B319LH disgraces herself... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » B319LH disgraces herself... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Cutler
Frequent User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, 27 April, 2008 - 12:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, so I have had a bit of practice on removing the head from the R Type, however the head is still firmly in place. Now the MK VI has blown the head gasket between #2 and #3 cylinders. luvverlyyy..........

Anyone taking bets on if the head will come off this one?

Marty

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 794
Posted on Sunday, 27 April, 2008 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin,

I will bet on Murphy's Law applying this time .

The head will come free as soon as you undo the studs.

Good Luck
David

Martin Cutler
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, 27 April, 2008 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi david,

My thoughts where to leave the carburettors on the head, and remove them in one peice, firstly removing all the nuts, and firing it up.

We covered just over 900 km's on the weekend, with both cars averaging 18.5 litres per 100 km. My mate was driving B319LH, and he only noticed it idling rough, but it smoothed out when under way. He thought it was a fluffy plug, and we continued to travel at 55 -60 mph. I have 120 psi in the other pots, and 50 psi in #2 & #3, plus a fair bit of hissing......

Question, can the R type gasket fit on a 4 1/4 MK VI?

Marty

Laurie Fox
Experienced User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, 27 April, 2008 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that the studs on a 4 1/4 are in a slightly different position as opposed to the 4 1/2 and R Type blocks.

Laurie

Martin Cutler
Frequent User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, 28 April, 2008 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Laurie. Well, the head fell off, on the bench in 2 hours including stuffing around with the alternator bracket that was stopping the carbs and the temp sender from coming off easily. Hope the R Type was looking on......

My guess is that the head has not been retensioned properly by the previous mechanic that worked on it. Gasket is burnt through between 2 & 3. No other damage. Should be an easy repair, and back on the road asap.

Marty

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Tuesday, 29 April, 2008 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Correct, Laurie. The patterns are quite different, and the 4 1/4 even has smaller diameter studs I recall. Also, there is no way a 4 1/4" head will fit a 4 1/2" motor.

RT.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, 29 April, 2008 - 10:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another successful application of Murphy's Laws .

Sometimes things do happen with a minimum of fuss.

DG

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: