Boot/trunk seal - how to glue? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Boot/trunk seal - how to glue? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, 27 September, 2017 - 05:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The previous owner forged the seal in the trunk because of the painting.

Now there is a bumping of the body lid on the road.

I bought a seal on flyinspares this one:

http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-bentley-shadow-t1-t2-corniche-mpw/body/gomas-de-capotas-rolls-royce/silver-shadow-t-1-2-boot-trunk-seal/boot-seal-ub15695p.html

They also sell some special glue there. But they can not send me because it can not be sent abroad. I am from Czech Republic.

There is also some primer.

Is it really necessary to solve this way? Or is it enough some adhesive glue? So put on both sides, let it ventilate and then apply it?

Thank you for your experience.

wayaroundit
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.26.66.232
Posted on Wednesday, 27 September, 2017 - 06:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Stefan, the silly design means that all the boot lid force is a 90 degrees to the glued face . . .so all it wants to do is peel off.

Keying both sides and cleaning everything is a must and the right glues is very important.

Although not recommended or strictly above board - if you have a friend in the UK you could get FS to send it to them and they could post it on using non air mail.

(Message approved by david_gore)

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

Did you post any pictures of your car yet?

I would like to see it.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Stefan

Why don't you give Flying Spares a call and ask the name of the adhesives they recommend. I am sure they will be helpful if you explain the circumstances (i.e. They are not able to send you the adhesives.) You may then be able to source them locally in Prague.

From looking at their photographs, the one product is Bostik 9252 Primer. The label of the actual glue is not visible but the tin looks like it is also made by Bostik, as would be expected.

Try giving them a call.

Geoff

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 07:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As Geoff says, try to source in your country. the primer is Bostik 9252 and the adhensive (2 parts) is Boscoprene 2402.

See details near end of Shadow workshop manual body section,part 1 for detail of how exactly to fit. Also remarks about 2 x extra seals at lower corners on later cars that are recommended to be fitted.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: