Photos of our cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Photos of our cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Adlam
Experienced User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone

Seeing as we're a bunch of very enthusiastic RR/B devotees and essentially in a "club" on these forums, I felt it's about time we compiled a "show" of our cars.

Helps to familiarise and personalise things a little.

Here's SRH16373. True, the mirrors aren't "proper" but they're in excellent shape and IMHO, suit the style of car quite well. Overall, she's a nice all-round reliable machine that I'm happy to take anywhere without paranoia!.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love it to pieces!
Getting my pics ready to share! LRF 30305

1977 Wraith II

Patrick Ryan
Experienced User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 01:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nick,
That is a magnificent example of a Silver Shadow.
I do really like the gold, it is VERY Rolls Royce.
Your interior is beautiful as well.
I cant quite see, but does you car have the front ankle freezer vents?

Patrick Ryan
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 01:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,
I love it to pieces as well.
Who doesn't like a beautiful 2 tone blue with Everflex. Superb.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 02:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy, very very nice. Would that be Ocean Blue?. Unlike some marques out there, RR have maintained nice proportions with the LWB/Wraith II.

I have a soft spot for the Everflex but they seem rare in Oz. That great bright ball in the sky is particularly harsh downunder and I guess the US market was more attracted to that style.

Thanks for the kind words Pat. This is what it's all about. My April-July 1973 was built not long after the freezers were deleted. They're an elegant touch. BTW, is yours Seychelles Blue?.

Patrick Ryan
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 03:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nick,
Agree.
The Australian sun is an absolute killer.
Luckily my car lived its life since 1975 under cover in a sandstone shed.
It now lives in a garage and under a UV proof cover.
Most cars I looked at or know that are Everflex have been replaced since new.
Yes mate, my car is Seychelles Blue as it was built.
I was lucky enough to stumble across this car which pretty much had everything I wanted.
Goes to show, all good things come to those who wait.
The 2 years looking paid off.
My ankle freezers are of the last model where, they are there, but are not connected. Built just before the deletion of them. For me, the vents were a must in a car I was looking for.
I had a very precise list. Which was hurting my head a bit and thought I would not find what I wanted.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 569
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 03:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

what are ankle freezers?

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 06:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar

They are the small air intakes beneath the headlights on early SS1's. They directed fresh air to your feet and if you lived in England/northern Europe- you froze!.

Pat, those build sheets are fascinating aren't they?. What amazed me was the blemishes, rejected parts and bugs that occurred. Mine showed "fit brake light switch" on no less than 7 sheets!. Still, they sorted everything out in fine style.

Patrick Ryan
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 08:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good explanation of the ankle freezers mate.
However I do wish mine were connected, I love fresh air in the car and often cruise with the windows down, so a good flow of fresh air on the floor from direct vents would be good.

My ankle freezer fake vents
Factory original but not connected. Not sure when these were deleted from the SSI

Patrick Ryan
Experienced User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 08:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nick,
My build sheets are quite fascinating.
And a great source of information. My car has some blemishes in the passenger side (left hand side) in the lead wiped area that joins the front panel to the side guard or wing.
What is amazing is that the build sheet mentions some "pin holes" in exactly this same area in December 1971!
The area is circled in the build sheets in 2 times, and of course rectified upon delivery.
The mechanic who has been looking after the car for over 30 years said he noticed it but, it has not got any worse after all these years.
When I entered the car in its first Concours in the "touring class" I pointed this blemish out to the judges and they said "why haven't you fixed it?"
I replied it matches my build sheet.
They loved my way of thinking on this and said ok, great.

If people don't have their build sheets, do yourself a favour and get them, great record to have with your beautiful cars.
It will cost you 100GBP, so not cheap, but worth the money.

Patrick Ryan
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 08:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy,
Just looking at your lovely car, I really like the bumper bars. I'm not usually into the later bars, but these really look fantastic, and the fit and finish looks perfect.
Beautiful lines mate.

Patrick Ryan
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 09:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I better put up an image of my car guys.
This is at our RROC NSW commemoration run which is part of our 60th anniversary year festivities.
We had to dress in either 50's gear (when the club was founded) or in the age of our car.
See if you can guess what my wife and I chose?

Here is another pic of SRH12255.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 659
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is SRH 9391 1970 Silver Shadow, in Seychelles Blue

SRH 9391

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2016 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love these cars. Here's a couple I took of mine.

car1

car2

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A couple of years ago I bought a Cyclo car polisher. This is the type with two mops that rotate in opposite directions. Apparently, the problem with the standard orbital polisher is it is very easy to cut straight though the paintwork if held at the wrong angle. The reviews said the Cyclo was idiot proof, which is just as well in my case. The thing is, I have not yet used it. Seeing Patrick's car has motivated me to get it out of the box and hopefully bring my car up to that deep shine that Patrick has achieved on his.

This is in no way meant to denigrate the other cars (mine included), but you have to admit the finish on Patrick's paintwork is exceptional.

Geoff

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent idea, Nick.

This is my 1979 Shadow II.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 04:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 75 Shadow in Ivory

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 571
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 04:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Green Wraith II

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 04:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow, that Ivory looks splendid, Omar!

Cheers,
Jeff.

Roger Routledge
Experienced User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 04:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 1976 Shadow. Purchased in 2000. Labour of love!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 572
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 04:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I actually think they all look amazing in any colour.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 660
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 05:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I so enjoy looking at all the Cars! Great Idea!
Nick, the Wraith is Caribbean Blue.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 05:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is so much more interesting to be viewing each others cars, rather than just calling up google images.

Great idea Nick.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 985
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 06:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

work horse going strong.

Work horse going strong, new MOT no adviserys.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!

New ruling on reg plates for the use of black and silver instead of the reflective ones.
1973 was the old year for historic but now 1974 onwards when historic registered.
New ones on order.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 06:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

that must be my favourite picture of them all !

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 986
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 06:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Shaddow 1

Patrick Ryan
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 09:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nick certainly was on the money with this idea.
Let me start from the last posting.

Patrick,
I bet you get ALOT of attention towing a box trailer full of wood with that beauty. Love the Lucas fog lights. I have Marshall fog lights on mine, and I'm not that fussed on them, or their location. These were fitted during pre Delivery at Jack Barkley's in 72, and I don't know weather to replace them and fit Lucas, and more central in there location to the vent? Thoughts?
Great load there, what are you building?

Roger,
Your Shadow I is outstanding, love the colour and love the beige lower dash, it really suits this beautiful car. Your interior is stunning. We can just see you in the B pillar trim
I wish my engine bay was that clean. I have to clean mine before the next Concours, but I am worried about a lot of water near the Lucas electrics. It's the only part of the car I struggle with.

Omar,
Your deep green is magnificent, and your right, these wonderful machines have THE classis Rolls Royce look and style that I don't think will ever be matched when it comes to how long these cars still turn heads, and get very positive comments from young and old. As you rightly say, they all look fantastic no matter what the colour.
I have to admit Omar, I have never seen an ivory Shadow. This looks amazing, would love to see some internal shots??

Benoit,
Your SSII looks very regal, I have a soft spot for the chin spoiler, looks great.
Is that an Everflex roof, and is it a LWB car?

Geoff,
There is nothing better than a good full frontal of a FAT Shadow, the lower you get the shot, the fatter & meaner they look.
It's quite amazing the different looks these cars produce from different angles. The chrome bumper bar is very cool, and it is why I wanted the SSI to begin with.
Hey!
Your interior is fabulous, you were a bit critical of your interior, it looks fantastic.
Looks like mine except the steering wheel is on the wrong side LOL.
I have a confession to make.
And I know everyone will be shocked as I cop it here in Oz, but all I use on my car exterior is Mr Sheene furniture polish and a microfiber cloth.
Yes yes, I know it's silicone based and panel beaters will hate me for that.
But, if they do there job properly (and keep fingers crossed I don't have the need to visit them) they should prepare the body so the silicone isn't an issue.
Geoff, you car already looks fantastic, I cant wait to see it all done.

Randy,
Love that rear 3/4 view of your car. It looks Its funny what light and cameras can do to car colours we are familiar with.
If you hadn't identified your car as Seychelles Blue, I would have picked it as Peacock Blue in that shot.
In some shots mine looks like that, and even Midnight Blue.
Funny what the eye, camera (probably white balance setting) and lighting conditions can do.
Does your car have the early non vented hub caps??

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

You are right, the steering wheel is on the wrong side, as is the case for all LHD cars. The reason is it is much harder to look behind you when reversing in a LHD car. This is because your right leg is in the way. In a RHD car you can swivel your whole body round and still keep your right foot on the accelerator/brake pedals.

Geoff.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen, I'm quite lost for words. Amazing cars, colours and interiors- ALL of them. You should be proud.

Thanks for the great response.

I really yearned for a blue- Seychelles, Caribbean or Peacock but SRH16373 really jumped out at me. Tan/beige leather is light and airy- adds to the fell good factor when out cruising.

Sir F.H. Royce would be proud also.

Keep them coming everyone.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 662
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 01:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick:SRH9391 does have the unvented wheel covers.
Thanks.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 01:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Geoff,
Never looked at it that way, my daughter wouldn't agree, she doesn't look when going backwards, i'm sure she thinks everyone will get out of her way so why worry
But I see exactly what you are saying.

Nick,
You're right, your colour combination is very sweet indeed. As you said, Sir F.H. Royce would be smiling from ear to ear if he saw how we maintain his dream and vision.
As he said:
"The quality remains long after the cost is forgotten"
I like those words.
Maybe he wasn't to aware of second hand parts dealers pricing back then
I looked at a gold one at a place called Bathurst, west of Sydney for a friend, and it had the beautiful gold exterior with the burgundy interior, almost very depressing when opening the door. Cosmetically and interior this car was way above average, but mechanically neglected. I offered $6k. I think some poor soul paid $14K. Brakes were fully inoperative. All woodwork needed re doing. My friend is still looking.

I really like the un vented wheel covers Randy, really sets the early models apart. Nice stuff.
Here are some images of the gold car I was referring to.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 08:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

As requested in another thread, here are some photos of DRH14434.

Unfortunately DRH14434 is no longer in my care having been a casualty in a long and unfortunate Family Court property settlement 10 years ago. The only photos I have are as below, the vehicle was originally Coffee Bean Brown with cream upholstery and gold coachlines. At some stage before the car came into the family and most likely its last UK owner painted the upper side with a darker Brown with flecks of metallic Copper [the closest match I ever found was a Fiat brown from the 1970's]:

DRH14434 - NSW Commemoration Run 2003

NSW Self Help Day 30 November 2002 L to R SRH4032, SRH40497 & DRH14434

Jean-christophe Jost
New User
Username: jc_jost

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH25085

English lady retired in the vineyards of Burgundy.

1976 Silver Shadow

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jean,

Beautiful car. In fact the thing that surprises me is all of the cars above, without exception, are in such excellent condition. It's good to know these cars are in safe hands. It will ensure their survival.

How do you find driving a RHD car in France. Is overtaking a problem?

Geoff

Jean-christophe Jost
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 01:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Thanks, as all of us I'm doing my best to keep her beautiful, with, of course a jealous wife.

Driving at the right of the car is not a problem, but you are right about overtaking : it is Russian roulette on single carriageways, especially when you're queuing behind a slow slow truck! So what do I do ? I wait with music.

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 02:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While not as beautiful as the other cars here - yet - I'm giving it my best...
Bare Metal Rolls
Bare Metal Rolls2

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 02:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jean

I like the background. A particularly beautiful part of France. I have driven through it, although unfortunately not in the Rolls. Stayed in Dijon and then headed south to Lyon. We were in the hotel in Lyon and at around 12 midnight heard lots of screaming and yelling from the street below. We looked out the window and there were literally hundreds of people on roller skates, skating through the city in torrential rain. It looked surreal, but really spectacular. I think we had occasioned across a local event, unknown to us. The following day we tried to go further south to Nice but the traffic queues were just too great. It was the Bastille weekend and everyone in France was headed in the same direction. Great days.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 03:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly

I have always been interested in your restoration. From the pics of the various parts you have shown over the past few months it is obvious this is going to be a top notch job. It looks like you are almost ready for the paint.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 573
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 04:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,
Your photos have stolen the show for me.
I love photos like these - truly amazing.
Keep them rolling..... in your case Kelly literally....
Omar

Jean-christophe Jost
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 05:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

The background is my village. I'll be truly happy to drive you in my Shadow, and also any member of this fantastic forum, next time you visit my area.

Kelly,

Wow!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 987
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 06:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some pictures of our walnut Shadow 2, just turned 45000 miles.
Full service history.
Due for its mot next month.
Both cars are running LPG still no valve probs.

The blue RR is a early one bought years ago for spares but never needed.
May use the n/s mirror as the years pass by.

Shadow 2

Shadow 2

Shadow 2

Shadow 2

Shadow 2

Shaddow 1

Shaddow 1

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 08:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,
Lovely photos of a lovely car with a beautiful interior, your dash is magnificent.
Pat,
I can tell you an easy way to fix your grab straps in the back and stop them from sagging if you haven't already fixed them.
I hope the blue shadow one gets back on the road, she looks lonely sitting in the grass.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 08:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jean,
I agree with Geoff. What a magnificent image of a stunning car with what could be described as one of the best back drops for a car photo ever.
You better be careful. There may be quite a queue of us for that drive you have now promised us

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 08:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly,
Those pics are great.
Do you have a link to the earlier photos as mentioned by Geoff?

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 08:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
Thanks so much for posting the images of your magnificent Corniche. Love the colour combo, and the image of her proudly out front of Neville's for your 2002 commemoration run. What a great image of all those beautiful cars ready and waiting their turn on the hoist. Now who doesn't like a beautiful topless Rolls Royce.

David,
Here is a link to our (RROC NSW) 2016 commemoration run on the NSW southern highlands.
As my pic of my wife & I shows above, you could dress in the age of your car, or in 50's style that represents the founding of club in 1956.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZX9esqdxbE

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 987
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 09:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rush out side and fit spot lamps below front bumper. turn brackets upside down.

Else the spot lamps ruin the purity of line.

if thine spot lamps offend thee puck them out and refit below bumper.

Warning a man with a brown coat and roll up fag and flat cap is on his way to do the deed.
The is known as the scarlet car pimper.

Saw some spots 2 square inches. 8 of these should keep the one safe.}}}}

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 09:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love the photos Kelley, keep us informed. I love pics of all the underneath!
Have you seen the photo of the body warehouse in Crewe, back in the day, with unfinished Shadow bodies on the racks?
I am going to work on some better photos of my Cars, inside and out. This is fun!

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 09:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HELP!
I haven't seen any pics of underneath Kelly's car.
Or any others except the 2 above.
Link anyone?

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm at work at the moment. I'll get some pics posted tomorrow morning.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

Here's a copy of a picture Kelly uploaded a while ago. It was to help me identify a location for a temperature gauge sender unit I was fitting at the time. However, I could not help but admire the quality of the work he was carrying out. The picture speaks for itself:

carbs

I hope Kelly will post regular updates of his restoration, as it progresses.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

I liked the youtube video. I took a copy of it. The green shades looked cool.

It was also interesting to put a couple of faces to names: Brian Crump and Jeanne Eve. Jeanne published a thread of the RREC Centenary Alpine Trial 1913-2013 which can be found here:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/14188.html

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 990
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omars car is very nice.

It looks like Wolf Banarto green. a Bentley boy

omars wins until i blow vou socks off with my car.

just to make the competition interesting entrance fee is Ł50 winner takes it all.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,
Yes mate, whole heartedly agree there. How good does that inlet manifold look all gloss black. New hoses always look exceptional as well.
Now Geoff,
You will now need to get that 2 headed polisher onto your 2 x SU body's to match Kelly's. Gotta love attention to detail.

Thanks,
The green view all day was cool out of those shades.
Jeanne did an amazing job, and it was reflected in the video, and the day in general. Every one had a ball, and the cars and costumes looks fantastic.
Brian is a true gentleman, and is always on hand to give help and advice to all within a very tight club he runs beautifully. Great to be part of a car club like this one.
I have a 25 Chevrolet Superior K touring as well as the SSI, and the Chevrolet club had more bitches than the local RSPCA. I was out of there very quickly. More tools than the local Snap On vendor!

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

C'mon Bob.
Lets see it mate!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 01:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

You will now need to get that 2 headed polisher onto your 2 x SU body's to match Kelly's.

For some reason one of the previous owners of my car had sprayed black paint all over the engine parts. Over the three years I've owned the car I have removed the paint and cleaned up the components, as and when I needed to do maintenance on them. It doesn't look bad now.

However if you look at Kelly's carbs you can see the attention to detail - the fuel pipes, filter covers, the linkage damper etc. They look like new.

Here's a pic of mine after I'd cleaned them up. It's well worth doing as it makes working on the engine so much nicer.

carbs

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 02:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very nice Geoff.
Your carb set looks magnificent. The black intakes look really cool.
And yes, Kelly's stuff is stunning, I cant wait to see more.
As I mentioned in the parking light thread I started (which are still perfect BTW) the only part of my car I am embarrassed about is my engine bay.
It really hasn't been cleaned in 16 years, and It was commented on as a negative (I knew it would be)at the first Concours I entered it into.
I do need to do something before the next concours, but I really struggle putting water near Lucas electrics.
Here is some pics of my dirty little secret under my gleaming bonnet LOL

I now have a brand new washer bottle ready to install this weekend.
Please note the Frankenstein washer bottle & motor fitted near the spring tower.

And brand new under bonnet insulation being fitted in a week or 2. the pads in the pic are factory.
Plus I need a decal for the hydraulic reservoir which I can't find anywhere.
I would like to wash under the bonnet before then, so I don't dirty the new pads.

David Gore

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 05:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, confession time, I used to degrease the engine bay of DRH14434 with kerosine to avoid using water-based alkaline degreasers that attack the surface finish of the light alloy components in the engine bay. I used a compressed air driven mist sprayer to remove the muck from the engine bay components then rinse the entire bay with fresh clean kerosine and allow to "drip dry".

Like you, I had an aversion to using water to avoid contamination of the electrical components and wiring loom connectors. Flattened refrigerator cartons were ideal to put under the car to catch and absorb the muck-laden kerosine to keep it off the concrete garage floor and driveway. When the job was completed, I would spray the entire floor with 1 part Chemtech CT18 truck wash mixed with 3 parts water, let it stand for 30 minutes and rinse off with a water blaster to deodorise and clean the floor/driveway as appropriate.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 06:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bob,
we want to see your car.....
And what about Kelly's standard of work eh?
Amazing!!

Omar

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 07:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As requested elsewhere, pics of the mutts in the back of my old Turbo R. There are usually lots of covers on the seats! Sorry it's not a Shadow, I am most ashamed

dogs/car

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 08:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
What a great shot of the pampered pooches!!
They look very happy to be sitting in those most stunning seats mate.
Hey Bentley, Rolls Royce, we are all Crew brothers here.
Don't feel bad, we're happy to see your image. Thanks for sharing.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 08:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Omar,
C'mon Bob.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 08:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
That's a great concoction to use. Did it cause the manifolds to smoke using the Kero? If so how long did they smoke for?
I will be fitting the new under bonnet insulation soon, so I will need to do it before then.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 09:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly
I noticed in your 2 images of your bare metal body what appear to be the lead wiped joints between the roof and the top of the C pillar?
If so do you have any images of the lead wiped areas shown below?
Where the front wing meets the front radiator support panel.

And where the front wing meets the bottom of the A pillar

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have used parts washer fluid, brushed and sprayed onto engines etc and then washed off with brake cleaner, as an effective cleaner.
Mark

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's an interesting mixture mark.
The brake cleaner didn't stain anything?

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

White mineral spirit is pretty volatile and will evaporate generally without leaving an oily film.
I usually try to hand wipe or brush when cleaning. I try to make one significant (to me) improvement every time I am "down under yonder". It seems an overwhelming task at first, but try it and you will be surprised (as I was) at the positive effect you will see.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 01:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

to answer your questions :

- it is indeed an Everflex roof
- it's just a normal SWB saloon

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 01:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH9391 Interior and ankle chillers (not connected)

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 07:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a beautiful looking car Benoit.
The roof really sets it apart.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 07:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is one truly beautiful example of a SSI Randy.
Awesome colour and check out that stunning paint.
This is why I feel I need to remove my Marshall Fog lights.
The front of your car is so clean & original. Just love the lines.
This is such a fresh looking original machine mate. You ought to be proud of this beauty.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 667
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks fellows!
All your Cars are beauties, too! By design, of course!

David Gore

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Re using kerosine for engine bay cleaning; if you allow the manifolds to air dry completely, there is little if no kerosine odour like you used to get with the old "Fyrside" home kerosine heaters of the 1950's.

If you start the engine while the headers are still wet, you will get a hot kerosine odour while it evaporates which then disappears until your next cleaning frenzy.

The only downside from using kerosine is possible hardening of the fan belts over time however an occasional application of industrial V-belt conditioner keeps this problem under control - I have always used this conditioner despite the "experts" saying it should not be used [personally, I think they have a vested interest in selling and/or installing replacement fan belts].

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH1405 (the first SS was number 1001). will have its 50th birthday in September this year.. It was a U.K. delivery, sold to an accountant in Edinburgh. In the mid 1970's it was sold to a London owner who later moved to Virginia in the U.S. It was sold again to a person who then moved to Maine. I bought it in May 1983 while I was working in Boston. It is RH Drive and was in pretty poor condition as it had been left out in the weather in Maine for several months. Over the next two years various minor repairs were done either by myself or the Boston distributor. In 1985 my family and I moved to Hong Kong taking SRH1405 with us. During the seven years we spent in Hong Kong SRH1405 was my daily driver and was well looked after by MD Motors the Hong Kong distributor. In 1991 we returned to Sydney and afrer an extended vacation took a position in Jakarta Indonesia for two years. During this time SRH1405 was at the premises of McMillan Motors in Sydney undergoing a major body refinishing. Retired to Sydney in 1994 and then to Melbourne in 2002 where SRH1405 has a more sedate life. Mileage is currently 117000 miles.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
Thanks for the update on the engine bay cleaning.

I will be servicing my Daughter In Laws car on Saturday, & you have now got me motivated to give my engine bay a clean.

Hope I am not starting a new thread Saturday night
"help with starting a wet engine"

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 01:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,
Beautiful images of a magnificent early Shadow.
Everything looks as new, you should be proud of this one. Love that early dash.
What a story to go with it. The car has been very well travelled indeed.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 08:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is amazing stuff gentlemen.

These fine machines are a credit to you ALL. Such amazing condition.

Still, at the end of the day, it's the enthusiasm that counts. I admire the battler who does his best to keep his RR happy just as much, if not more so, than a millionaire's "garage queens".

After seeing Kelly Opfar's engine/restoration pics- I can only imagine this will likely become one of the best Shadows in the world!.

It's great that we can now put cars to names.

Happy days!.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Saturday, 23 April, 2016 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John

I think the early dashboard is the best. It's a pity the American regs required the padding that forced RR to change the design.

It's interesting you bought a RHD car in Boston knowing it would spend most of it's time in HK and Australia, both of which drive on the left. Good bit of forward planning there.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2016 - 07:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agree with you on that one Geoff.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2016 - 05:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This thread has stalled a bit.
Any more magnificent car images anyone?

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2016 - 05:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like most of the regulars here have honoured us with their pics. Except maybe Bob-uk and one or two others.

The early '65 to '69 Shadows are definitely the prettiest. Hubcaps, Chippendale dash, ankle freezers- very ornate.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2016 - 07:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry all , photo's will appear, but have been preoccupied with my son's wedding last Sunday and clearing up jobs afterwards whilst they are away !
Mark

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2016 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone,

Here is my offering, my 1979 Silver Shadow 2 SRH37131 which I have owned for seven years and during that time have completely refurbished the underside, the engine bay and the interior. The car developed a small coolant leak from the thermostat housing gasket over the winter so I have drained the coolant and removed both the housing and the header tank for new gaskets, seals and hoses. I also have one suspect fuel pump so I took the plunge and purchased a new electronic version from SU and will fit this new dual pump within the next week or so. Looking forward to getting it back on the road for the summer, when it eventually arrives!

Kind regards,

Chris

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris

Wow - it's almost to the standard of your Cloud. Beautiful car.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 591
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 03:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Chris,
What a lovely car indeed.
I know everyone has gone on about the series 1 Shadows, but I much prefer the look of the Shadow II cars.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 04:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have owned the Shadow for 18 years, 11 of them as my daily driver. The S1 is a regularly used , renovated when necessary example. The Bentley 8 is my wife's car of 11 years and the blue Bentley Mulsanne is my current daily driver.

S1

Shadow

Mulsanne

Bentley8

Shad int

Shadow engine

S1 interior

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 06:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Beautiful looking Shadow II Chris.
Fantastic interior, and a very powerful stance image there, great photo.

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 06:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Geoff and Omar for your kind words. It is great that we all take such pride in our cars and are so keen to preserve them in the best possible condition. There are some beautiful cars in this thread. Well done to all.
Kind regards,
Chris

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 06:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great series of images of fantastic cars Mark.
Love the S1 mate.
Thanks for sharing.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 06:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just love that bench seat in the S1. It so epitomizes cars that pre-date the "modern" era.

Great cars Mark.

We all have our favourites but for me personally, it has to be the S1/Cloud.

Geoff

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 04:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Patrick. Our messages were posted at the same time so I missed your comment.

Kind regards,

Chris

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 07:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Chris,
Great thread and great cars.
Hope we can still see some more posted.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 07:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hope we can still see some more posted.

We've had none from the Emerald Isle (hint hint.)

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 08:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi if I had a nice red haired secretary that could resize photos along with all the other little jobs that I could think up for her to do I would get her to post some (I will try when I get back from Spain in a couple of weeks)

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 08:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
If you do find the red haired secretary you describe, could we please see a pic of her at the wheel of your car?

Jeff Young
Prolific User

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 09:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm afraid my T2 is awaiting a new owner (I traded it in on an Arnage).

Worse, the only picture I could find of him is from a club event, and there's a whole bunch of other riffraff in the foreground. Still, he looks rather elegant back there, doesn't he?

Cheers,
Jeff.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 09:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fully agree Jeff.
It's the only car with grace, style & class in that line up.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 09:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi my silver shadow SRH19529 can be seen on the link(www.hiremyrolls.com) hope that works.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 493
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again you can also see SHR 19529 at (www.silvershadowhire.co.uk

Richard.
ps. I am trying.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard

Consider your job done. Yet another immaculate Rolls Royce.

Patrick

Re: Fully agree Jeff.
It's the only car with grace, style & class in that line up.

I remember stopping at a rest area just outside Las Vegas a couple of years ago, when six supercars pulled up. These cars belonged to a local company that hired them out to tourists, so they could experience driving them. The thing is, as I walked back to the cars I realised the Rolls held it's own in this lineup of automotive exotica. But then, maybe I was biased.

Have to say I like the DB6 at the front of the photo.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 05:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,
I was reading elsewhere on this forum regarding how the Shadows still turn heads.
It's quite amazing, I even have people just stop next to me at lights and say "cool car" or how old etc.
young or old, they all have something positive to say.

I try to get them to see that it's a 43 year old car in pretty good shape that just happens to be a Rolls Royce.
Some don't even know what it is when they pull along side, they just know they like it and it's cool in their eyes.
That always makes me smile.

But as you say Geoff.
The Shadow does hold its own big time even in a crowd of late model exotica, and that makes me smile as well.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 06:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you google 1980 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit images you will see MMG561W in front of Sir William McAlpine's house in Henley upon Thames when in his ownership. Her life with us is a little different but she is used most days and no less loved. I will post a more recent picture soon.
Regards, Nigel.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 07:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

The Shadow certainly does have road presence. I too find there is a lot of interest, particularly when filling up at petrol stations.

I had an interesting experience a couple of years ago when I was on the inside lane of a 3 lane road, driving at the speed limit "and a bit". The road was empty other than for a BMW just behind, but in the outside lane. After a few miles I slowed down slightly and the BMW did the same. Eventually our paths separated, but it did occur to me that he may have been videoing the car. I say this as on another occasion the car was definitely video'd as I entered a petrol forecourt, by someone filling his car. My son found it quite amusing. I think it may just be that these cars are getting rarer now and also the fact that everyone carries a video camera around with them (i.e. their phone)

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 07:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel - Sir William McAlpine - the man who saved the Flying Scotsman.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 07:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quite right Geoff.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, 07 May, 2016 - 06:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen, as the OP of this thread I'd like to say that I'm in awe of the quality of our machines.

Thanks very much for your time. Happy motoring.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, 07 May, 2016 - 06:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great thread Nic.
Thanks for giving us a great look around everyone's garage.

No more car pics guys?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 694
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 03:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
Looking at the photo of your Shadow, I have noticed that the plate on your hydraulic oil reservoir is missing. Is that because you are waiting to fit it, or is it because it is missing? If it is missing let me know, I may have a spare that I can put in the post for you. It may take me a week or so to find the bugger in the garage - but if I have it its yours.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 07:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,
Good pick up mate.
To be honest, I have been looking since day one of owning the car to find one.
I actually gave up after searching the net and asking many contacts.
That would be fantastic Omar.
Please let me know the cost of the plate and postage.
Thanks for this, this will be great for my car before the club concours coming up soon.

ross kowalski
New User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 22 June, 2016 - 01:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 70 rolls with a roof rack.

with roof rack

roof rack 2

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, 22 June, 2016 - 07:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice looking Shadow Ross.
The front lights are cool.
Any interior shots?

ross kowalski
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 23 June, 2016 - 02:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The woodwork needs to be refinished but the leather and everything else is OK. I'll put up a pic when I finish the woodwork.

shane alward
Experienced User
Username: the_gambler

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, 11 October, 2016 - 05:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought I'd post a few pics now the car is finally on the road thanks to all the help from the guys on here:

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 695
Posted on Tuesday, 11 October, 2016 - 08:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks great! "On the road" is the best possible status!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, 11 October, 2016 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Randy Shane.
Great looking Shadow.
Congrats on getting her on the road and keeping her from the scrap heap.

Alan Ford
Experienced User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 01:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys a few quick photo's of my Bentley while she sits in the shed. I purchased this car only a few weeks ago. Looks like the car has been in Japan at one stage of its life.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 569
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 07:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice looking car Alan,
Really like the colour.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 08:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, thanks mate I bought the car sight unseen apart from photo's and then had the car delivered to my home. I can tell you I am not disappointed. The car was part of a deceased estate but the family doesn't want their name known.
I would love to know for personal satisfaction.

Ben Curtis
Experienced User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 09:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do I see a T1 shooting brake lurking in one photo? That's super cool.

I definately see a Citroen C6 which is also super cool.

My Shadow is vermillion with chocolate brown leather, I'll get a pic.

David Gore

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 06:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben,

Your eyes did not deceive you - it is a Shadow I estate car SRH4032 owned by one of the occasional contributors to this Forum. It was modified by Panelcraft in the UK.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 575
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 07:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

If you get the original build records from the RREC in the UK, this will tell you who originally ordered the car & from what dealer it was purchased.

Also if you are a member of a RROC branch in Australia, Gilbert Ralph the magnificent historian may even have service records for this vehicle from defunct dealerships.

I have a massive amount of info regarding SRH12255 and Gilbert provided most.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 08:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Patrick, I have yet to join the RROC but it has been on my mind to do so.
I will get onto it.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 872
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 02:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

lovely car Shane.
Did you fit the Mercedes door mirror yourself or did you buy the car like that?

Michael Carr
Yet to post message
Username: carsie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 04:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH39723

Greeting from across the pond; hope you don't mind me gate crashing your Aus forum ;)

Bought her last year and haven't done anything to her except wash her and grin like a Cheshire cat.

The staggering workmanship and tools that Kelly produces just makes me go weak at the knees lol!

The coming twelve months won't be so kind as this year on the wallet as I noticed that a couple of brake pipes are flaky and stopping a few tons of RR metal with no brakes is not my idea of fun. I'm going to follow the advice that someone posted on here (apologies I've forgotten your name) re. rat trap under the rear seat- seems eminently, do-able and sensible for a whole vehicle re-pipe.

The lower front wings need attention as does one rear arch; we shall she how much lower the pound can fall following Brexit to determine if that allows a full or partial re-spray (joke)

Thank you for allowing to browse - I do have another project on the go which you might like as well?

https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?t=996502

Final Rolls note - this is one beautiful car! isn't it? Thnx for sharing pics Guys.

Best

Carsie

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 873
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 06:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Michael,
welcome to the group.
Your car is truly magnificent. It is beautiful in every way. I think the Shadow IIs are amongst the most beautiful cars ever made. Yours is a fine example.
Omar

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 07:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael

Welcome to the group. Your car looks great. I like the gold mascot.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 650
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 08:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael Welcome!!! your car looks great.

Richard.

David Gore

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Wednesday, 19 October, 2016 - 09:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Michael,

We Australian's welcome everyone no matter where they are in the world however you can expect some occasional friendly "stirring the pot" which we reserve for our NZ and UK cousins when appropriate.

I have had a look at your link on the Jaguar conversion and will watch your progress with great interest. It will be interesting to see the outcome of "what might have been" if Jaguar had followed your line of thinking.

You will find our members are always prepared to contribute on any problems and/or any requests for advice regardless of whether it is a Rolls-Royce/Bentley or other make if they have the relevant experience and/or knowledge.

We are a world-wide self-help community of enthusiasts/custodians for other makes as well as Rolls-Royce and Bentley.

David

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2016 - 06:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Michael Carr to the madness that is RR/B custodianship.

Rusty brake pipes are par for the course on any old car, and RR/B is no exception, rust is no respecter of class.

rather than continually buying ready made pipes its easier and cheaper in the long run to buy a brake pipe flaring tool and kunifer cunifer ---copper nickel iron--- pipe which costs approx Ł12 for 25 feet. Plus say 30pence for tube each tube nut.
So rusty brake pipes are cheap to fix and I have done a few on my car SRH 17768. The rest are in good nick and covered in grease as is the underside of the car.

Nice car but I dont like the gold lady because it clashes with the body colour. However its your car not mine and the choice is yours.

My car is a Chrome bumper car and is black. I have fitted the fog lamps below the bumper to give it that clean uncluttered look. The rear fog lamp is a red LED bulb in the drivers side reverse lamp so I dont have a pendant red lamp below the bumper thus less clutter. I am also going to fit black number plates. The rule is register as over 40 years old historic vehicle first then change to black plates and free road fund tax. Also no stickers on the car anywhere.
My car is 99% as Crewe intended.

Single coach line above waist trim

Let the shape shout not the triva.

you will have to wait until 2019 before free tax etc.

Tuning up engines for more power on cars that are already fast to me is a waste of resources.
If I want to go faster I merely press the go pedal a bit more. Too much go pedal means dangerous driving and speeding and collar felt by the fuzz. So I dont use all the power so any more is pointless. The best gains are to be had by making sure the engine is responsive at low rpm. The engine is quite good on mpg at 12-13mpg my Jeep does 12mpg so 12 mpg and 2.3 tons isnt bad.

Any problems just ask and we will explain as deep as you like on whats what.

lastly a tip about making brake pipes make them slightly longer because its easy to lose an inch in the bends.

shane alward
Experienced User
Username: the_gambler

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2016 - 06:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi omar that was the mirror that was on her thanks for pointing out. I wasn't aware it was not correct .shane

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2016 - 02:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Michael,
I have the same front spoiler and fog light arrangement as you for my (unassembled) '76 rubber bumper car and I vacillate between putting the spoiler on or leaving it off. I think yours looks especially sharp and at least for today, I am leaning towards putting it on.

As far as making new brake lines, don't scrimp and buy one of the flaring toys from the auto parts store. Get a nice hydraulic tool like this one from Eastwood:
brake flaring tool

I fought with several different flaring toys for years before I knew there was something better. Hydraulic crimpers are a joy to use and make perfect crimps.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 598
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 09:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome to the forum Michael.
I'm not usually a SSII fan, but that is a magnificent looking car.
Congratulations on your new ride.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 05:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome to the club, Michael. Very nice ride by the way.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive gents!.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 603
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for starting it Nick.
It's great how people just keep adding to it.

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 08:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great pic Michael.

I'm not usually a fan of the gold Spirit of Ecstasy ornaments, but it works really well on your color scheme with the dark roof.

Michael Carr
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2016 - 05:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good evening Gents,

Thank you for the kind and warm welcome to the "madness of RR/B Custodianship" and to be called by my Christian name as well- swoon! lol!

Since days long ago, at my, all-boys grammar school, my nickname has been Carsie or in Scottish terms - "toilet"

The Masters all called me Carsie and to this day it has stuck as an affectionate nickname, thus you may see me on several forums, mainly Jag related throwing in my two halfpenny worth to add value or just something for the sheer craic.

When someone calls me “Michael!” I instantly sit bolt upright and can hear my mother’s stern voice in my head – what do the NLP people call it? – a negative anchor? :D; to everyone else I’m Mike.

So guys, I thank you for your respectful and kind introductions, please feel free to call me as you wish.

To RR matters..

Early last year I pulled into the home of a lovely gentleman who is more of a petrol head than I am and that is quite saying something.

He owns a Silver Spirit, an E type, a Mk7, Alvis TD21, XK140, Armstrong Siddeley and so on – you get the drift.

The Gentleman, Ted, was parking my Shadow and in true Carsie fashion I opened by big mouth by saying that this was one car that I would swop my Jag for- Oh how my wife, Carol, laughed and laughed when I told her the news…..not!

Well it turned out it was quite funny really because, obviously, she knows what a car nut I am but this time she put her foot down. “Mike! I am not going out in that! and that’s final” – Ummmm.. now that was a surprise but there again neither of us are flashy people ( no- you are right Robert and Jeff – I’m not too keen on the gold mascot either- the car speaks for itself)
Fast forward a couple of weeks after the car had been parked outside the house

“Mike?"

“Yes dear?”

“I was just thinking...maybe we could pop across to see Susan (some 15mls away) then maybe afterwards we could pop into Waitrose,(shopping) swing by and grab a coffee in Cambridge ?.....you could take the Rolls if you like”………... :D

Someone asked how did you get into Rolls?

Well as a young lad I was very fortunate in that my late father was a GP and he had a black MK10 Jag.

Our neighbour’s were also comfortable and so I was surrounded by what they drove and of course my Saturday car wash round attended to them- Alvis, Aston, Jensen Interceptor, Armstrong Siddeley, numerous Jags , a Mk6 and a S3(?) that lived on the seafront with diplomatic plates on it and one of my all-time favorites, a beautiful S1 Bentley that belonged to Lady McGregor of McGregor’s hatch cover fame.

Lady McGregor’s chauffeur used to take her to the bank every Friday, majestically opening the door to 747MVK.

I think the seed was sown a very long time ago.

Another story for another time - I used to call into Rossleighs, the RR and Jaguar dealer in Newcastle on Tyne on my way back from school (age 13yrs old); they were so used to seeing me there, they used to tell me what they had in and took me round to show me what was in the body shop or workshop.

Remind me to tell you about the Continental they were rebuilding with Dutch coachwork in light blue (another time).

As you can probably guess – I like my Rolls…actually rather a lot.

Last couple of notes – Ross – really like you make the old girl work for a living – I like that! :-)

Kelly- thank you for the advice on the brake tool – my thinking is like yours I guess that if I do the relatively easy stuff, I save on labour rates and therefore I can afford the correct tools for the job! Win-win :D

Vlad(?) Omar(?) - Who has the 420G? - must catch up - big love for those beasts!

Must fly

Have a good week Gents

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2016 - 05:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mike,
Vlad is the MK X / 420G man and I am the Mk IX man. These big jags are really beautiful in every respect.
Petrol heads are most welcome on this forum.
Perhaps you may wish to join us when we meet in the UK in Sept 2017.

Omar

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2016 - 05:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aaah! I am quite fond of the Alvis. I ran across a Daimler with the Wilson transmission recently and felt lust developing in my heart for it also!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 894
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2016 - 05:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Alan,
The colour code for my Wraith II is 9510182 Nottingham Mist Green.
Thanks
Omar

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2016 - 07:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Omar, what a beautiful colour that is :-) Thankyou for the information in it.
With luck my car might be ready to come home today. I am awaiting a phone call now. If by chance the car is not ready today it wont bother me. I am just glad to get the calipers kitted, lines replaced etc. and know my car is safe.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 922
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let's get Nick's thread up and running again.

I made a suggestion through the suggestion box that maybe we can do new shots of our cars in some of our favourite locations.
No old pics, but new ones while we are out and with our cars.

I will get this started.

This is Hungry Jacks near Sydney airport where my wife & I were today.

David Gore

Post Number: 2382
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 07:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hungry Jacks after your Peninsular Hotel experience??????

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As promised a few shots of BNG-15389.
I don't think my photography shows Kelly's work as it deserves. Suffice to say it is a true work of art, thanks again Kelly.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 02:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
Yes mate, that's all I can afford now

Alan,
That's fantastic, looks awesome.

A little tip:
Taking from the back seat is better, (like you have done)
But turn the car around so there is no sun on the dash as all. The bright and the dark on the dash will play havoc with the camera.
Make the focal point the steering wheel and away you go.
Maybe even remove the headrest so you can get a drivers eye view.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 02:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good advice Patrick, I will be taking some more photo's soon :-)

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 07:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's January, which means cruise season here in Adelaide.

The crowd I hang out with are mostly modified turbo Japanese cars and Australian muscle, so the old Shadow garnered lots of curiosity.

The best comment was a guy in his mid 30's saying how he always wanted a 'classic Rolls', but didn't think he could afford it.
He drove a 2 year old Lotus Exige with a 2012 BMW daily driver.

Some pics some local photographers have snapped.

Cruise1

cruise2

cruise3

cruise4

cruise5

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 931
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 07:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW Jeff!!

Those are the pics we have been waiting for

Thanks so much for sharing these great images of your fantastic Shadow.

What sort of comments were you getting from the modified Japanese & muscle car guys mate?

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 07:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick.
I thought I'd post them up since they're better than anything I'd snap with my phone and lack of skills.

The Japanese tuner crowd see it as a novelty, not realizing many of them have more money in their tuner parts than my whole car. They're mostly uninterested in the engine, but rather amazed by the interior, especially the materials and build quality. We always have a chuckle when I tell them it's a 6.75L V8 that makes 'only' 200hp. Lots of positive comments about little details like the rear seat vanity mirrors (and lamps), the organ pull knobs and dash eyeball vents etc.
I make sure to leave the windows down and invite people to hop in a poke around. After all, it is just a car and who knows, more interest drives values up!

The old school muscle guys are generally older in age, and probably remember when the Shadows were new cars, then crappy used cars, and find it interesting that they are now 'classic'. The old school hot rodders are curious about the engine and are always quick to point out off-the-shelf parts. SU carbs, GM Harrison A/c compressor, Saginaw power steering pump etc.
You can see their minds ticking when they look around the inside, always looking for inspiration for custom touches in their next projects.

I seem to see a lot of Chrysler 300C's lately sporting RR/B style grills and huge chrome wheels; usually driven by gangster wannabe types with the seat reclined all the way back. I guess they are cheap enough to fall into those hands now, (not knowing that they could just get an actual RR/B) and I sometimes try to park next to them just for kicks. Maybe I just like to stir the pot.

"Those new Bentley's sure look nice!"
300c

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 08:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some lovely cars guys. After all these years I still love looking at these cars. In fact possibly more than ever!

Spotted one car that I used to work on. Roger Routledge's Shadow. It was in lovely condition back in the late 90's and it looks as though it's stood the test of time incredibly well.

Keep up the great work guys :D

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 09:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What surprises me, and maybe it shouldn't, is the Silver Shadow still holds it's own when parked alongside more exotic kit. Jeff's photo, above, is an example of this.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,
Great write up mate.
I take both of my cars to Coffee & Cars once a month. You are right, its best to get people into the car for a sit and many selfies.

People just love getting their bums onto a Rolls Royce seat.

Next meeting I will get some pics of the cars I park next to.

Paul,
I have been excited about looking at Rolls Royce Motor Cars as long as I can remember.
That feeling has never changed I just love getting in them and under them more these days

Geoff,
I was parked next to a new Lamborghini Gallardo at a local Italian soccer club that have their monthly "machines & macchiato's" of course the Shadow was the only British car in site.
We had Ferrari's, Lambo's, Maserati's, Lancia's, Fiat's the list goes on, but none were more than a couple of years old.

The Shadow got 10 x more pictures and selfies than the Lambo, but came second to the 458 Ferrari.
What the young italains liked was the space and room compared to their late model sports cars.
It was a fun day.

They certainly do hold their own.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 942
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 08:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff
Reading your story about the Chrysler with the Bentley grille, it reminded me of a mate in the U.K. (Shrewsbury) who when he got married hired a Baby Bentley.
He paid a huge amount for it, and was told the "Bentley this" the "Bentley that" and he was fully under the impression it was a Bentley.
I didn't have the heart to tell him it wasn't, as he just loved the car. I guess that is the most important thing is that he was happy, but I do think he could have hired a real one for the money he paid.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 08:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Moderator . . . . HELP!!

Somebody has hurt my eyes :-( :-( :-(

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 943
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 08:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hear you Paul!!

But you're in the UK, surely you have seen them?

I can't find any images on the net, but he even had images of the dash & steering wheel, that also had Bentley logos on them.

There are plenty of Baby Bentley hire web sites, I just didn't want to pick one to put up,here.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 09:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick . . . yes I've seen them. One of my clients has one to go with his Shadow and fleet of other unusual wedding cars. Knight Rider. A-Team wagon. . . and lots of others.

The B badge kit is cheap. Looks and price. :-)

But . . .. it's one thing going looking for disgusting images . . . another finding them stuck in your face where you think you're safe from them! LOL

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Baby Bentley"?!
Wow, I didn't think anyone would actually go that far. IMO some of the modified 300C's actually look kinda neat in their own toy-car way.

It's one thing to build a homage, it's another to badge it like the real thing.
Makes me think of all the Fiero "Ferrari" kit cars.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 944
Posted on Tuesday, 24 January, 2017 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Paul
Avert your eyes mate.
I should have said this post was "R" rated.

Jeff,
I agree. Did you see the images of my brothers one I posted a few weeks ago?

Great looking car.

But to charge for it as being genuine is a crime I think.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2017 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few more shots of NBG-15389 aka 'Benny'. I am crap at photography but I think some of these are halfway close.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 946
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2017 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Benny looks magnificent!

How good is that wheel!

Top marks to Kelly, a true genius.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2017 - 01:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, that wheel and boss is superb, Kelly is a fine craftsman. The whole thing went together easily and quickly.

On another note, Phil did an awesome job of servicing and tuning the engine. It came from the dealer with a large flat spot in the carby and tyres which were the incorrect loading for the heavy car. I still need to get the A/C looked at but I have spent enough for a while lol.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2017 - 01:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm glad you are happy with Benny now Alan.

If he goes half as good as he looks, you will have an awesome car.

Mark Luft
New User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 - 01:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,
Benny looks the bomb! And your steering wheel, wow that's great. I really wish I could do that to my B. Your pictures are wonderful. Enjoy your ride.
Mark

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 - 03:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Alan,
That EXH light makes me think your car has come from Japan.
I know that all the Dubai cars that have that feature all come from Japan.
Omar

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 - 08:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mark, thanks mate, that wheel setup is something very special eh :-) I keep saying this but all credit to Kelly Opfar.

Dear Omar, Yes you are quite correct in noticing NBG-15389 was made for the Japanese market. The engine bay in particular show all Japanese stickers.

I purchased the car sight unseen from a dealer in Sydney. Sadly the car came with no service history which I believe is very common with cars form Japan.

Luckily the car has no rust (I got lucky there).
However I did have the car thoroughly checked by Phil and naturally he found a number of things which needed attention (in essence I am starting the cars service history from now. The next thing I have to do is get the A/C checked over, I hope its just a lack of gas and not the whole unit gone. The Bentley is good to go now until the next service in about 12 months time.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 - 04:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Alan, I'm pleased the hub installed easily and I'm glad you like it. I think we achieved the goal of looking as if it came stock that way.
BTW, I love the green inside and out. If I were to start over, I would search for a car with that color combo.

Much thanks goes to Omar as well for the original hub pics. Seeing his hub and providing the needed dimensions was just what we needed to get started.
Kelly

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 - 04:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly, yes I agree many thanks to Omar, the forum is damn lucky to have you guys along with many others who freely offer help.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 02:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

The Kelly wheel mount looks great. (As does the car of course)

Hope you are relishing every minute of it.

BTW, what's that thing to the right of the ignition switch?

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 503
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 07:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's my addition to the "Photos of Our Cars" thread. This is the year I will be moving myself, my business, and collection to Montana and now that the Silver Dawn is up and running, this is the next target to get rolling again. 1933 Phantom II Continental, Special Sportsman's Saloon, Freestone and Webb, 126PY. One of three built. One destroyed in WWII blitz bombing. Two remaining. Imposing, but impractical as a daily driver.

1933 PII 126PY

1933 RR PII 126PY

1933 R-R PII 126PY

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

fabulous Christian...........

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 01:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

Is this yellow/black example yours, or is it the other survivor? I wonder because that beauty sure doesn't look like it needs much to get rolling. That thing is fantastic!
--
Cheers,
John

Jean-christophe Jost
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 03:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Art on wheels..

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 04:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, I am not exactly sure what you are looking at but is it the plastic box stuck on the lower half of the dashboard? If so it was an aftermarket turbo timer, Phil didn't like it and removed it for me and it was then when he saw the wiring mess under the dash. The wiring is back to what it should be. I have yet to clean the interior and remove the traces of glue.

If that's not it please let me know.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 04:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian, what a magnificent car. I love the shape and the color scheme. Beautiful styling.

It looks like it came straight from a movie scene.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 05:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian

Fabulous car. Have you any more pics of the interior and engine bay.

Geoff

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

I looked on google and it looks like it's supposed to be there. It's the vertical item to the right of the ignition switch with a series of grooves arranged up and down it's length.

Christian,

I second Geoff's idea of some engine pics.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 04:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross. The vertical ribbed shaped thing appear to be a filler for the dashboard end? I thought it most unusual for RR and Bentley to use what appears to be a hard plastic.
Here are a couple of photo's I just took.

There is no plastic bit on the passengers side of the dash. Strange or normal guys?

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 07:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents, as the starter of this thread I have to say that it's gone beyond my imagination!- these cars are a credit to you all.

My only regret was placing it here instead of the "General Discussions" section, where ALL RR/Bentley owners could contribute. Therefore, I've started one there and invite everyone to participate.

Pat Ryan came up with a great idea in the "Suggestion Box"- recent shots of our cars and something fun/cool about ourselves- us in person, favourite place, funny, serious, before and after renovations- whatever floats your boat.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 977
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 08:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian
What a masterpiece.
You ought to be so proud.

A truely beautiful machine.

Yes please more images.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 505
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 06:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Per request, here are a few more photos of the Phantom II. Getting it recommissioned won't be all that tedious, just have to find the time to do it...mostly oil into the rocker area, cylinders, crank over without one set of sparkplugs to get things oiled up, add fresh gas, top up antifreeze, oh, replace the battery, and fire it up. By the way, its mate (the red one, below) is at the ritzy Blackhawk Collection of Danville, California.

126PY Front

126PY Dash

126PY engine

126PY Engine2

126 PY Rear Seat

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 989
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 06:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

With each car you post they get more magnificent.

My new favourite car is the red phantom! Totally fantastic

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 06:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Christian,
Your cars are amazing mate.
Omar

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2017 - 06:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The seat less interior of the Shadow 1 gives a seldom seen view.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2017 - 08:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A very interesting view there Patrick.

I see you are missing the rubber top for your dipper switch.

I seem to remember a spare one I had laying around.

Not sure if your later model than mine had them fitted though???

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2017 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HI Patrick, the rubber has not been on the car since I bought it, going by the handbook pix it looks as though it should.
The failings of the car can be spotted with a good pix!
43 years and it looks as though the trim glue can let go.

The other trim that has let go is in front of my eyes to the right of the steering column, never noticed till a good look at the pix.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 07:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick,

All the trim under the dash on the drivers side was hanging down like my worn out undies with a bad case of bag sag!

The rest seems to be Ok, so far.

This is a good chance to get everything ship shape mate.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 09:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a teaser for you guys, a photo of Benny when I was doing a test fitting of the flying B. This is not the finished item but one of the test molds. The finished item will be in Gel when Ross has time.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 08:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That looks amazing Alan, looks good in white.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross did a fantastic job making this flying B from only a photo....Impressive craftmanship to say the least.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Friday, 14 April, 2017 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can't agree more Alan.
A very gifted craftsman indeed

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 02:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok Patrick, you asked for them :P
A few pics of my car.

Today I took the wife out for lunch to the Long Track Pantry, Jugiong, NSW it's only a 45 min drive one way. Anyway I completed the log sheet as per rego requirements.

I was hoping Jugiong wasn't going to be so busy as I wanted to park the car right in front and get a photo of the Pantry in the background. Being Easter this was never going to happen. I have no idea who the people are standing in front of my car but they were in no hurry to move even though they saw me with my phone camera. The food at this cafe/Pantry is always delicious, they have a way with herbs and spices. Thoroughly recommend them.

To top the session off my camera ran out of battery :-(

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 05:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like you had a great day mate.

I'm glad you enjoyed the food

Did your wife enjoy some quality time with you and Benny?

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 07:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually Patrick you hit a sore note there. My wife is not enamored at all with Benny nor any other 'special' cars I have owned. She would rather travel in her new Hyundai ActiveX. She complained getting in Benny, she complained getting out, she is only 5'2" from memory and she said the seat was uncomfortable????? I simply replied the seats do not get any better than these. I honestly wonder why I ever got married. She did enjoy the food and the couple of hours out of the house. I probably wont be taking her out much in Benny but I am sure as hell going out. :-)

Jeff Young
Grand Master

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 08:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

He he... you are not alone, Alan.

My wife prefers her Ford SMAX. Go figure.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 09:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geez Alan,
I was hoping you were going to say she loved it.

I'm sorry to hear she doesn't like driving in older cars.

Do you think this will improve, as time goes on?

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 09:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My wife is 5ft 1in and after driving my Shadow, "allowed" our Bentley main agent to sell her a 1988 Bentley 8 in 2005. She uses this (together with my Mulsanne and Landrover pickup )as her daily driver, and I fill the tank ! She is a very good assistant mechanic also. Now to clean our MG Midget she was using yesterday.
Mark

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 09:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

I'm sure you brought a lot more smiles into the world than you would have in the Kia.

I want to know what was on the phone that the couple in the photo were looking at. If you carefully examine the photograph, just behind where they are standing there IS A BENTLY.

We don't know who they are but we do know they are not car people.

Keep the pictures coming.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hear you Jeff.

I wish I had a result like that Mark.

Patrick, no mate she will never change now. She has been this way for more years than I care to remember.

Ross indeed I am sure I did turn some heads with Benny today. Although not in shot a lot of people were dining/drinking outside the Pantry and many of those were looking pointing and nodding.

A few years back my wife mentioned she liked the look of the XJ S Jag. I didn't say anything but for a few weeks I scoured the papers and 'net looking for a good one. I eventually found one that sounded superb so I said to the wife lets go look at this and if it's any good I will buy it for you. (They are not overly priced)
My wifes reply, oh no, I don't want one I just think they look nice..... Go figure :-(

Something along these lines.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like Ross said Alan, keep em coming.

Your wife may not like going for drives with you, but we do!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 04:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, here's SRH33576 immediately post getting a spring bath yesterday afternoon. The pollen is so awful here now I'm surprised that she doesn't look like she's blanketed in yellow dust even before she's dried off.

Head On

LF 3/4

LR 3/4

Rear

I need to find a new home for her, so if there's anyone in the United States interested in a 1978 Shadow II, RHD to LHD conversion, and that is not and never will be collectible among RR collectors but that's still solid and a fun driver, let me know and we'll talk.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 08:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

You tried to do a good thing for your wife mate.
XJS Drop Head, what a beautiful looking car.
Her loss there mate.

Mark,

Us blokes are so lucky to be "allowed" to do things

Ross,

Good pick up there mate.
Maybe they were examining the pics they just took of Benny?

Brain,

Wow mate.
You will be lonely without that gorgeous Shadow.
Are you planning to buy anything else?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 08:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Wife posted this today when we went out for lunch near Sydney airport.

She said "my husbands 2 most favourite things"

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents

Great to see this thread alive and kicking, and with great photos still coming in- we've just hit the magic 200 post mark!.

Thanks to all, keep up the good work.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 04:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I do not need to buy anything else, and that's rather the root of my problem. I acquired LRK37110 in early 2012 and have not had enough time to dedicate to get her back on the road after working furiously for several years in that pursuit (much of it documented on these forums).

Change of Custodian

With life as a whole being what it is I simply do not have the time necessary to give both cars the care and attention they deserve (and require). Thus, after 11 years of ownership, I would like to find a new home for SRH33576. She is far from perfect, and there are lots of little (and some big - from the cosmetics standpoint) things that will need attention. Her Everflex has begun to shrink back and has pulled itself up from beneath the front and rear window seals at their top edges and in such a way that I cannot repair it (and, where I intending to keep her, would not repair it - I'd have the Everflex stripped and the top painted as I never much cared for vinyl roofs, no matter what they're called).

Brian

Mark Luft
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 06:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, Jeff, My wife also does not like my Bentley. She says it smells funny. She liked the S2 we had several years ago, but not the Turbo R. We took it to a local winery a few weeks ago with doggie in the back seat. Everyone liked the car except momma. Oh well.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 07:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wish you all the best Brian,

I can perfectly understand a decision such as this.
And I know you would have thought about it long and hard.

The pic of your wife & yourself is a wonderful image.
Something all of us here will remember.

Not only does it show us a very lovely couple indeed, it also shows us how to load a Shadow correctly on a car trailer for that perfect balance

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 07:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

I'm fairly lucky at present, the wife likes driving in the Shadow, but hasn't been in the 25 Chev for a long time now.
Thus I may be close to selling it soon.

I have now fixed the Shadow switch box issue, but she is still a bit reluctant to drive it. She should be ok with it soon.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 08:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

That lovely lady is not my wife, but the widow of the first custodian of LRK37110. He had become ill in the last few years of his life and the car had been garaged and undriven for about 5 years or so. I had LRK37110 up and running, but with a distinct lack of power on acceleration. I thought this might be a transmission problem, but the transmission shop said no. His comment at the time was, "It feels like the timing is off by about 40 degrees!" Right now the Lucas distributor that had been in LRK37110 has been transplanted into SRH33576 to revive her from the Christmas FTP of 2013. I have a replacement Mallory distributor (Thank You Kelly Opfar) that has been prepped for installation into LRK37110 but that all went into the deep freeze about 2 years ago. I am hoping for a thaw, maybe this year.

Brian, whose partner, Jim, would be quite amused at the idea of my having a wife [or, perhaps, really unamused]

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 08:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Thank you for sharing that with us.

That job has been on going mate, we all hope the deep freeze is turned off soon.

Does Jim have a passion for cars as well?
Everyone working on these cars needs a good TA LOL

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 08:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Jim has far less interest in cars than I do in gardening!!

When absolutely necessary I will call him as an assistant, but tend to avoid it mostly because there is often no intuitive sense of "what needs to be done next" when providing direction and attending to the task at hand conflict with each other.

At least I got him to the point where he wasn't uncomfortable "being seen" in the car. Let's just say that he does not like being the center of attention.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 08:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear,

I can relate to BOTH of those big time Brian.

That's why I work alone on the cars now, it may take longer, but it is easier that's for sure

Even the simple request of a spanner, rag, hammer is like asking for their right eye LOL

Im with you on the gardening.
Lawn is my thing, but that is as far as I go.

Id rather concrete everything LOL

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We really need to tear this thread apart and remove this yip-yap about Flying B's into its own thread. Anyway, Alan, I snapped these photos of a Flying B where the wings are actually outstretched instead of laying flat against the sides. I never knew there were different versions.

Front view
- Front view of Flying B with wings outstretched

Top view of outstretched wings
- Top view of outstretched wings

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 08:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great Shots John,

Never seen that before.

Michael Carr
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, 27 April, 2017 - 02:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you look very,very,very carefully........you'll see a rather nice Silver Shadow.

Madeline Smith

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Thursday, 27 April, 2017 - 03:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like what I see Michael.....

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Thursday, 27 April, 2017 - 09:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nup, cant see it????

David Gore

Post Number: 2541
Posted on Thursday, 27 April, 2017 - 04:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Just because you are on a diet doesn't mean you cannot look at a menu................

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, 28 April, 2017 - 01:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely photo of the girls draped on the Rolls.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, 28 April, 2017 - 05:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John Beech, I agree the Flying B chit chat should be moved. It doesn't quite fit here :-)

Thanks for grabbing the photo's of that B in your post. I had no idea such Flying B existed, it's certainly new to me but then most things are when it comes to Rollers and Bentleys. If I ever see such an item I will try and buy it just to own it.

Michael Carr that is indeed a lovely Shadow, it has ultra smooth lines. The pic makes me wonder if I can attain similar smooth lines for Benny lol.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Friday, 28 April, 2017 - 07:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

I posted some similar shots in another thread,
But no one could see the cars either for some reason????

Menu's are good David

Mark Luft
Frequent User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, 29 April, 2017 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not that anyone is actually looking at the car, But I believe it is a Corniche. The two ladies in the back seem to be standing in the car. It's a wonder no one else caught it.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Saturday, 29 April, 2017 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Car?
What car Mark?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Saturday, 29 April, 2017 - 02:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yeah Patrick... What car? what is Mark on about????

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, 29 April, 2017 - 07:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
Weston park 2016

Mike

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, 30 April, 2017 - 09:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very nice Michael, is that a red label Turbo R? Excuse my ignorance I am still learning :-)

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, 01 May, 2017 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael, regarding the photo of the four ladies with the Corniche, have you got a higher rez version? Are you willing to share?

Michael Carr
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, 02 May, 2017 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

For sure..

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/389772542724696667/

The ladies are :-

Joanna Lumley, Madeline Smith, Anna Calder-Marshall, Katia Christine.

Glad you liked- t'was just a bit of fun :-)

David Gore

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Tuesday, 02 May, 2017 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carnaby Street and Swinging London at its peak in the late 60's/early 70's.

I regret to advise Joanna Lumley never replaced Diana Rigg as the target of my teenage admiration when "The Avengers" graced our TV screens not forgetting Steed's [Patrick MacNee] classic Bentley to tempt our thoughts of being a successful playboy......

David Gore

Post Number: 2548
Posted on Wednesday, 03 May, 2017 - 07:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just reminiscing about unobtainable teenage dreams resulting from watching too many episodes of "The Avengers". My apologies for the image sizes as these are all that I could download:

1. Patrick Macnee, Diana Rigg and AX201 - a classic combination:

AX201

2. Patrick Macnee and his Bentley:

Bentley 1

3. Patrick Macnee, Diana Rigg and his Bentley:

Bentley 2

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Wednesday, 03 May, 2017 - 08:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

You have spiked my interest.

The avengers??
I have not heard of this at all. The only one I know is the modern Marvel studio movies.
AX201 in a TV show? WOW.

Joanna looked great back then, a shame she plays a pi*s wreck in her more recent movies & TV shows.

David Gore

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Wednesday, 03 May, 2017 - 08:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Some more images I was able to find:

Bentley 3

Montage

The Avengers was a high rating TV series in the 1960's but suffered as it was only in Black&White - I shudder to think about what effect it would have had on me if we had today's big Ultra HD colour TV. We had to watch it on the College sole 26inch B&W TV in a packed common room each time it was telecast - the only time there was a larger audience was the 1969 moon landing when we set up the TV in the main common room with over 200 residents and friends watching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(TV_series)

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, 03 May, 2017 - 01:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael, thanks!

Patrick, The Avengers is still great television.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Wednesday, 03 May, 2017 - 03:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Gents,

I will be looking this up tonight for sure

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, 07 November, 2017 - 01:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys, I hope I am posting in the correct section here.
Benny was well overdue for a run (my venous ulcers have been playing up yet again.) 1 step forward and 2 steps back!

Last Friday a good friend and I took a trip to Bathurst for yet another mechanical caliper setup for the DJP sidecar. We made a slight detour to Carcour, NSW for a photo outside the pub.

The A/C has yet to be sorted and this trip was a good reminder of that. The heat inside the cabin on a moderate day of 28deg C was almost intolerable, windows down made the trip uncomfortable. I will see Phil Sproston re the A/C as soon as I can....

Mark Luft
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, 08 November, 2017 - 02:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good to see Benny out and about. I hope a pint cooled you guys off a bit.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Thursday, 09 November, 2017 - 07:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great to see you and Benny out enjoying the countryside Alan.

Yes they certainly are a hot car.

How is the new steering wheel performing?

Harry Heuchan
New User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 01:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought I would put up a picture of SRH31051 which I have owned for 17 years now and done nearly 100,000 Kms in, mainly driving back and forth, up and down this vast continent of Australia.
Can you notice the bespoke additions? One in particular is courtesy of the genius machinist Kelly Opfar.

Harry Heuchan
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 01:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 01:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry

Great Car and yes, I do recognize the highly bespoke additions, but will keep quiet for others to guess.

Geoff

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry, ten items, some fitted that I see as add on's from the original spec.
Some needed for the type of environment that the car is in.

Harry Heuchan
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 06:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Geoff.
Yes Patrick, the electronic Shu-roos (adjacent the number plate) are needed when I drive across the Nullarbor as the kangaroos and wombats are prolific at the moment. About two months ago I drove across and back (not in SRH31051) and there were hundreds of road kill, in some places half a dozen bodies a meter or so apart. In the more than fifty times I have driven the Nullarbor, I have never seen so many.
I have made another few additions over the years some of which I shall post below.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 07:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry, now that is a real class additions in keeping with the car.
Love the trimmed panels etc.
Have you a place for the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmannAYiwh0

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 06:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Awesome!!

Then there is part 2, or the next version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzxg66CZ68

Robert J. Sprauer
Yet to post message
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 09:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr Ryan, What is the color code or name for the blue? Is it metallic?
Thanks, Rob NY

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rob,

I am so sorry, to have not replied to your PM.

I have just come back from a months annual leave, and since back been traveling extensively with work.

Yes the paint is metallic, & the build sheet states:

Seychelles Blue. ICI.M.151-3310 with gold fine lines.

Sorry again mate.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Ryan wrote
"How is the new steering wheel performing?"

Hi mate, the steering wheel is great but it's shame I cant run the original.
The heads up display completes the job nicely.
I still need to get the A/C fixed but that's a long story. When I am able I will take the car to Phil so as he can arrange things with his A/C man.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 06:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,
You need to run what is best for you. The original was just not right for you mate.
The new wheel is a work of art, and it now ensures many years of joy for you and Benny.

Air cond is a must in these cars, I can’t say I have ever driven such a hot car.
I’d really like to strip out the head liner and install some really good insulation.
Anyone done that?

Robert J. Sprauer
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently removed and replaced the headliner in my 1980 Wraith II

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 02:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did you find any insulation up there Robert?

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 08:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One Silver Shadow from Prague - Czech Republic
:-)

Robert J. Sprauer
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes There is full insulation/sound dead'g pads. If you are having heat issues, I would suggest adding head mat shield on the inside floorpan. The exhaust with catalytic converters will definately heat the floorpan. I had a clogged converter actually burn thru a pan and singe the underlayment, carpet and overlay mat.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One great looking Shadow Stefan

felipe heuser
Experienced User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 09:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1968 SSMPW DHC

SSI

SSI

1970 SSMPW DHC

SSI

SSI

David Gore

Post Number: 2777
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 09:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe,

I like your anti-theft device for the 1970 SSMPW DHC .

Two very desirable vehicles IMHO.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 09:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 70 DHC is my dream car exactly as shown would be perfect.

2 amazing looking cars Felipe.

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 05:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks...she was my best mate but left us past April at 18...miss her

The 70 DHC is a one off I happen to stumble on internet and from a one family first delivery in Madrid hence the original number plates with only 78k kilometres and completely original with an optional working 8-track ! Took the first flight available and drove it to Valencia to board ferry to Mallorca…

No regrets !

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 06:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fantastic find Felipe,

Any chance of some good interior shots and under the bonnet?

Robert J. Sprauer
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

felipe. Do you know the colour code/name for the blue paint? Thanks, Rob

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 02:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It looks very much like my Shadow Seychelles Blue.

felipe heuser
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 - 07:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Specifications from build sheet is Midnight Blue - Masons LB239/5

Since have replaced steering wheel for more sporty smaller Nardi but original is stored.

SSI

SSI

SSI

SSI

SSI

SSI

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, 27 December, 2017 - 05:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Felipe,
A magnificent car, your interior shots are fantastic.

You’re a lucky man indeed
Thanks for posting the extra images.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 07:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A picture of a poster presented to our Car Club by the Classic Car Club of Morocco after our tour. SRH 17968 behaving impeccably, keeping us cool and comfortable in the intense African heat.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, 02 January, 2018 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely pic Patrick

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2018 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sure is.

That would look great on any wall.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, 14 April, 2019 - 03:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sad to say mine is not stylish, but age will do that to you.

car 1

car2

car3

car4

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: