SCII Hydramatic Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » SCII Hydramatic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Balfour
New User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 20 October, 2012 - 14:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have finally had confirmed that the hydramatic needs to be removed from my SC II for a complete overhaul. I was told by one member that the engine needed to be removed, but a quick check of the service manual shows that is not the case with an SC II. The next issue for the transmission guy is that while the transmission is out of the car, he will need the hoist freed up for other cars. As the rear engine mounts are attached to the gearbox bell housing, some type of framework will be required to support the back of the engine while the car is pushed around the workshop. I was wondering if a dimensioned drawing / sketch of such a frame may already exist? I will need to have one fabricated before he can pull the box out otherwise the car will be stranded with a jack under the back of the motor. Of course maybe there is an easy solution that someone may be able to suggest. I am all ears! Many thanks in adavnce,

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, 20 October, 2012 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David, if you have no success with a diagram, how about your mechanic using the gearbox as a template to design a cross member to secure into where mounts currently are?.
hk

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Saturday, 20 October, 2012 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David/ Try a bit of ingenuity. If it was a Shadow you could use a bridging support that sits on the top of the valances and a series of chains and brackets that can be fastened to the engine. If that is not practical, in the days when I was mad enough to do these heavy jobs in my own garage, I used to loop a chain around the chassis, under the back of the engine and over the other side of the chassis.

Whatever you please grab some snap shots and let's put them in Tee One Topics at least so that the next S2 owner has some guidance.. The last one I did was on a Phantom VI and we just support the engine under the sump as the hoist was ours for the duration.

David Balfour
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 21 October, 2012 - 18:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Hubert and Bill. I did consider your idea myself Hubert, but I don't want to tie up the hoist while something is fabricated in case it doesn't happen quickly. Bill, I will get them to try your idea of using chains shackled between the chassis rails. It was also suggested to me today that with appropriate padding and bonnet removal, that even the tops of the guards are sufficiently strong if supported over large enough an area. As a mechanical engineer, I intuitively feel more comfortable with the chain and rails idea though. Thanks for the ideas chaps. I will ask the mechanic to take a few snaps of the process for Tee-one topics Bill.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2012 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David, I just read this article today very interesting. http://www.kda132.com/Technical/SectionF/Hydramatic2/Hydramatic2_1.html
HK

David Balfour
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 13 December, 2012 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys just an update on the Hydramatic. It is now repaired and re-assembled and is in the car - almost. The engine support issue was resolved with a - ratchet strap! Around the chassis rails and ratcheted up until it was firmly in place. A nice wide one is plenty strong enough. My current issue concerns the rear engine mounts. Another mechanic inspected the car and gave me a list of faults to remedy. He said that the rear engine mounts were fitted backwards. He said that the overlapping metal plates are meant to take the load in a collision, protecting the rubber section alone from taking the impact loads and failing setting the motor free. Now I am not with the car an cannot see what the assembly looks like and would like the transmission guy to resolve this while the mounts are being refitted. All attempt by me to find an exploded view of the mounting assembly, or photos have failed. I rang the other mechanic who undertook the earlier inspection for clarification but it was clear he was not going to help unless I brought the car in which obviously I cannot when it is in pieces elsewhere. Can anyone help me with a hand sketch, photo, parts guide exploded view etc. I need to act soon though or he'll just re-assembled the way it came apart. I also tried to contact Bill Coburn using the phone number in Praeclarum, but it gave a wrong number message.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Thursday, 13 December, 2012 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David/ Sorry about the number, we did ask Tim to change it but it hasn't happened. The number is 02 61617316. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll see if there is a pic but certainly the rear mount stops are there to stop the engine lurching forward when stoping or in the event of an accident. A similar setup is used on the Shadow on the front mount and the Mark VI used a tie bar at the rear of the gearbox.

Make sure your mounts are in good nick if they are old they can be as hard as the hobs of Hell and you will feel the vibration of every power stroke of the engine!

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2016 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill, I know this has been 4 years, but it has taken me this long to get the car on the road. I would say the engine mounts are hard, and yes I do feel the vibration of every power stroke. I thought the exhaust might not have been properly isolated from the chassis, and in places I think the supporting strap is also pretty hard. Just so many big fish to fry at present.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: