1929 Rolls Royce Phantom I Riviera To... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » 1929 Rolls Royce Phantom I Riviera Town Car by Brewster « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Higley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 115.70.8.39
Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2018 - 15:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello my name is Mark Higley, i am student studying 3D modelling. For my main project i am modelling a realistic 1929 Rolls Royce Phantom I Riviera Town Car by Brewster, I am having some issues finding an accurate blueprint if there is anyone who could help me out or steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. If you require more images of the car or what i mean by blueprints please do not hesitate to email me thank you

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, 15 July, 2018 - 16:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark
It is highly unrealistic that you will find any blueprints for your project. At best you may find some line drawings (side elevation). When these bodies were built the skilled craftsmen had not much more than a fullsize line drawing in side elevation and maybe one or two sectional sketch. Their skill led them to create these wonderful forms. That's why no two cars are exactly the same.
You probably will have to go by photos. Modern 3D design programs may help you to translate (stereo)-photographs into useable drawings, going say from the wheelbase of these cars to find the right scale. That is how nowadays repro-coachbulders re-create such bodies.
JoT

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Sunday, 15 July, 2018 - 20:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

You might find the link below interesting reading if you do not have it already:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/brewster/brewster.htmhttp://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/brewster/brewster.htm

"In 1929, John S. Inskip, head of Rolls-Royce New York sales office, was appointed vice-president in charge of sales and became the guiding force of the firm’s coachbuilding activities for the next few years. Along with Brewster’s designer, Carl Beck, the pair created some of the best looking Rolls-Royce’s ever built. The service department at Rolls-Royce’s Manhattan showroom was closed and the Long Island City plant became the sole New York City service depot for Rolls-Royce.

The December, 1928 issue of Autobody reported on Brewster’s 1929 New York Salon exhibit:

Rolls-Royce exhibits will be chiefly with Brewster coachwork, but there will be two cars with bodies by Walter M. Murphy Co. The Brewster coachwork will be on a 4-passenger "Speedster" phaeton; a town brougham, with canework aft of the door pillar; Wim­bledon 4-passenger coupe; Newmarket 4-passenger convertible sedan, with engine-turned finish on the top of the bonnet, cowl and moldings, the interior being trimmed with tan broadcloth and brown leather, and the fitments being done in hammered French bronze; Salamanca de Ville. 4-passenger "sport enclosed drive" with the interior done in Bedford cord seats and broad­cloth lining; St. Alban 7-passenger enclosed limousine with interior woodwork in greenish curly maple and bright green inlay matching cloisonne inlay in the green-­bronze hardware; a St. Stephen 7-passenger landaulet, with all-weather front; a Lonsdale 7 -passenger en­closed limousine. The sport phaeton by Murphy is trimmed with a combination of leather and Bedford cord. The disappearing-top coupe with rumble seat by the same builder has seats trimmed with Bedford cord and lining of Baronial-grain leather."

When Rolls-Royce’s Phantom II was introduced in 1929, it was assumed that the Springfield plant would be retooled to produce it in the United States. However, the Depression changed the economic situation in the United States, and by 1930 it became apparent that retooling the Springfield plant was no longer a possibility.

The November 1929 issue of Autobody described the Brewster-bodied Rolls-Royces that were scheduled to appear at the 1930 Chicago Salon:

"Eight Rolls-Royce cars, with coachwork by Brewster, will be exhibited ranging from formal town cars to flash­ing sport models for the younger generation. A feature of all the closed bodies will be the use of the slanting windshield and slanting front door windows which lower without gaping. The Regent, a 2/4-passenger convertible coupe, finished in tan and cream, with polished-aluminum moldings, is shown at the bottom of the page. Other exhibits include the Huntington; a 7-passenger enclosed limousine finished in black and green and trimmed with a green figured broadcloth; fittings are of green inlaid bronze and the cabinetwork of green stained burl maple inlaid with green stripes; the St. Andrews, a 7-passenger limousine in black and maroon, with brown broadcloth upholstery, mahogany trim and bronze fitments with red inlay; St. Martin, a 5-pas­senger brougham finished in dark and light brown, with cream striping, and trimmed with brown broadcloth; the Dover, a 5-passenger sedan finished in Oxford Blue and black, the upholstery being a brown Heathertone and the fitments of French bronze; the Newmarket, a 4-passenger convertible sedan; a special sport roadster, with polished-aluminum moldings, and the Ascot, a 4­ passenger sport phaeton The last is one of the most dashing in the exhibit; it is finished in gunmetal lacquer and has sunken moldings of polished aluminum running from the radiator shell to aft of the front doors."

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MO17/Monterey/lots/r204-1929-rolls-royce-phantom-i-riviera-town-car-by-brewster/430363

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/VE11/Villa-d'Este/lots/r117-1929-rolls-royce-springfield-phantom-i-riviera-town-brougham-by-brewster-co/186900

Please note that I am not suggesting this as a short-cut:

http://www.britishheritagemodels.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6275015-1929-RollsRoyce-Phantom-1-Riviera-Town-car-Brougham-by-Brewster-Ltd-180-Chassis-sn-S390LR.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: