6.8 L main (crankshaft) seal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » 6.8 L main (crankshaft) seal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Experienced User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2013 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

Has anybody ever heard of after-market main seals for the 6.8 litre? I already know that I should (and will) investigate the crankcase pressure and see if the screen is clogged to reduce the oil leakage, but I'll drop the tranny and put a main seal in, if there is one to be found.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2013 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

6.8 litre?

I see you have Shadows, is that what you want the seals for?

£180 Pattern lip seal and used modified type lip seal carrier.

Or are you after one for a BMW engined car, , or . . . .

Chris Miller
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2013 - 08:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

Yes... I guess my question was brief.

1971 and 1972 Shadows.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2013 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi Chris, the 6.8 didn't make sense . . . the rest was fine :-)

6250 or 6750 (in your case .). not used to seeing them rounded up so high.

I guess you want to replace the original scroll type 'seal'with the new lip type seal.

Silly to go to that trouble otherwise.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2013 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, is a 1982 Spirit ;assumed untouched, likely to be on a scroll or lipseal? I have a noticeable oil leak which appears to come from the bell housing area.The breather is clear.
Mark

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2013 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually About £130 - seals are cheaper now :-)

1982 is a lip seal I think.

Are the sump bolts tight. Especially the ones at the rear above the subframe which are nearly impossible to do up?

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2013 - 22:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul,I will attempt to tighten the sump bolts.
Mark

Chris Miller
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2013 - 22:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is a "lip seal" available? Where can I get one (two...)?

Kelly Opfar
Experienced User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 07 July, 2013 - 03:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The rear seal upgrade requires that a later model rear seal housing be installed. Introcar has them available for $622USD. A sleeve also has to be installed over the rear of the crankshaft to fit the larger diameter of the new seal. Introcar has these sleeves for $259USD. This seal conversion may stop leaks from the rear seal area, but if the crankcase is still under pressure, it will probably just leak from the front - this still has a scroll seal. I don't believe there is a front seal conversion kit available.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Sunday, 07 July, 2013 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

A sleeve also has to be installed over the rear of the crankshaft to fit the larger diameter of the new seal.

The need for the sleeve only applies to the 6230 engines on S2, S3 and early SY cars. All 6750 motors already have the larger crankshaft end diameter to suit the improved positive sealing as opposed to the drippy scroll.

Very late injected Californian SY2 cars have the positive-type seals (often PTFE) as do all SZs. The seals, new end covers/housings and sleeves are available in Sydney at the right price at SpurParts as stock items too by the way. Note that the seal changed slightly for the 1993 Model Year cars and have a different part number. I changed the seal and housing on SBH13247 (1972 T-Series 6750cc) around 1984 and have never looked back (ie have never seen an oil drip since).

Below see the scroll housing ex my T-Series, a new seal housing with seal fitted, a new collar-sleeve for upgrading a 6230 motor, a seal for a 1993MY-onwards car (used, from my Continental R) and the coloured fitting tool required to slide the seal safely over the crankshaft end.

RT.

Chris Miller
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice. I know Albers carries these and I didn't know about IntroCar, but now I do and their offering in indistinct from Albers. My question is where do Albers and IntroCar get these parts? They don't make them and RR doesn't make them, so who does?

On a separate note, I need to clean the crankcase breather screen, but I don't know where it is... Makes this a difficult project. Can anybody explain how to find it or, better, tell me a manual page which describes the location and the procedure?

Finally, has anybody tried mounting a collector underneath? Oil drips during parking, and that is an embarrassment when I go to a friend's house, but more to the point, oil drips on the hot exhaust system and produces smoke, which, frankly, always scares the hell out of me. I don't want to battle a fire in the middle of the street!

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 05:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Chris.
If you look back through the postings around May 2012 there is one headed ATF on the garage floor David Gore answers your Question very well hope this helps

Chris Miller
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 05:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

I searched and I found it: http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/show.pl?17/14415

This post is informative.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Unfortunately the above link comes back to this thread, the correct link is below:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/12058.html

Link added by David Gore

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2884
Posted on Friday, 16 August, 2013 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

My question is where do Albers and IntroCar get these parts? They don't make them and RR doesn't make them, so who does?

Introcar makes them. Albers buys them, along with a large portion of their other stock, from Introcar. Introcar is more a trade outlet than being aretailer. Many of the best known large retailers source from Introcar but usually repackage the goods to disguise that. The Introcar parts brand is Prestige Parts.

RT.