Proper Spark Plugs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » Proper Spark Plugs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 642
Posted on Wednesday, 13 December, 2017 - 17:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1934 Phantom II, 126PY, Freestone & Webb Sportsman's Saloon

Recently out of 15 year storage and fired right up after basic recommissioning tasks. I noticed that the spark plugs on the magneto side of the engine are Champion D-21 and on the coil ignition side are Champion D-23. I have found no references in the manuals or sparce service data as to whether these are the proper plugs, or something "make-do" from some time in the past. They are both still currently manufactured and are apparently commonly available for use in "industrial" applications. Are they proper? They certainly work fine when firing together, but when the two systems are isolated, "magneto only" seems to run just a tad smoother than "coil only" and I was thinking of putting a new set into the coil side, hence the question.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.145.118.0
Posted on Wednesday, 13 December, 2017 - 20:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Champion No 7.
Lodge. C3.
Consult Mr Wiki H Google, for the equivalents.
Most modern style 18 mm plugs have a tapered seating.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 644
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2017 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher...
Thanks for your Pre-War expertise. Same plugs for both sides...magneto and coil? The D-21 and D-23 are gasket rather than taper. Must have been installed some time in the past because they worked. I'll get the proper ones though.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.163.200.206
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2017 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,
The modern equivalent is Champion D16.

Did you get the nut taps?

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 646
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 10:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher...
Thanks for the reference. Will do.
No, on the nut repairs, it was not a critically disabling "pinching" at the taper end, just annoying and not 100% "proper" and I was in a rush to get onto another task so just reassembled (did not need to be forced...just a bit too snug for my liking) and made a mental note to add to the future "to do list". I am sure that the nuts on the other wheels will be in a similar condition as well.

Again...Thanks. You are one of the "go to" Pre-War and EPW guys, doncha know!

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

P.S. May I assume the answer to my "both sides" question is "yes"? Same plug gap for magneto as well as coil?? Thanks for clarifying. Some day I hope to find the owner manual as it will no doubt reveal a lot of these things. My as yet proceeding slowly move to Montana has my previously disorganized state of affairs totally out of control. I'm sure I got one from RROC many years ago. It's in a box somewhere probably...I hope!

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.176.214.111
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

Use the site.
Down load the Service Instruction Leaflets compiled after 1945 by Stanley Bull at R-R,
TSD 2066.
Enclosed is a fold out by R-R of all necessary maintenance data, dated 1957.

Distributor gap .018"
Magneto gap .014"
Plug gap .025".

C M (Saucered and blown).

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 649
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 15:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher...
Thanks...again! I'm rather sure I have acquired TSD2066 at some time in the past but can't find it. Thanks for the pertinent data. By serendipity, while looking thru boxes and piles of books hoping to find it, I found the service manual for the EPW Silver Wraith and Silver Dawn, so the fates smiled upon me! Search continues for the PII manual as well. I suppose that I will solve the issue by acquiring another. Can't have too many!

P.S. What is "saucered and blown"?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: