Proper Ignition Condensor Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Proper Ignition Condensor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 879
Posted on Tuesday, 04 September, 2018 - 16:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The manual mentions that the specification for the ignition condenser is simply "one microfarad".
It seems to me that condensors are generic components rather than RR manufacture so that any aftermarket one microfarad condenser should work and they are probably available from any auto parts store for a few dollars.
Is this a valid assumption, or should I go to the usual suppliers who cost about $25 or so. Just curious. Problem is that auto parts stores are controlled by computers that want to know "make, model, year, serial number" and I say, "No, I just want a condenser, one microfarad" which provokes the blank start that only an auto parts employee can make, usually followed by "What's the application?" and I again say "0ne microfarad condenser" and round and round.
No luck on EBay searching for "1 mfd ignition condenser". I realize this is trivial in the greater scheme of things, but ask just the same....

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, 05 September, 2018 - 03:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can't find one because a one microfad condensor is not a specification used in anything else. Pretty well every manufacturer of a points type distributor would use one of about .25 microfarads. That's a quarter of the value you are looking for. If you are using a one mf cap I would expect your points to burn away within a few hundred miles. I think it was Gary Phipps on the RROC forum that has done a lot of research into EPW cap values and their effects on the points life. If you get a condensor for a 1965 GMC pickup 6 cylinder engine it will work just fine.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, 05 September, 2018 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And here is some useful information on replacement condensors: http://nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 882
Posted on Wednesday, 05 September, 2018 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jim...
Thanks for the link to condenser information. I love it when someone takes something apart to do an analysis!
Thanks also for prompting me to go back and check the handbook for the 1 mfd specification. Not surprisingly I was wrong! Oh, the horror! Turns out the reference was for the coil condenser and NOT the distributor condenser. The section discussing the points simply says "a condenser" without further specification. I suppose that I was misled by the illustration of the distributor and its condensers directly adjacent. None the less, the issue regarding a suitable substitute for the ignition condenser was valid.
Thanks again for correcting me!

Frank Linares
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 83.55.186.133
Posted on Sunday, 09 September, 2018 - 16:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use condensers and rotors from this company and so far none have failed

http://www.distributordoctor.com/distributor_condensers.htm

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: