1960 RR cloud 11 brake problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » 1960 RR cloud 11 brake problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, 05 May, 2014 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all just lost my more in depth post so I will be brief. A friend owns a 1960 Cloud 11 with bad brakes he left it with some one to fix it when got the car back it had the opposite problem the brakes came on and stay on. He ask me if I could have a go at it which I did I fitted new brake cylinders to the back wheels and rebuilt the front ones I also rebuilt the two master cylinders and took all the play out of the linkages all to no avail the servo is operating without any brake pedal appliance I did notice that someone brazed a new end on one of the servo rods probably to alter the length of same I would need to know what length these rods should be and any other advice or tips on getting these brakes to work as they should, all help is much appreciated thank you.

Richard.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Monday, 05 May, 2014 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok, firstly, from bitter experience, there is probably only one thing worse than having somebody who is not completely up to speed with these braking systems working on them . ......

And that is having two inexperianced people working on them!!

It doesn't matter how good the engineer is, the system is too "perculiar" to guess at. So no offence is intended.

Undo the brake pedal to servo linkage and see if the servo still operates.

If it does loosen off the two 1inch nuts to allow the required clutch free play. If the servo stops turning then that may have been the problem.

If the servo doesn't operate with the linkage off, then you have too little free play. You mention that you have adjusted all the free play out, but you need a certain amount in the system.

Good luck with this one. :-)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Monday, 05 May, 2014 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

First thing I would do if you haven't already done so is to browse the following repository of Silver Cloud and derivatives workshop information:

http://rrtechnical.info/sc/03_silver_cloud.htm

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, 05 May, 2014 - 19:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul thank you for your response I will do as you say today and get back with the results.

Hi David thank you and yes I have been reading the workshop manual to glean all the information that I know so far.
May I add that to me and others how much I rely on the information given freely on these pages.

Richard

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, 05 May, 2014 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard check out this clip, one of 6 parts re RR Cloud Brake system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jYSDEzjiCI
hk

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, 06 May, 2014 - 02:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all thumbs up to Paul Yorke hit the nail on the head thank you very much. and a very interesting group of tutorial videos from Hubert Kelly. and again thank you David it took the Welch the Australians and the Irish to sort this one out.

Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: