Mk VI Fuel pump pressure please Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mk VI Fuel pump pressure please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.155.180.123
Posted on Wednesday, 17 November, 2004 - 20:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, Could somebody tell me what the fuel pump pressure should be for a 1948 Bentley Mk VI 4.25?
I want to replace the electric points fuel pump with electronic modern pump. Has anybody done this to there car already? What make/model pump did you fit? Was it straight forward?
Many thanks Mark Anson (UK)

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jim Bettison
New User
Username: jim_b

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 18 November, 2004 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
Have you considered replacing the mechanical points in your existing SU pumps with a solid-state conversion?

The present-day manufacturers and suppliers of SU pumps, Burlen Fuel Systems, sell conversion kits. I fitted these to our MkVI about 2 (or more) years ago, and they work well and efficiently. Saved a job of fabricating and fitting mounting adaptors and piping ditto.

So far I've found only one disadvantage: the pumps won't work with a supply voltage lower than 10.5V. But if that happens, you've got other problems anyway ...

If you're interested, look for Burlen on the web and take it from there.

Good luck,

Jim.

Martin Cutler
New User
Username: martin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 18 November, 2004 - 15:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I considered this option, but went with overhauling the standard points setup. The only difference I could see was that on the side of the road you have a chance to sort out burned points, etc. When the electronic unit fails, you are calling for a tow. However, with 2 pumps, this would be unlikely. It's nice to listen to the pumps building up pressure when you turn the ignition on, if one pump is not working, you can quickly hear it. The SU pump is a push pump, not a pull pump like a mechanical pump running off a camshaft. Not sure of the pressure, but a lot of people have problems with excessive fuel pressure when they convert their vacuum tank systems on pre war cars to an electric pump. The answer is an inline fuel pressure regulator. These are available from after market shops, usually fitted to race cars.

What is wrong with your current setup?

Marty

Mark
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.155.180.115
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2004 - 01:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, Thanks for your answers. There is nothing wrong with the original set up I have on B72DA, my main concern is reliability. I am starting a wedding car business in 2005 and want the cars to be trouble free. I am converting it to negative earth (for a modern alarm for insurance purposes, fitting modern CD player (out of sight) and the ignition kit is negative earth.) The fuel pump is one of those things that can go wrong, especially as the car won't be used for some of the year. I have a Daimler limo that has faulty points, I have to tap it with a hammer to get the pump running. Not very professional thing to be doing on a wedding!!
Cheers Mark

(Message approved by david_gore)

Martin Cutler
New User
Username: martin

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

I use mine for weddings to, and use my MG Magnette for every day use, which also runs an SU pump in the boot, alas only a single one though. I had the twin unit rebuilt professionally before putting the car back on the road, and have since done 14,000 miles over 6 years, 90% of this on weddings. The original setup is reliable. I have a spare twin pump sitting on the shelf, I think the seals will dry up and crack before they get any use. The only thing that has stopped me on a wedding was a coil breaking down. Thankfully it was on the way home, and the car is set up with a spare coil from original, (somebody was thinking). Modern cars break down too you know! In tank fuel pumps in Holden Commodores are a pain!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: