really should have taken a photo of the original setup, which is my normal practice.

Geoff

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 07:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, here are pics of the hoses on my new parts car, LRE24730:
LRE24730 brake hoses
LRE24730 brake hoses 2
Kelly

BritishToolWorks.com

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 09:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Kelly - I really appreciate the pics.

It's surprising just how close the Rolls Engineers allowed the hoses to get to the damper. Also, from the lower picture, it looks like the hoses touch the axle yoke, which I guess is not a problem as the hoses are fastened to the yoke, so they move as a unit.

It's obviously not a problem as there would have been many cases of brake failure.

This has put my mind at rest that my car is safe to drive and that I haven't overlooked anything.

Thanks again

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 01:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

And those hoses are either the originals or very early replacements based on the woven covering on the hoses.

Here is a photo of the ones that came on SRH33576 as they were just before removal and replacement:

Original Front Brake Hoses 01

Original Front Brake Hoses 16

Original Front Brake Hoses 17

Original Front Brake Hoses 20

I probably have the "after" photos, too, but am not able to find them at the moment.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Tuesday, 03 October, 2017 - 03:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They may be original hoses but the position is not in the original position as per RR fitment they have been got at, one with a twist.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 02:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian for the additional pics. When I saw how close the hoses were to the damper on my car I did wonder if my car had been modified in some way. By comparing mine with your's and Kelly's it shows everything will be ok.

Patrick - could you describe what the actual RR fitment should be?

I've put a slight twist on my hoses to give greater clearance and I'm not sure whether to re-position them as in Brian's and Kelly's photos. I think in practice it does not matter as long as the hoses are not rubbing against any moving parts.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 03:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

My replacement front hoses are ever so slightly longer than the OEM ones, and I did something similar to what you did (and that was back in 2009).

Giving these hoses a slight twist to influence their resting position isn't going to hurt a thing.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 05:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Giving these hoses a slight twist to influence their resting position isn't going to hurt a thing."

One of many instructions on the fitment of hoses without any twist.
Good engineering practice.

According to FMVSS 106, hydraulic brake hoses (except the original hoses) must have at least two clearly identifiable stripes of at least one-sixteenth of an inch in width, placed on opposite sides of the brake hose parallel to its longitudinal axis. These are called “torque stripes”. One stripe may be interrupted by the information printed on the hose. These are to prevent twisting during assembly and installation.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 06:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

A "slight twist" will not be noticeable at all on the torque stripes.

Again, we're not talking round and round and round twisting here.

A couple of degrees to get the hose where you want it and then tightening down the connections is a "slight twist". You shouldn't be seeing a helix (or anything even vaguely close to one) created in those torque lines or the text line by a "slight twist" and, in the case of Geoff's installation, you certainly don't.

If I have to choose between an ever so slight twist to get something to not rub I'm choosing the slight twist, not the rub.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 06:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

DOT specifics on brake hose fitment.

"10. Don’t twist the hose. All replacement brake lines have a “torque stripe” or labeling information that should be straight when the hose is installed."
Note:
Straight when the hose is installed
Nothing about a very slight twist and we all know why.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 07:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just come across a photo of the left hand front wheel area, which I didn't realize I had and can see the hoses I replaced four years ago. I obviously put a slight twist on those also, to get clearance of the damper. After 4 years they look fine. Maybe the word "twist" is a misnomer here. Lets say I routed the hoses away from the damper and clamped them up. We are talking maybe 1 or 2 degrees.

For sure, if I'd routed them "straight" they would have been rubbing against the damper.

he

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 08:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I don't think anyone is talking about "linear straight" as you can (and do) arc the hoses in specific ways, but about "with no torsion end to end" which would throw the torque line out of perfect alignment.

As one installs hoses and needs to arc them into the shapes one must have to avoid things like the damper it's obvious that absolutely perfect lack of torsion is not likely to exist under any circumstances.

Hoses must be installed such that they do not have interference from parts that could possibly rub through them were constant contact to occur.

If it takes a degree or two off of absolute perfection to prevent rubbing I know what I'm going to do, and have done.

As it happens, I found my "after" photos. They won't show up well in 640x480 so I'm giving links to them on Google Drive:

Left Front Brake Hoses Installed

Right Front Brake Hoses Installed

And they've been like this since 2009.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 04:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes the pixs completely say it all!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: