Horn Placement on Mk Vi chassis Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Horn Placement on Mk Vi chassis « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.30.122.24
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2006 - 17:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

refitting the lucas special equipment high & low horns to the freestone & webb, only problem is I didn't take them off - anybody know where they should go? I am guessing at bolted to the very front of the chassis under the valance, looked at an r type today with altette horns bolted here. Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

Marty

(Message approved by david_gore)

Marty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.30.114.103
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2006 - 17:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looked at David Peteron's MK VI last weekend, the horns are bolted under the guards, with the trumpets aimed out the air vents below the headlights. Freestone & Webb has air vent tubing running from these vents to the foot wells, so I have gone with under the front valance.

Cheers

Marty

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, 08 October, 2006 - 11:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmm Sorry Marty I missed this and hope it gets to you. Coachbuilt cars as I remember had the horns mounted under the centre apron and were bolted to the bumper supports.

Martin Cutler
New User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2007 - 18:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

I mounted the horns at the front under the apron, and they worked beautifully. Then, 1 stopped working. Last weekend, the other one stopped working. Time to investigate. Both where full of water! As I undid the centre screw to take the covers off, they drained out rusty water, not good. How did the water get in there? I fitted rubber grommets in the holes where the wires feed in. The steel covers are a fairly tight fit over the bases. I can only mount them cover side down, as the don't fit the other way with the brackets. What do you suggest? I didn't realise they had been there for 12 months, going by the date of this thread. How time flies! Any suggestions how the water got there? I don't wash the car with a hose, (not allowed to!), only a bucket and chamois. Yes, I drive it in the rain, but how did it get up there under the front apron? How do I stop this from happening again.

Horns now sound terrible, like strangled cats....
Cheers

Marty

Leho Proos
New User
Username: lehoproos

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2007 - 23:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Marty:
I would guess that you mounted the horns with the trumpets pointing forward. When driving in rain this is a sure method of funneling water into the horns.
Suggest that you mount horns with trumpets pointing sideways (either both in or both out). Alternatively, construct sheet metal sheilds that are somewhat larger that the trumpet flares and mount an inch or so ahead of the trumpets. This may mute the horns somewhat, but better slight muting than no horns.
Leho

Martin Cutler
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 19 October, 2007 - 16:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Leho,

Horns where pointing out to the sides, they don't fit if you point them out the front. if only it was that simple.......

Marty

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 760
Posted on Saturday, 20 October, 2007 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also helps if they can be angled down so they are self-draining - the sound also bounces very effectively on paved surfaces but not so good on dirt.

Martin Cutler
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 24 October, 2007 - 23:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I stripped, cleaned, lubricated and adjusted the horns, they now sound beautiful again. No water had entered from the horn outlet side, I can only guess the water had sat on top of the horns, and slowly drained into the domes, which are quite a tight fit on the bases, but obviously not water tight. Then, sacriledge, I drilled drain holes next to the central screw hole in the domes. Next time I drive in the rain, they should self drain....

Not really any room to angle them down, they would hang too low, as they are quite long. The smaller Altette type horns on the R Types would benefit from this, but not the bigger Lucas ones.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: