Very Confusing Degree Marks on the Fl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Very Confusing Degree Marks on the Flywheel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, 23 July, 2021 - 15:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If one looks in the manual it clearly states that IO is 12 degrees from TDC and EC 6 degrees after TDC, but taking actual measurements, it's not even close.

I was going to add some more timing marks to get a better idea when setting the ignition timing.

Is RR talking about cam shaft degrees on the flywheel, but that still makes no sense to me.
The cam shaft makes two revolutions per one revolution of the flywheel, so if one doubles up the space, it still does not get to my 12 degree mark.

It has to be actually 12 degrees and 6 degrees, it has to add up to 360 on the flywheel, but it doesn't.

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, 23 July, 2021 - 22:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are different camshafts, different flywheels, and different books containing specifications. You really need all three to match if you want to make sense of it.

The data you quote is for a Silver Wraith. The flywheel you show is for a Bentley.

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, 23 July, 2021 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The data for a Bentley:

inlet opens 3.5 deg. after TDC
Inlet closes 43.5 deg. after BDC
Exhaust opens 40.5 deg. before BDC
Exhaust closes 1.5 deg. before TDC

Data is for valve clearance set to 0.030 inch, the "flywheel marking clearance."

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, 24 July, 2021 - 01:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bill, that makes sense now !

NORMANGEESON
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.99.74.184
Posted on Friday, 23 July, 2021 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff

The dimensions that you are seeking for your flywheel are 3.5 degrees and 1.5 degrees.

Unfortunately, you have made the classic error of using measurements from a manual for early flywheels. Even with the correct flywheel marking data you will need to know the part number of the camshaft that is fitted.

Although some four camshaft part numbers are commonly listed, in fact, at least nine camshafts and two more variations were used across the six-cylinder post war range. The flywheel markings, except for TDC, will be of little use to you.

If you have not fully modified the damper and also increased the slipping torque, as R-R did, any static settings will go out of the window once the engine has bedded in.

The best you can do is set the timing at (IO) inlet opens @TDC, with No 1 inlet valve tappet set at 0.030 inch / 0.035 inch. With that setting the inlet valve will open 26.3 degrees BTDC and open for 304 degrees. You will find this opening is far longer than any Ferrari, Aston, Jaguar or American engines. For that reason of long valve opening duration, I would suggest you keep to the factory spec.

Norman

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, 26 July, 2021 - 09:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This thread is not about cam shaft timing, it's about ignition timing, and my confusion about the degree marks on the flywheel; and that has been solved, or at least it has satisfied me.
Yes the distributor is effected from the movement of the damper, but not really since there is so little movement of the damper, it doesn't affect the ignition timing, even more so when the engine is idling at around 400 to 600 rpm, the damper is not even doing anything because the crank shaft isn't even flexing at that speed.
If the damper springs are broken, the the ignition timing may very well be affected, but then the damper will have to be repaired and a timing light may even show the fluctuating spark because the damper is moving around to the point that's effecting the ignition timing.
If the damper was in this state, I would think the car would not be drivable at highway speeds, and most likely the crank would have a catastrophic failure.

At any rate the part number of my cam shaft is RE 19517, from this thread and all it's info on the subject.
My question was not really answered on the last post, just to bring that up.

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/16999/41837.html?1627256905

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Monday, 26 July, 2021 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff;

Christopher Carnley has asked me to post the following contribution on his behalf:

Chart

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: