R-Type Front Springs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » R-Type Front Springs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Gray
New User
Username: mooney1el

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2022 - 02:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone happen to know the free length and compressed length of the front coil springs on an R-type. My car, B351SP, needs new springs as the lower coil on the right side is broken.

I will do the job safely using Kelly Opfer's factory duplicated tool.

Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4128
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2022 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Christopher Carnley has asked me to post the picture below of his spring compressor:

"This is my own version of the tackle as the original was worn to a dangerous extent.

From memory, the free spring length is about 18".

DSC

Richard Gray
New User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2022 - 02:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David and Christopher. That tool looks like the one that Kelly makes. It might seem expensive but extra safety is required when doing this job. I had a friend who was injured doing a similar job on a Triumph. The spring exited the vehicle with great force and travelled between his legs. He was lucky with just minor injury.

EPW Front Spring Tool

https://www.britishtoolworks.com/product-page/rr-b-epw-front-spring-compressor

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.159.182.218
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2022 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Read Service Bulletin No BB39, found in the Post War Technical Library on this site.
You will also require a compression bolt to enable you to remove the damaged spring.

For this see the MK VI Workshop Manual, Section "C" Workshop Tools, page 3.
You will also need a compression/decompression pot
as shown on p4, to compress the replacement spring which along with the blind bolt, is required to refix the spring.

Ensure the hole in the top of the suspension cross member is sound or else the hook on the compressor
will not engage.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Gray
New User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2022 - 03:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Christopher. I have read the manual. Kelly's tool comes complete with the compression bolt. I have the appropriate materials in house to create the required compression/decompression pot.

I have the production drawing for the spring and using the information on that drawing I have calculated the nominal designed free length. I have also asked Flying Spares for that dimension and their supplier reports that the free length of their supplied after market springs is 12". Since there is facility to use shims, a free length of 12" will suffice for most but is not the designed free length as I calculated..

To try to understand further the data on the drawing, I have also measured the installed length on 5 springs of similar vintage Rolls-Royce or Bentley cars and all suggest that the 6.43" "normal length" shown on the factory drawing is in fact the designed installed length.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.39.245.93
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2022 - 03:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

I made a compression " pot" from 2 lengths of 4" wide steel channel section, with holes drilled for the compression bolt and 2 lengths of 14mm HT (8.8)threaded rod.

Compressing the spring with an electric spanner is hard work.

Then I modified my secondary hydraulic press, but the spring made that groan!

C.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Gray
New User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2022 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree, Christopher. If we consider that the spring rate for these springs is 260 lbs/in and we need to compress from 12.75" down to about 4.2" the resulting normal force would be over 2200 lbs. Our pots must be properly designed to safely handle the load and not allow the spring to suddenly exit the fixture. }

Richard Gray
New User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, 16 October, 2022 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Uh Oh - I made a mistake in a post above. I have verified that the Flying Spares supplier provided springs is indeed the 12.75" as calculated from the data shown on the production drawing. So there should be no issue using those springs should anyone order from them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: