Gear Selector Doing Nothing ! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Gear Selector Doing Nothing ! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Gardner
Experienced User
Username: bobg

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 24 March, 2014 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone, This evening when I tried to move the car, I had no connection at the gear selector, just moved up and down as though the car was not running, never had this happen before.

Aside from the obvious , being a fuse or something, How would I check the gear cut-off relay on the fuse panel,to see it that's the problem and / or could it be something else ?

Help greatly appreciated, need to move the car to our new home.

Thanks, Bob G.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, 24 March, 2014 - 05:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When was it moved last? What year car is it?

Use a test light to check the pins either side to ensure that there is a feed in and out.

You can usually see which terminal goes to which rivet on the fuse board and check there. (or check them all.)

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, 25 March, 2014 - 02:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert, consider looking at the actuator loom which is attached to the actuatorhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concorde-Aircraft-Rolls-Royce-Olympus-593-Jet-Engine-Electrical-Plug-/141167085408
as in picture shown, if you have no power to this here lies the problem. I had this very situation about 2 years ago , the connection at this plug lost contact hence no power. hk

Robert Gardner
Experienced User
Username: bobg

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 25 March, 2014 - 03:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks so much Hubert, I will look at that, Two quick questions, Where exactly is it located? And where could I get a new one if necessary ?

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, 25 March, 2014 - 04:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert, its under the car attcahed to the side of the gearbox to the actuator as pictured http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRONIC-SHIFTER-MOTOR-shift-solenoid-actuator-Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-1967-/140613558637 This also might be of use http://rrtechnical.info/SY/TSD4200/m/m4.pdf pages 33-36 fonund on this site.
I managed to salvage the plug, had to solder a wire and had to make a new single pin.Robert just to say this is a delicate job... as if you disconnect or dislodge more than one wire, while trying to fix one .. it may make the job complicated?. if you do require a new one
try google type in "rolls royce silver shadow actuator loom". Finally to say... I would check all the simple options first as advised by Paul, with a bit of luck it might be as simple as that.
HK