Type Transmission? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Type Transmission? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donald Maloid
Experienced User
Username: prodmgr

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2008 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings everyone,
On a 1960 Bentley S2, what type of automatic transmission is installed? I'm looking for the part number of the filter and the pan gasket. Can anyone advise me? Thanks...

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2008 - 10:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

application/pdf
88.pdf (403.5 k)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 841
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2008 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul,

You posted your reply as I was "cleaning up" some multiple posts - fortunately you posted under the right topic heading so all is well :-)).

Donald Maloid
Experienced User
Username: prodmgr

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2008 - 10:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mr. Yorke,
That pdf file is helpful but I'm not sure what type of filter and and gasket I need to service the transmission? The American auto shops can't help because I'm not sure what part number of the transmission to use or where to find the numbers? Help!

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2008 - 16:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can I help here Donald. There is a complerte workshop manual for the Hydramatic transmission on your car in the Technical Library. http://rrtechnical info. Servicing bits required are only a pan gasket and preferably a new aluminium washer for under the head of the drain plug. Unless the pan is really filthy don't bother draining the torus. The filter #16 on Paul's diagram is very primitive and can be cleaned out!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2008 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to follow up on Bill's note on caution.

If the torus is drained, it can bring heartache. The torus drain plug is often overtightened by overzealous service shops, and strips when next removed, usually with the plug stuck in the torus cover and almost impossible to remove from its countersunk hole. Even if removed successfully, there is no spare depth to ream out the hole in the torus cover and, even with a butt reamer and butt tap, a new thread is difficult to make. The torus half inside is easily terminally damaged in the whole process. Even if re-tapped successfully, then a specially-made plug with an oversized thread is required. The torus will then probably be poorly balanced. Really, the only proper solution for a stripped torus cover plug is to remove the transmission and to have the torus cover repaired, and to have the flywheel and torus cover dynamically balanced individually and finally assembled. Leave well alone if you can.

As to the gasket, it is not a GM part as on the early R-Types, which have a transmission fully built by GM, with a steel side cover and sump. When R-R started to assemble the transmissions from the mid-series R-Types onwards in 1954, they changed the side cover and sump patterns to suit their bespoke alloy side cover and sump, along with their so-called R-R refinements inside the transmission. Best buy a gasket from Crewe.

The alloy sumps have an advantage over the steel ones. If not too bad and undamaged, the old gasket will be fine with a smear of Permatex Form-a-Gasket or equivalent silicone gasket compound. If you are stuck for a new gasket, the good-old masking tape job is fine: with the sump and transmission faces perfectly clean, apply two layers of masking tape to the transmission face with no overlaps, and trim off. Punch out the holes and presto.

Of course, the mesh filter never needs replacing, requiring just a good wash out with petrol.

RT.

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2008 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Donald, Richard states the reasons, I would not even attempt draining the taurus. If the oil is really bad just do two or three oil changes.

The filter is just a strainer really.

A word or warning about silicone etc. The faces are usually a really good fit so sealing is not usually a problem, but I have seen boxes ruined by over zealous application of sealants which end up clogging the 'brain'.

Usually a smear of grease to hold the gasket is enough.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2008 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My fourpence worth. I have always been taught never to put grease near an automatic transmission. If it is needed for adhesion such as holding a gasket particularly the large one between the torus cover and the flywheel always use vaseline. The latter is soluble in transmission fluid whereas grease is much less soluble and as Paul says a bit of grease gets into the brain box and you have a job on your hands.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2008 - 22:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few dab's of super glue to hold the gasket does the job fine.
Silicone and hylamar etc never.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: