1926 New Phantom Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » 1926 New Phantom « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I saw the following ad (link below)

https://www.justcars.com.au/cars-for-sale/1926-rollsroyce-new-phantom/JCW4029340

for a 1926 New Phantom for sale in Qld. Now I don't know the seller, or the car, but it looked to my very uninformed eyes like a Springfield New Phantom, and the owner says it is worth a princely sum (asking $895,000 AUD).

The owner says he has history going back to delivery in the UK, and it's a Wilkinson Bros (Derby) Barrel Sided Tourer Body. Is this car then a British body on an American chassis?

May I say I do not wish to offend anyone, but curiosity has got the better of me, and I know there will be people here that will be able to tell us much just by looking at the photos.

I did see elsewhere what looked like a very nice New Phantom with a Wilkinson Brothers Barrel Sided Body for sale in the UK for 115,000 GBP ($202,000 AUD).

https://www.prewarcar.com/209541-rolls-royce-phantom-1-tourer-by-wilkinson-1929-for-sale

I'm not in the market or anything, just curious as to what I am seeing!

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 806
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
I'll take a stab at it. In any event the chassis number would be the way to know for sure. Looks like a British Issue with later Springfield bumpers added. I haven't bothered to check the books on Springfield but were they even organized and building in 1926? While they did make some RHD chassis, I cannot remember if those few were early in Springfield production or late and at the very end. At the end as I recall. The "RR" on the trunk does look a bit out of place to me.

Oh, yes, and a bit (a lot) pricey I would venture.

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 19:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Christian for your comment. Always appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: