Silver Cloud 1 manual gearbox Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Silver Cloud 1 manual gearbox « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2018 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is it true that SS1 were ever available with a four speed manual gearbox from Crewe. And if so where was the gearlever? The reason I ask is one is available in Oz from a very high priced dealer for $65,000AUD.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2018 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you mean SS or SC?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2894
Posted on Sunday, 20 May, 2018 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Not to my knowledge however an after-market conversion by an owner with deep pockets who valued driving with a manual gearbox would be a possibility.

Even today, my preference is for a manual car and not an automatic however these are a dying breed and I will have to start collecting good manual cars for "keepers" before they are deleted completely.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.148.48.135
Posted on Sunday, 20 May, 2018 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There was one only 1959 Silver Cloud with a manual gearbox as the purchaser refused to have it with the automatic.
It is a modified MK VI with the Continental ratio, and the rear housing has an extension with extended selector shafts as the gear change gate is 8 1/2" further back in the frame. The gear change gate is in the usual spot on the right.
A small number of S1,s and S1 Continentals had the same gearbox.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, 20 May, 2018 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steve Lovatt of Ristes Motors once pointed me to a S1 in his shop with manual gearbox while I was on visit to see progress of work on my 20/25 HP. He told me that this was a very rare car. So I can confirm what Christopher wrote.
I guess that this "special edition" was not very sucessful, as the manual gearbox with the torque of the 4.9 Litre engine must have been overstressed. It is known that the manual gearbox was already on its limits with the 4.5 Litre engine.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.148.48.135
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The manual gearbox is currently coupled to over 300 R-R B80/B1 engines, one has done 77,000 miles and several approaching that. The R Type and S1 Continentals from Padgett Motors have engines exceeding 265 BHP.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: