Mk VI Brake master cylinder Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mk VI Brake master cylinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, 26 August, 2005 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all

The brake master cylinder on my Mk VI B108CF does not hold fluid. It simply pours out. I imagine I need to remove it and replace all the seals? I would appreciate any advice on this please.

The brakes still seem to work, but it requires a strong-legged driver. What effect does a non-operational master cylinder have on the system? Do the front brakes still work?

Kind regards

KC

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 873
Posted on Friday, 26 August, 2005 - 20:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You have no front brakes whatsoever, as they are purely hydraulic.

You can buy a repair kit very cheaply from PBR. It is something like a K1 woth piston or K1X without from memory. They are standard items used on fork lift trucks and the like. The master cylinder is easily removed with the battery cover removed.

Also, any brake shop will re-sleeve a worn or pitted master cylinder in stainless steel or bronze. Mine (R-Type) was sleeved in bronze by the Sydney dealer in 1970 or so. After sleeving, they last forever. The same applies to wheel cylinders for seals and sleeves.

RT.

KC Saayman
Frequent User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, 26 August, 2005 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard. Who is PBR? I am in South Africa. Do they have a website?

Regards
KC

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 874
Posted on Friday, 26 August, 2005 - 21:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

See:

http://www.pbr.com.au/

They are worldwide, but originally Australian. I am sure that you can mail order parts anyhow. I forget the wheel cylinder diameters, but they may be 1 1/4": they are easily measured, as is the master cylinder (1" ?). Any brake shop should stock these items.

Have fun !

RT.

KC Saayman
Frequent User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2005 - 16:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning

Thank you for all your advice on my master cylinder, and herewith a quick update. Some fellow club members pointed me to a local company that will re-sleeve and overhaul the master cylinder at a most reasonable price. So, I removed the cylinder last night. I was interested to again discover that the previous owner had painted all the bolts and nuts with black paint (I previously found the same on my Series 1 Land Rover). At first I cursed the previous owner, but then discovered why he did it. Once you break the paint seal, the bolts and nuts underneath are in perfect condition! There is no rust or corrosion, so I had no trouble removing the master cylinder.

Have any of you come across this practice before? I will probably not do the same, as I prefer to use copper grease to keep corrosion away from bolts and nuts.

Regards
KC

KC Saayman
Frequent User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, 09 September, 2005 - 15:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another update – I collected the master cylinder yesterday, and fitted it last night. I managed to get as afar as bleeding the brakes before she who must be obeyed told me to come in for dinner. I look forward to road testing the car this weekend. Will report back.

Have a great weekend!

KC

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 528
Posted on Saturday, 10 September, 2005 - 16:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

KC's experience reminded me of an experience of a friend many years ago preparing to emigrate to Australia and bringing his Hooper bodied Silver Dawn out with him. Thinking that a boot full of spares would not be a bad asset he acquired among other bits an overhaul kit for the master cylinder. No sir they are not available he was told. You will have to buy the whole unit since repairing the old one may cause leaks. No amount of protest would move the agent so he complied. Eventually in Australia he needed indeed to replace the master cylinder. All fitted he filled the reservoir with brake fluid only to be greeted with a steady seeping drip from the side of the unit- there was a hole in it!!! He was not unkind enough to return the unit back to the old dart!! It was fixed with the application of a little epoxy!

KC Saayman
Frequent User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2005 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all

I am pleased to report that the car road tested very well. The front brakes are back in action!

Regards
KC

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: