Sill to wing fitting Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Sill to wing fitting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rod Hebblewhite
New User
Username: velvet_green

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 05:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I will shortly be replacing my left hand sill and the adjoining front wing section. My question is:- Is there a distinct line between the wing and sill or is it filled flush. I have looked at numerous pictures and some are and some aren't, which suggests that they were originally separate.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 834
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod they were originally separate, I have a pair of cills unused, I was going to replace mine but ended up repairing them instead, the original ones are a lot heavier gauge of steel.

Richard.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod, we are replacing the sills on a Shadow that my son is restoring at present.Depending how you cut in the new sill. you may need to remove the doors, and be sure to correct any corrosion to the lower flange and inner sill/ A post structure if it is present. Also check for lead loading, Rolls seem to use a lot of this and it is a painful nuisance when welding ! We have burned it out with a blowlamp first. Although the car we are working on is a very corroded example, the Inner sill and A post were not too bad. Even so, I think we have spent about 35 hours on the offside sill and I would guess the other side will take as long. Next job is lower front wing and arch and when both sides are complete, anew front Valence and wing corners , paint strip and full respray.Incidentally, we have also replaced the rear Valence. All sections and lower rear wings etc. The rear valence and sections are very difficult to replace and the structure is complex.
Mark

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The lower front wing section between the wheel arch and sill is separate to the sill as it is part of the front wing. Between the front of the outer sill and the rear of the lower wing should show a perpendicular line which is filled i.e., there is no gap but the seam line where they join should be visible.

Rod Hebblewhite
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 10:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys, that confirms my suspicions, there is a perpendicular line between the two which I will try and replicate. Thanks Larry.
Thanks for your input Mark, the flange has rotted almost back to the jack point, once I have the new panels from Flying spares I should know how far forward it comes, bottom of the A post isn't too bad and only needed a small repair, the sill extension is also rotted and I will repair that once I know what shape it needs to be.
Thanks for your input as well Richard, hopefully the panels from Flying Spares will be factory spec.

Rod Hebblewhite
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 00:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just received my replacement panels from Flying Spares and at first glance I am impressed. I had wondered if I had cut to much metal from the bottom of the wing and imagined trying to fabricate a filler between the two. No such problem as the repair panel has enough metal that I could afford to cut another 4" off if necessary.
I had the same concern with the sill but the new sill comes with the top lip that goes under the bottom of the doors.
Time to get the welder out and start plating the places you can't see.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, 29 September, 2017 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The less old metal you can cut off the better, reduces the weld area which reduces the risk of heat warping in the panel being repaired.

Rod Hebblewhite
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 04:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wont be cutting to much off, just enough to get to the rusty bits underneath. It's level with the top of the sill at the moment but may need another inch off to give me a bit of extra space to work in.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: