1962 Silver Cloud II Long Wheel Base ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » 1962 Silver Cloud II Long Wheel Base - Rear Shock Absorbers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Igor Drohobyczer
Yet to post message
Username: collector

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 12 May, 2017 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello:
I am new on this forum and posting from sunny Las Vegas. I have a 1962 RR Silver Cloud II LWB. I was told by one mechanic that the rear shock absorbers need to be fixed. Ordered the kits for repacking said shocks but the supplier had no instructions. Can someone here help with these instructions?
Please reply directly to my e-mail: igor_dro@hotmail.com thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 03:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your mechanic should know where to find this info but if not the instructions can be found here:

http://rrtechnical.info/sc/sc1/wshop/8.pdf

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Read the data provided and make you own decision. While for the trained and experienced this may be a very straight forward procedure, it is also a quite meticulous and detailed procedure in the truest Rolls-Royce style.

Concluding that "the shock absorbers need to be fixed" is one thing and as an owner, I would be curious to know the precise details as to the "why". Further, I would be seriously skeptical of any mechanic who is not thoroughly familiar with the intricacies of the Rolls-Royce machine, and especially as evidenced by an apparent lack of knowledge that detailed information is available in the appropriate service manual. I would suspect that working on "your" shock absorbers is to be the "learning curve" for this particular mechanic, and if this be so, is this a good decision??

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Igor,

DON'T DO ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE WATCHED RONNY'S VIDEO BELOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylYPmTGM_g

For an alternative perspective you can also view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWdK_J85kM

And if you need to replace the Silentbloc bushing, you can purchase the tool from:

http://www.sherbournemews.com/shop.htm#Extractor

All of this will provide hours of entertainment for your viewing pleasure. As well as that, you might learn something too.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 600
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 16:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
EXCELLENT links! The second, to Steve's House of Speed, is a perfect supplement to the service manual text. MUST VIEW!! Without it, a "detriot mechanic" unfamiliar with the ways of RR, would never figure it out...

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 17:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why thank you Christian! We aim to please.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: