Rubber Door & Body Seals needed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Rubber Door & Body Seals needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Paceskoski
Experienced User
Username: forever_elegant

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, 03 January, 2008 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone,

i guess first off happy new year to all.

i am insearch of rubber seals for my cloud 2.

can anyone let me know where i can get hold of these as i need them as soon as possible

Regards

Michael

Jeff Jones
Experienced User
Username: jeffoir

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2008 - 14:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael, firstly I'm in NZ and there is a company here www.basisnz.co.nz who stock them. Or try www.flyingspares.co.uk or also www.brabocars.com Any of these three have them. Flying Spares offer a very efficient service and parts usually arrive to NZ within about 5-6 days. Hope this helps, Jeff.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 944
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2008 - 15:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael/ I too will be in the market for door seals eventually when I get my S2 back on the road. I can't advise you on seals but certainly there are a number of suppliers. What you need to be aware of is the quality of the rubber. There have been manufactures using very dense rubber which meant slamming the doors really hard to get them to shut. This was particularly a problem with the MarkVI some years ago. Best you ask around people who have actually used a specific rubber product in the hope that you will get the right thing. Lastly be aware that the Factory produces a special self adhesive rubber moulding that sticks to the outside edge of the stainless steel window frames on all our cars after the Mark VI. These were apparently developed for the Spirit which usually has a wind noise problem. It works well. I mention these seals because they are not advertised and are very effective.

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2008 - 16:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill makes an important point here, and it is best to ask others about their experiences with specific rubber products. I have seen Clouds with such dense rubber that not only did the doors have to be slammed shut, but the owner was so frustrated that even slamming didn't always dothe trick. As to the factory-offered secondary door seals, they are excellent. I have used them on my previous Spirit and Spur, fitted them to the Silver Wraith II and will shortly do the same on the Mulsanne S. An easy and satisfying job that yields excellent results.

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, 05 January, 2008 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again.

I initially used the seals from Brabo, which were "D" shape in profile, but was getting a reasonable amount of wind noise. The noise/whistle sounded like it was coming from one of the quarterlight seals, but after various attempts of adapting the quarterlight seal with black sealant (replacement seals for the quarterlights are ridiculously expensive!), I realised the noise was coming from the door seal. I then changed them to the ones I got from Basis, which were slightly thicker and had a "U" profile, and that lessened the wind noise considerably. The doors do need a reasonable slam, but certainly not to the extend that it is troublesome.

The secondary seals sound like they are a good idea. Do they just go around the window frames, or around the whole door?

Thanks and regards,
Jeff

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 945
Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2008 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff The secondry seals sit on top of the stainless steel frames and do not extend to any part of the main door carcase. Richard Treacy I am almost sure put pics of them from his car in the forum which you can search. The quarterlight seals it seems have to be virtually hand made hence the cost. If you look carefully at them they are very intricate. I image that is why they were not used on later cars. The one cure that seems to work is a good dose of black sealant neatly applied and say good bye to them.

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2008 - 16:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that Bill. I found the thread regarding secondary door seals, sounds like they are well regarded. I will put them on the shopping list. Thanks also for your Tee-One Topics which I love reading- keep up the good work!
Regards,
Jeff

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Monday, 07 January, 2008 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You may see the thread on

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/1325.html

Michael Paceskoski
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2008 - 22:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks guys, the replies have been magnificent.

i have looked at a couple of rubbers at clark rubber as well, which sell the same stuff as basis.

i was wondering if anyone has used the flying spares rubber seals. there price seems very reasonable as im after seals for the overriders, number plate, boot handle rear light, etc...

all up should cost me $1000 + shipping.

so any feedback on flying spares rubber will be great.

if not ill just go for the rubber from clark rubber.

Also has anyone got any rubers from a mob in the states called replacement parts inc. i have sent them an email so hopefully they reply but they state that

"We have been a supplier to the Rolls-Royce & Bentley Motor Car Factory in Crewe England by contract since 1981 on many rubber seals and we are selected as a rare "Quality self assured supplier" (they are accepted at the factory without inspection due to their quality). "

Cheers Guys

Michael

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, 17 January, 2008 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael,

We use Flying Spares a lot, they are extremely good to deal with. You can email Duncan the parts man on Duncan@flyingspares.co.uk he will reply very promptly.

We have used their seals. The reversing light seal is genuine RR. We've put new ones on both our Clouds and they are great. The other two seals you mentioned are 'Pattern' seals made up to match the original. I'm not sure if they do this because they are no longer available, however we have used these also and found them to be great and match the profiles in every way.

We got door seals from Brabo and also Basis. I tried the Brabo seals and there was a reasonable amount of road and wind noise. We took them off and replaced them with the Basis seals (from memory they have them listed under Bentley - not RR) and all the noise vanished. They also took care of the whistling that we thought was coming from the quarter light seals but in the end was whistling between the door frame and window frames. Very reasonably priced too.

Incidentally we just received a quote from flying spares for the secondary door seals. GBP 40.00 per door. Ouch.

Hope this helps.

Rodney Peach
Experienced User
Username: rodney

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, 17 January, 2008 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Michael,

Have you tried Replacements Parts Inc ,in Villa Rica Georgia, They do Rolls and Bentley seals and weathstripping tel 770-459-0040 .they are on e-bay too as replacementpartsinc.
Hope this is a help to you
Regards
Rodney

Michael Paceskoski
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 17 January, 2008 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi Jeff and Rodney,

thanks for your replies.

Replacement parts inc contacted me today and said that they will have a kit for me ready to buy very soon, but i want some feedback from any one that has used there rubbers and how good they are.

its now between flying spares and replacement parts inc on where i get my rubbers from.

so if there is anyone out there with rubbers from replacement parts inc let me know asap on your experiences.

Cheers

Michael

Rodney Peach
Experienced User
Username: rodney

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, 17 January, 2008 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi michael,
I buy nearly all my Rolls royce parts from flying spares ,I have never bought from replacement parts inc ,I have seen their packages of seals etc but never had to buy from them.
Have you spoken to Duncan at flying spares? They are good to deal with and normally good products .

Regards
Rodney

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, 17 January, 2008 - 22:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now you lot talk about adhesives please!!!!

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, 17 January, 2008 - 22:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How about asking about the 3 part adhesive kit that's used on the Shadow boot seals?

If it will stick them, it will stick anything!

It's a little more involved than normal impact adhesives but worth the extra work.

If you do use it, mix up small quantities and glue small lengths as you go. Especially in hot weather! More of a problem in NSW than Old South Wales!

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 31 January, 2008 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used Ados contact adhesive, which seems to be working well. In a few areas there has been some seperation, and this seem to be where the old adhesive wasn't completely removed. So my advice would be to get some cement solvent (Ados produces this as well) and make sure all the old adhesive is removed (without also removing your paint!)

Ray Zeffert
Yet to post message
Username: rayzef

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 19 March, 2008 - 15:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have used Replacement Parts for all my Cloud rubber replacement and the window runners and have not had any problems and they were installed 3 years ago. I also used Flying Spares for my engine rebuild about $35000 all up, customs were very happy but it was still cheaper than buying in Oz!!
Ray Z

Jeff Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, 03 October, 2010 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

How did the door seal replacements go, Michael? I'm almost up to the stage of replacing the seals for a S1 I'm restoring, so have been revisiting what is available.

I see the Replacement Parts product is preshaped and mostly preglued, which sounds good. Also the statement saying that they supplied/supply rubber products to the Bentley factory must be a good thing. I've also heard somewhere that Flying Spares have changed their seals to a new, softer rubber (haven't confirmed that yet). The Brabo seals have an adhesive backing- so a bonus for that product. Any feedback from anyone that have used the various products?

I've put secondary seals on my Cloud 1 and Cloud 2, which are working well. The only issue was that the clearance/gap was too small for the seals in a few areas, so I had to remove them in these areas to enable the doors to close.

Regards,
Jeff

TommasoLeonettidiSantojanni
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.1.81.49
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2022 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good afternoon, Mr Coburn,

Apologies for reviving a very old thread but I am told that Bill Coburn "is the man", as our American friends would say, on the Australian Forum.

I own a 1963 SCIII with tremendous air infiltration. The dealer replaced all seals using the ones supplied by Flying Spares; this did not solve the problem but added a new one, now the doors require to be slammed, heftily, to be closed

Can you point me in the right direction as to how to obtain the seals that you mention in your post of Saturday, 05 January, 2008 - 15:33

--------------------------
Michael/ I too will be in the market for door seals eventually when I get my S2 back on the road. I can't advise you on seals but certainly there are a number of suppliers. What you need to be aware of is the quality of the rubber. There have been manufactures using very dense rubber which meant slamming the doors really hard to get them to shut. This was particularly a problem with the MarkVI some years ago. Best you ask around people who have actually used a specific rubber product in the hope that you will get the right thing. Lastly be aware that the Factory produces a special self adhesive rubber moulding that sticks to the outside edge of the stainless steel window frames on all our cars after the Mark VI. These were apparently developed for the Spirit which usually has a wind noise problem. It works well. I mention these seals because they are not advertised and are very effective.
------------------------

I would very much appreciate your help! Smiles from England!

Tommaso Santojanni

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4124
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2022 - 11:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Tommaso,

I regret to advise Bill Coburn has retired and is no longer an active forum participant. Hopefully, one of our other members may be able to assist you with specific advice.

With regard to your comment regarding difficulties in closing the car doors after fitting new seals, this is a consequence of the seals doing their intended function of sealing the vehicle interior.

The solution to this problem will be providing a means for the trapped air from closing the door to be vented from the vehicle interior by a one-way valve which lets the air out but does not let air in, A valve/flap of this type may have been installed by RRMC when your vehicle was assembled and has since been removed/disabled/not functioning.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: