1953 Bentley R Type Hand Crank Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » 1953 Bentley R Type Hand Crank « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Marriott
New User
Username: 53rtype

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 17 May, 2023 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Years ago I had a friend who thought it was manly to kick start his high compression Harley. A bit of work, but yah, it was manly.

Until the day it kicked back and hurt him real bad. It was back to electric start after that.

So, other topic, I thought it would be fun to try that big ol' starting handle that's just enjoying a leisurely life in the trunk.

Do you know what it takes to hand crank a Bentley? More hours in the gym than I've spent. Crickey, I managed to move it somewhat. Back to the shiney button on the dash.

Curious... anyone ever actually hand crank their car successfully? Video!!!! lol

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2023 - 18:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I crank my MKVIs often, just for the fun.The R Type has a damaged ring gear so that is only crank start. When I used to drive them for weddings, I had a starter fail and happily cranked it for the rest of the day, in a suit.

Joe Marriott
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 20 May, 2023 - 02:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl in a suit. lol

Carl

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 496
Posted on Saturday, 20 May, 2023 - 03:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do sometimes, but it kicked back once, so unless it's an emergency, I don't do it anymore.

Fortunately I didn't hurt myself.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.39.245.21
Posted on Saturday, 20 May, 2023 - 19:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A fine looking Australian, he looks a bit like my eldest son, who is about twice my size.

Keep "Waltzing that Matilda".

(Message approved by david_gore)

Joe Marriott
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 21 May, 2023 - 19:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found this Modified Starting Handle Guide on KDA132.

I've added it to my "List of things I'll probably never get around to"

application/pdfModified Starter Handle Guide
Starting-Handle.pdf (258.6 k)

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, 23 May, 2023 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For clarity

Joe Marriott
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 23 May, 2023 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Classy!

BillVatter
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 174.163.105.212
Posted on Monday, 29 May, 2023 - 23:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When you use the starting handle (crank) wrap your fingers and thumb all in the same direction around the grip. The natural way is to have your thumb opposite your fingers, but if you hold it like that, it can break your thumb if it kicks.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jason Watson
New User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 30 July, 2023 - 05:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you also get it to top of compression, then give it your best.

Would that be from top down, or bottom up hoping to crank over the top for a second compression.

You can tell I have never done it.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, 30 July, 2023 - 20:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As second place holder of the Veteran Car Club cold start competition. 9 seconds from cold. -2c. Including a lap around the car.
I find pulling up compression to 9 o'clock position then a sharp pull to 12 o'clock works best. There is a school of thought to put your right hand on left headlight and pull over from 11 o'clock with left hand. The theory is if it kicks back it will throw your hand away.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, 30 July, 2023 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://youtu.be/H6bYSqbIM-w

Jason Watson
New User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, 31 July, 2023 - 04:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
9 seconds from -2 cold. Does that transend to the wife? Any tips.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: