Transmission Gear Actuator Wiring Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Transmission Gear Actuator Wiring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 01:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would anyone know if the wiring for the transmission gear actuator from a 67 RHD Shadow be the same as for a 78 LHD Shadow? My source said they should be the same but I trust you guys! I need the harness for a 78 I am restoring. The wiring is burnt on mine. It would be great also if anyone has the wiring especially for a Shadow II!

Thanks!

Richard

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 02:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No the wiring is not the same.

A RHD SS1 has a 4 speed gear box and fluid flywheel.

I would make the loom. It goes from toe board plug to gear box plug.

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 03:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert....I was getting ready to post I didn't do my homework before posting the question.

In making the loom, how would I know which wire goes where into the plug that goes into the actuator? I have good clean wire at the "toe board" but burnt wire under the car and at the plug (with no wire color showing).

Richard

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 06:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard., where are you.?

I may be able to find one to sell you.

Cheers. Paul.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 06:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The wiring diagrams has numbers on the plugs etc plus the colour code of the wires.

If Paul has one then go that route

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 07:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,
I believe the RHD SSI dropped the old 4 speed and fluid flywheel in 1968 in favour of the new 3 speed Turbo Hydro.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 07:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At chassis no. 4483, left hand drive was always 3 speed. the early leftie had variable stator in the torque convertor actuated by a switch on throttle linkage . This was to give (I think) a part throttle type down change, although I never came across a car with it fitted.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are a number of different looms and actuators.

What is the car's chassis number and is the actuator you have off that car?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 01:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr Ryan,
I meant to say the 6250cc SS1

I would cut the loom leaving the unburnt section intact. The wires are soldered to the plug and the void filled with silicon. Splice the wires to the unburnt section test and heat shrink when sure all is correct. Temporary choc blocks could be used for testing in case you get wires mixed up.

I know this because my wiring played up and I found a wire broken at the plug end, the weakest point due to engine movement and old age.

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

I have ordered a complete harness from a 1976 Shadow with a 3 speed TH400 transmission. I HOPE this will work with my 78? If not, I will out very little. I had intended to do as Robert said and splice the wires but this "good" deal came about and I took advantage if it. I sincerely appreciate you willing to help!

Richard

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 03:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good O.

If it doesn't fit at least you will have spare plugs and wires to make up a loom.

In the work shop manual chapter M is the wiring diagrams so my first point of call would be the diagram and a continuity tester. Draw out in colour ( I got felt tips for xmas ) the relevant section.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: