Grease Nipple Adaptor Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Grease Nipple Adaptor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 15:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I purchased this Alemite grease nipple adaptor from a Chev guy in the USA quite some time ago for my 1925 Chevrolet Superior K.
Do you know of anyone who does them to suit the British flat head (sorry don't know the correct name)type of grease nipple?

Chris Miller
Grand Master
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 15:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick,

I got mine from Grainger. They called it a Button Fitting.

Chris.

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 16:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

McMaster-Carr sells this one:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2906k97/=13gkkm6

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys.

I will check those out.

McMaster look as though they don't send over seas.

I will check them out properly at work in the morning.

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 23:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

MSC ship internationally:

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Lubricants-Coolants-Fluids/Grease-Gun-Couplers-Nozzles-Accessories?searchterm=button+head+grease&navid=4287924142

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've got a list of multiple sources (including at least one or two of the above) in the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation. Search for "grease" and you'll find them.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys,

I ordered one from MCS.

Do you guys run any particular type of grease in your cars?
Or is just a general purpose chassis grease ok?

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 06:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The one from McMaster-Carr looks easier to use - am I mistaken?

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use high melting point Moly grease in all applications, except handbrake mechanism which is exposed to water (UK !) For this I use marine stern tube grease which is waterproof, and adheres well.
I have just purchase 6kg of Aero shell 33 grease ( out of use by date for CAA). This is a synthetic corrosion resisting and waterproof grease and high melting point. Will try on exposed linkages.Certainly has not washed off gate locks etc this winter.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John - I use the adapter type similar to the one shown in the McMaster link i.e. through 90 degrees. This is important for access on the steering and front suspension points. I bought it over the counter from Grainger. There should be one near you.

Mark - thanks for the tip on Moly grease. I'm always unsure what type to use.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Castrol LM chassis grease is good stuff.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 14:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Castrol LM chassis grease is good stuff - Robert."

IMHO, Castrol LMM is even better for extreme pressure usage [e.g. suspension and steering ball joints and universal joint cruciform bearings] due to its higher Molybdenum disulphide content which confers very low friction with consequent increased service life in extreme pressure sliding wear conditions.

I have owned several purchased-new private vehicles over the years where I used LMM for regularly greasing these components [if sealed-for-life, these are either modified with grease nipples for this purpose or replaced with greasable equivalents]. These vehicles individually have covered 450,000+km [280,000+miles] and none of these items have required replacement let alone shown any signs of excessive wear. This is essential as I currently do a lot of dirt road driving and fording river crossings which mean regular lubrication is essential.

Sealed-for-life components might be fine for city driving but can be the cause of a breakdown in a remote location [Murphy's Law] with no mobile phone coverage and a long walk if another vehicle does not appear on the scene. My 4WD has double drive belts for the alternator, water pump and fan for this reason as failure of one belt means you still have a functioning drive belt to get you home. The non-essential air conditioning compressor and power steering hydraulic pump have individual single belt drives.

I always use a Bentone-based non-melting grease for ball and roller bearings due to its resistance to melting in high-temperature service environments [e.g. Castrol HTB bearing grease - now HTB 2]. This grease gives exceptional performance to idler pulley bearings on engine drive belts and whenever these bearings are replaced as a preventative maintenance item, I always remove the new replacement bearing dust caps with a needle point tool, flush out the manufacturer's grease and repack with HTB before replacing the dust caps and installation.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 18:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All terrific advice David.

I have found sealed for life items quite good and reliable when normal highway use (regardless of mileage travelled) is the norm. But as soon as you add water to the equation it all falls down. Normal rain water on the odd occasion is ok, but as soon as you add regular creek or stream crossings the reliability is gone.

In regards to belts, again great advice and great back ups.

However a vehicle with a single serpentine belt can be an issue. Having one belt drive everything is good, but also not so good on some occasions.

The belts themselves are quite cheap.
Just keep one handy, but be sure to photograph, or draw the rout the belt takes, as once it is off, it is nearly impossible to re rout one without a diagram.

Some Aussie cars have a decal under the bonnet showing this.

For those of you not familiar with serpentine belts, or sometimes called ribbed V belt here are a few pics.

One belt doing the lot.

How the belt wears and slips

Typical aged and worn belt

The wear indicator that is on the spring loaded belt tensioner.
Check the wear limits on this with the engine running plus give it a bit of a rev to see if the indicator falls into the "replace" field.

Belt running in the "OK" area

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: