Please info about vehicle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Please info about vehicle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Perrin
Yet to post message
Username: lomh_13

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 27 August, 2018 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone. New on this forum from France, so sorry for my english.
I want to buy a 1950 MK6 wich seems in good state, but not sold after more than one year.
So I think that there is perhaps a problem with this car.
Chassis number B265FU

I'll apreciate your help.

Regards

David Hughes
Frequent User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, 28 August, 2018 - 17:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert
Welcome to the forum.
It would be helpful for members of the forum to know where the car is located, photo's are also helpful.
With any car of this type it is always prudent to obtain a pre-purchase inspection by a qualified/experienced person familiar with this model.
Chassis cards for these cars are available for a reasonable fee from the RREC in UK.
Regards
David

Martin Webster
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.148.57.27
Posted on Thursday, 30 August, 2018 - 04:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, B265FU is a James Young 2door design number C10AM . The engine number should be B382F. It was originally registered in October 1950 . It is one of 16 cars with this style of coach work. According to Bernard King’s Complete Classics Mk VI book it was last known in the UK in 2005. It was last taxed in the UK in November 1980 and no MOT information is available from DVLA . It is still on the DVLA database. It’s last UK registration was SV 2256. Hope this helps a little.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Perrin
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 31 August, 2018 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks to you for these informations.
I'll see the car now.
I don't know if it is a good idea to buy this type of car. I have Daimler, Triumph etc, witch I service by myself.
But this mecanic seems to be different...
Have read some threads on this forum, is seems not simple.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, 04 September, 2018 - 16:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert...
The possible "problem" with the car may be the price, but any two-door (coupe) is desirable and thus more costly. If a convertible coupe, prices can go up considerably more. Can you let us see a photo?
Compared to more modern RR and B (Shadows and et cetera), those from the 1950s are quite straight forward to maintain.

Martin Webster
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.147.174.213
Posted on Tuesday, 04 September, 2018 - 23:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The car is on a Belgian website. I don’t think it is good protocol to name it but it is easily found. These two door ash framed cars suffer from exaggerated door gaps due to the failure of the A post after many years. This one is no exception. One can see witness marks where the leading edge of the door has scratched the coachwork. It looks generally unloved, the engine is dirty and untidy and the undersheets are missing. The advert states it is a 4.5L engine but this chassis was originally fitted with a 4.25 L ,it also has the earlier carbs fitted so I assume it is a 41/4. The interior has been retrimmed with what looks like thin domestic carpet. All in all, probably not a bargain but if it was to be returned to its original glory, a very beautiful car.
Martin

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3005
Posted on Wednesday, 05 September, 2018 - 08:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher Carnley has asked me to post the following photograph of B265FU on his behalf:

B265FU

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 885
Posted on Wednesday, 05 September, 2018 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher...
Thanks. Yes. Very elegant in its day.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, 05 September, 2018 - 15:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Checked the website. Yes. Optimistically priced however if you are in love with the style and a mechanical check indicates that it is sound (other than the old cracked tires!) and you want it for a driver, offer 30,000 euros.

Robert Perrin
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 08 September, 2018 - 17:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for your reply. The seller told me that there is a problem with the gearbox, the doors and certainly other things.
The body colour, white and green with blue seats and green carpet is a special choice too...
I think I'll pass as the seller dont want to lower the price.
The car today

Martin Webster
Yet to post message
Username: martin_webster

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 09 September, 2018 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my opinion that is a very sound decision Robert. This vehicle has so many obvious and not so obvious defects that it could be a recipe for disaster. Just offering a random amount is not a really sensible idea when one has little idea of the cost of rectification of the faults .

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3007
Posted on Sunday, 09 September, 2018 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher Carnley offers the following comment and accompanying photograph:

Would you place the picture and comment on the info required thread please?

"It would make someone a good Racing Green Special 3/8 Racer".

racer

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: