Draining Steering Box Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » Draining Steering Box « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 654
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1934 Phantom II - 126PY

To my horror I have found that a prior owner filled the steering box with grease rather than oil. I can only speculate the reason. Leaking maybe? Question is how to remove the grease. I do not see any way to drain the box which seems counter-intuitive. Do I just not see the drain plug? If it is possible to drain, will I be causing more problems by trying to use solvents to get the grease out? If there is no provision for draining, my only option seems to be to remove the cover (there is one) and try as best I can with appropriate tools to scoop out as much of the grease as possible, fill with oil, and hope for the best. Any ideas or suggestions?

Peter Toet
Experienced User
Username: peterpackard

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very common to fill with grease as leaks developed and seals were not replaced. Very effective in most cases. I would not be concerned with the amended routine. I would suggest that you use a Teflon grease for a top up. The ideal is of course to restore the steering box. Peter Toet

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 655
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 19:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter...
Thanks. So it is not the end of the world as I had so hastily concluded?? So...what is the best way to top up with more grease, or is it even necessary to have the box full to the same degree that it would be with oil? How do you arrange for the grease to get to the bottom of the box and completely envelop the gears rather than just fill the top with a void below? Is it perhaps added with a special cap in place of the hex plug that has a grease fitting and breather hole and once installed, the plug replaced? What about heating the grease until it becomes a fluid and then pouring it in where it will cool and regain its grease like viscosity?

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 23:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian, why not use a semi fluid grease https://www.classic-oils.net/Penrite-Semi-Fluid-Steering-Box-Lube or https://www.classic-oils.net/Morris-K4000EP-Semi-Fluid-Grease. Also handy for injecting into sealed balljoints etc
Mark

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 896
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 07:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like Marks take on this.

Richard.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.145.118.67
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,
It may be due to leaks, and apart from removing the control rods and the bottom nut, it can,t be drained.
You can remove most of the grease with a cheap oil sucking syringe, but I would top up with EP 140 gear oil and leave it.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 17:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Mark is on the "case" with the semi fluid grease.
This is a case of things have moved on since the car was manufactured IMO using EP 140 is dead duck, will still find a place to leak from when engine heat kicks in.
Land rover do swivel ball grease is a semi liquid moly grease that flows, albeit slowly. It comes in premeasured 375ml tubes, been using it for years.

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 19:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Mark.
I used Penrite steering box grease on my P11 (PY112) and was very happy with the result
Smooth steering and no more leaks.

Trevor Pickering

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 - 16:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to each for your input and ideas, all of which have merit. Under more perfect circumstances and had the grease already not been put into the box but the box was known to leak standard oil, I do believe that I would have gone with the semifluid product. However since there is already grease of unknown quantity installed, I will remove the box's cover to get a better view of what's inside and then probably scoop out some of the grease as is possible and top up with 140 weight that will fill any voids below the grease and hopefully over time mix with the grease to mimic the semifluid product...plan subject to modification once I get a better view of what's inside.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 - 17:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian
Try first what happens by mixing EP140 with the grease in the box. A spoon full of what you scoop out and the same amount of gear oil in an old tin can, heated moderately to a temperature expected in the engine compartment and then stir lightly (the worm and nut in the box will not stir it vigorously) and see if you get something looking like fluid grease or whether the grease will just swim in lumps in the gear oil.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.145.118.73
Posted on Friday, 22 December, 2017 - 19:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: