Straight 6 overheating. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Straight 6 overheating. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JonasAndersson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.236.237.144
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2022 - 03:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all!

One easy question. In which position will the engine get more cooling? When the valves are in summer or winter position?

Many thanks for your kind answer.

SC 1958. SGE420 in Sweden.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2022 - 12:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas

Easy question - not quite so easy answer.

If you are referring to the Thermostat, there are two, Winter and Summer, winter opens at approximately 85 deg C, summer at approximately 75 deg C, this allows the engine to warm up faster in winter.

When fully open both thermostats give the same amount of coolant flow

Firstly, ensure you have the correct thermostat, with the by-pass port correctly aligned.

Regards
David
Thermostat

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2022 - 16:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a pin on the side of the main thermostat housing that ensures the by-pass port is aligned correctly.

If we are indeed talking about thermostats, the new aftermarket wax pellet types are far superior then the old bellows type. They react faster and are far more accurate, cost is the down side though.

I run the winter one all year round because once I desilted the block, re-cored the rad and cleaned the whole system, it just ran too cool.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4118
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2022 - 18:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David Hughes has sent me the following additional information for posting on his behalf:

"Hello David, re the recent post above from me regarding the SC overheating, I omitted to say to check the thermostat in a pan of hot water to see if the by-pass fully shuts when the main disc is open."

Regards
David Hughes

JonasAndersson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2022 - 15:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David!
No, its not the thermostat. Please see picture.
I am not sure that was a solution for all Clouds.
But I am pretty sure its was standard on mine.

https://intergateab-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/jonas_andersson_intergate_se/EdNDGCYsryFBh6xxTdKJzK0BTgjMKvlya_iQv8G2yweYbg

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 816
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2022 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, My 56 S1 does not have this. I run with the demister on all year, but with the air supply off in summer . Easily achieved by reversing the vacuum pipe connections on the demister switch.

David Hughes
Experienced User

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2022 - 22:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas
Thank you for the photo and the explanation - that makes things much clearer.
This system is not fitted to our Silver Cloud SED 347 so that I am not familiar with it.
My thoughts would be, with the valve in the winter position would indicate more water is flowing to the heater coils, which would give additional cooling to the water.
See the information in the workshop manual on this website.
Heater Matrix water flow

JonasAndersson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2022 - 23:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David for your answer.
I agree with your thinking, that was mu first guess also. But the piping for the matrix under the fenders is quite small so maybe it will reduce the total flow. I dont know. I will do a test with a more accurate temp gauge and switch the position, to test booth summer and winter settings.
Ill be back!

Daniel Shepherd
New User
Username: 1957_grey_cloud

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2022 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jona's

Our '57 Cloud does not have this system either.

But we've just purchased a new thermostat and got the radiator re-cored.

My next job is to get the drain tap on the block open and flush the system through.

I have no idea how I'm going to get that tap open given I can't seem to get near it!!

Best of luck with the cooling
Daniel

David Hughes
Experienced User

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2022 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daniel
In regard to the engine block drain tap, best to approach from underneath the car, undo the small nut (two turns) on the bottom of the valve, then tap upwards with a "dolly" (length of brass) and small hammer. This releases the taper to enable the tap to turn.
Good idea to flush the block before connecting the radiator.
Regards, David

Daniel Shepherd
New User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2022 - 13:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David, it makes sense to drain the block before hooking up the radiator - I'll be sure to do that.

I have terribly large hands and I really struggle sometimes to get into these tight spaces!

Best
Daniel

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2022 - 15:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I found that this wrench helps to open the petcock.
If it won't come, don't force it, the wrench is used to make it easier to grab the handle.

Daniel Shepherd
New User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2022 - 05:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will try and search this tool tray down Jeff - not sure If I still have it but I have similar wrenches lying around the place from goodness only-knows-where....

Best
Daniel

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: