Silver Shadow possible overdrive Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Silver Shadow possible overdrive « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
Has anyone fitted one of these Gear Vendor overdrive units to the back of the TH400?

They are very popular with hot rods and drag cars

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is their web site.
https://www.gearvendors.com/

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why oh why?

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Economy perhaps.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 01:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys,
Yes Vlad is right, purely for economy.
We do a lot of long drives in this car visiting relatives.
Far south coast of NSW which is roughly 400km or 250 miles. Or the far north coast of NSW which is roughly 555km or 345 miles. All good highway.
Just wanting the advantage of having an overdrive specifically for economy reasons.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 05:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A Shadow with overdrive would be a magnificent long-distance conveyance if a suitable unit could be matched to the engine power and torque output IMHO.

Australia is a land where long-distance drives [i.e.500kM+] are common-place.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 06:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I love these cars getting used :-)

I would suggest LPG for over here. No idea how it's taxed in Oz.

I don't think you will find space for that one. How many miles would you need to recover the cost?

Lock up torque converter?

A later diff?

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 08:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul.
Yes mate.
I love telling people that come to look at my car that
"It's a car"
It's meant to have bums on seats, travel long distances if needed, and yes let my kids drive it LOL
They love it bye the way, the daughter always steals the keys.
Funny how she does not know where the petrol filler is?????
Funny that.
I always offer anyone checking the car out to jump,in and take a seat (and a selfie if they want)
I do a lot of truck shows, so ushering people inside the nearest conveyance is normal for me.

I'm not a fan (I know my bad) of LPG.
I worked on many a truck with LPG that just destroyed the engines.

I like the idea of the torque converter. As well.

I don't want to play with the diff ratio as I SO much like the low speed torque with that diff is just so perfect.

For me, reducing RPM at highway speeds for hours on end is my goal.

I think you are right Paul, considering there is the shift motor, it may not work at all.
What a shame.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 502
Posted on Wednesday, 25 May, 2016 - 07:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LPG - like all things in Oz from a good idea like LPG which is better for the environment to a parrot's left foot, the political swine here will sooner or later tax it to oblivion as soon as they smell the general public has taken it up in a big way.

I like LPG a lot but our lovely friends in parliament have virtually taxed it out of economic reality to the point that it is in my opinion hardly worth the effort. The rampaging greed of the oil companies to the distributors has not helped the situation either.

But the gearvendors overdrive unit I have looked at with great interest as well as their underdrive unit. I will be placing a GV overdrive on the Camargue, the Cadillac and on the Jaguar I will put an underdrive for eyeball flattening acceleration coupled with the Cadillac 500ci V8 at 600hp and the 6 speed Tremec manual gearbox.

With the Camargue, it being such a rare beast I will put a plaque on the boot/trunk "Overdrive" and stamp RR on the GV unit itself simply to indulge in scalliwag behaviour at RR/B meets by claiming it was a special order for the Aga Khan.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, 25 May, 2016 - 08:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work Vlad.
I hope you will be putting images of the units as they progress on here for us to view?

Your right about LPG,
It is now almost economically unviable to make the conversion.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, 06 April, 2017 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, did anything come of this?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Thursday, 06 April, 2017 - 08:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

No mate.
Nothing as yet.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: