Corniche Spare Wheel Nut tool Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Corniche Spare Wheel Nut tool « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 09:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Corniche DRH32489 was in the judging at the RROCA Qld Concours last Sunday, and the judges highlighted that I had a additional tool in my large tool bag. This was a brace with a universal and a socket for loosening the spare wheel nut. The socket supplied in the tool kit is has an extension, but since the Corniche has a lip (about 8") above the floor, this tool cannot be used to undo the spare wheel nut. Hence the non RR brace, universal and socket. Three other 1970s Corniches at the Concours had the same problem, however a much later Corniche had the nut located well away from the lip and obviously could be undone using the supplied tool. Am I missing a RR tool or did Mulliner Park Ward screw up their design.

Spare wheel nut sloped toward lip of boot

Original tool does not fit

Universal fitting allowing nut to fit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why won't picture 3 work?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or are you asking if that tool is what was supplied with the car?

Yes.

Chris Miller
Grand Master
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 03:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

Something like this would work pretty well...
Ratchet Box Wrench
... but I suspect that you already know that.

Chris.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 09:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

DRH14434 did not have an angled nut like the one in your first image - my impression is there has been some distortion of the plate the nut bears on when removing/replacing the spare wheel.

This may be the result of accident damage or excessive tension being applied when tightening the nut to bring the wheel carrier back into position after replacing a wheel in the carrier.

John Rowney
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, the 3 Corniches from the 70s all had the same problem. The nuts were all on angles The nut on the newer Corniche had the nut about 2 to 3 inches away from the wall, so no problem with the supplied tool - picture 2. Sorry I captioned the pictures but things didn't work out. I am happy with the brace and universal which is in my hand book. The brace handle is blue in my tools, and doesn't seem to be a RR sort of tool. Maybe MPW just threw any old brace into the tool kit when they realised the normal socket didn't quite do the job.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 06:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, Great that it all works as it should.

Is the whole brace blue or the plastic handle bit? From memory the brace, UJ, and socket were all Britool (which has blue plastic) and so very good quality.

I think it is just a Shadow boot floor and carrier - with the 2 door parts added. The nut is at a perfect angle for a Shadow without the boot rear panel.

So cost, more than a design fault I'd guess.

(It is probably also possible to put the bracket where the raising tool attaches to the spare wheel carrier on forwards and backwards. It might be worth looking to see if that would angle it slightly better.)

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 06:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While looking at the following link that Brian posted in the current "dashboard" thread:

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/21.pdf

I see that at page S120 there is a discussion of the spare tire rack and since there are multiple rubber bushings and moving parts, many of which are "adjustable", my bet is that the alignment has become deranged thus causing the nut to be at such an odd and less convenient angle. No doubt it was not that way when it left the factory. Readjustment will probably involve removal of the spare tire, loosening and observation of all the parts and joints, and reassembly in a manner appropriate to eliminate the odd condition.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 06:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A plug socket fits. 13/16 AF or 21mm AF.
The carrier looks to far forward causing the draw bolt to lean back.
Suspect car has been reversed into something low like a kerb this bend the whole lot forward.

Remove assembly and check it out.

I am going to drop my carrier sometime for a good coat on black gloss.

The thread on the draw bolt is a special type of asymmetric acme thread or half buttress. So don't damage it, it's not a bit of studding.

My XJ6 used to have a spare wheel well which I prefer because the spare can be removed for extra luggage space. I have only ever had one puncture.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, 31 July, 2016 - 09:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Camargue has the wiggly blue handled britool. It is clearly shown in the handbook item 7 fig38. The standard wheel brace cannot work to lower the spare with the lip that the Corniche also has.

Maybe the Queensland judges need to attend the Victorian judges training day next Sunday.

cam2

cam

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 02:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Britool tools are very good quality kit and apart from a 1/2 drive ratchet I have never broken britool tools.

John Rowney
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 03:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks everyone. I should have read the manual properly and pulled it out for the judges in Qld. My brace is the same as Mark's one, Britool with the blue handle. I guess that should end the discussion, and I should "read the instructions" first to save confusion. So I have the correct tool - one less expense trying to find a tool when I had it all the time!

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 06:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As one of the judges on Sunday, I apologise to John for any confusion.
From memory, we did not penalise in this instance as we weren't 100% sure at the time.

Thanks for clarifying and congrats to John and his fine Corniche.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: