Bentley S1 Kingpins (1956 UK car)... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Bentley S1 Kingpins (1956 UK car) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 - 19:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had the car MOT tested yesterday. The examiner commented on slight lift on the nearside kingpin,compared to the offside, but no sideways play.Is this lift adjustable ? Any advice greatfully received.
Mark

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, 22 May, 2014 - 14:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mark
Pages 11 and 12 of the Suspension section of the Workshop manual on the RROCA website details the stub axle, "pivot pin" and bearings, with good exploded drawings. These parts are renewable if worn not adjustable.
Regards
David

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, 22 May, 2014 - 17:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mark
An addition to the above, you mention the lift, this is probably the, up to 0.007", permissible "end float". If more than this a new thrust washer must be fitted.
The text in the manual explains it well.
Regards
David

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, 22 May, 2014 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David, it looks as though I need to take the thrust washer out and investigate. I see replacements are available, or if the wear is elseware, I can machine an oversize washer.
I have had this car for 10 years and this is the first time the movement has been noted at Mot although the annual mileage last year was very low. First off, I will measure the endfloat.
Mark

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 - 06:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did you grease before the MOT? Annual Oil changes and grease ups are really important, even (especially) on low mileage cars.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 650
Posted on Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 - 20:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A boss I used to work for had a fairly seriously wobbly king pin (not RR/B) which he pumped grease into. It sailed through the MOT!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 - 20:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A fairly seriously wobbly motor trader used car body filler in a car king pin.

Sailed into us with an unhappy new owner next mot.

Seriously though. Grease Grease Grease. Don't ignore it or put it off. Same with oils.Engine annually. Others about 4 years.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I seem to recall the Silver Cloud had a "fourth pedal" that was used to pump grease along a network of pipes to various components on the car. Is this correct, or is it false memory on my part?

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Geoff,
No you remember correctly but it was only a third pedal as almost all Clouds had automatic gearboxes. The centralised lubrication system was a feature on all Rolls-Royces until the introduction of the Shadow. On the Clouds, the instruction in the owners manual was one pump of the pedal every 200 miles. This sent oil (not grease) to most of the steering and front suspension pivots. The system was simplified in the later Cloud 1's when the lubrication for the steering arms was altered to grease nipples. The oil tank sits on the bulkhead in the engine compartment above the steering column and the beautifully made foot pedal comes through the bulkhead and comes out close to where the clutch pedal would be on a manual car.

Kind regards,
Chris

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 - 00:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, my reply appears to have disappeared!.Yes the car was greased and full service prior to MOT and it is greased and brake drums removed every 6 months.All other oils inc brake fluid, are changed at 2 years or 6000miles, engine oil and filter annually or 3000 miles, whichever comes first.
I have also altered a grease gun so that all oil feeds to the suspension can be disconnected and be pressure lubricated with EP90 at service intervals in addition to the central lube system when on the road.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 469
Posted on Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 - 01:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply. I don't know why I said "fourth pedal"; I haven't owned a manual car in 10 years. Old habits and all that.

Needless to say, the unit in the picture is beautifully restored.

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 - 02:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't start searching for one on your 2 or 3. They were gone by then!

Mark, I wish all owners were that diligent, both for their pockets sake as well as the cars :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: