Chassis number information Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Chassis number information « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mark
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.156.143.20
Posted on Sunday, 21 November, 2004 - 05:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, Does anybody have details of what the digits in my chassis number mean please? I have no history with my car so I am trying to get some together. Also can any info be taken from the UK registration number? I beleive its original.

My number is B72DA and its a 1948 Bentley MkVI Standard Steel with the UK registration number GVE 503.

Kind regards Mark Anson

(Message approved by david_gore)

Martin Cutler
New User
Username: martin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2004 - 20:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

My little black book tells me Series D, chassis numbers B2-DA to B500-DA where built from June 1948 to January 1949. There where 250 chassis in the DA series. So 72 was the 36th chassis made, fairly early in the run. If it has resided in the UK all it's life, it is one of 3,251 made for the home market. Only 184 where sent to Oz in 4 1/4 litre size, and only 46 came here in 4 1/2 litre format. Mine (B256MD) came via Signapore, and according to the book, the only one!

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 15:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin

May I be a bother and ask what your little black book has to say about my Mk VI B108CF? I am particularly interested in the same info you gave Mark, as I only know the car’s history from the time it was shipped to South Africa. I’d like to know when exactly it was built and how many there were in the series etc.

Thanking you in advance

KC

Martin Cutler
Experienced User
Username: martin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 23 November, 2004 - 20:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi KC,

No worries, it is a book written by the Bentley Drivers Club back in 1973, when Rolls Royce gave them all the chassis documents for all the cards. Imagine sorting through that lot!

28 4 1/4 MK VI's where exported to South Africa, and no 4 1/2 Mk VI's, and 1 R Type.

The CF cars went from B2-CF to B500-CF, 250 chassis in all. First one built November 1947, last one April 1948. Being the 54th chassis built, I would guess beginning of december, (250 cars over 5 months, 50 cars a month).

Almost time for her birthday party!

Cheers

Marty

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, 24 November, 2004 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much! That just about completes the research of B108CF’s history. The car was shipped to South Africa in February 1948, and delivered to Sir Michael Oppenheimer in March 1948. The information you have just given me tallies with that.

Thanks again.

KC

Mark Anson
New User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 25 November, 2004 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank You Martin, That info is great. I have just sent off to DVLA (£5.00) for the complete list of previous owners. i am hoping to send letters or phone them and see what people can tell me about my car. Tony Jenkin from the Bentley Drivers Club UK told me that the vehicle before mine on the production line B70DA is up and running well in Brazil. I don't know why but its nice to hear the past history of our Bentleys.....shame I don't feel the same about my 1998 Ford Mondeo!
Cheers Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: