Proper oils for rear end and gearbox Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » Proper oils for rear end and gearbox « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 - 16:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1934 Phantom II 126PY

I am draining the rear end oil and replacing with hypoid 90 per service data, but stop me if I err!

What about the gearbox? In another EPW thread Christopher Carnley properly pointed out the service bulletin that directs the use of heavier oil (Hypoid 80) rather than the 30 weight from the owner manual. Should the same be applied to the prewar gearboxes or should I follow the lubrication chart included in TSD 2066, the prewar service bulletin compilation which shows the use of 30 weight? Interestingly the service sheet alluding to the chart (RR/D2) is dated 1946, whereas the chart itself includes models up to and including the Cloud so presumably the chart is the most recent recommendation. Yes?

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The fluidity of EP 80 gear oil is about the same as SAE 30 engine oil. Gear oil does not use the same scale as engine oil.
And yes, follow the latest service bulletin of R-R that calls for gear oil both in the rear axle and the gear box.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 - 19:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas...
Thanks. I just double checked that chart and while it calls for Hypoid 90 in rear end, specifies SAE 30 engine oil, not gear oil, for the PII gearbox, whereas you seem to suggest EP80 gear oil both places. Did I read that correctly?

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.145.118.73
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

CHristian.
You can safely drain and re-fill the differential / axle with EP140, (only made by Castrol now,) and EP80/90 oil in the gearbox.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, 23 December, 2017 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian
The EP-additives in a modern EP80/90 will protect the surfaces of the 1st gear teeth that get the highest loading. These oils were not available at the time your car was built.

Peter Toet
Experienced User
Username: peterpackard

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, 24 December, 2017 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Christian, I would caution you on the use of GL5 Modern Gearbox oils in any gearboxes or differentials with bronze ( yellow metal) componentry, such as Synchromesh rings). GL5 oils have EP additives which will attack these metals. Use a GL4 Mild EP oil for older design with bronze rubbing blocks, etc. R-R would advise you of the correct lubricant.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.188.39.67
Posted on Sunday, 24 December, 2017 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

THe yellow metal "controversy" is pure hysteria, with no factual basis.
The synchromesh cones are high grade phosphor bronze, and resistant to dilute acids anyway.

Peter Toet
Experienced User
Username: peterpackard

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 25 December, 2017 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Mitsubishi Van specifies GL4 oils for the manual trans and GL5 for the differential. I would suggest that there is a factual basis to the recommendations. People may ignore them as the wish but should consult R-R for advice on the issue.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/difference-between-gl-4-gl-5-gear-oils-manual-transmission-daniel-shi

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.148.48.207
Posted on Monday, 25 December, 2017 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The factual basis without suggestion is that far more deterioration occurs to cars laid up and unused for long periods, over a month, due to condensation corrosion.

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, 26 December, 2017 - 14:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been using EP90 in a Mk VI for twenty years and 100,000 miles and the 'yellow metal' appears as new. I'm sure Chris Carnley will agree after seeing the pics. (Many thanks, Chris, only the tailshaft to go in now)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: